Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
dvd 0.01 torrent?
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    dorkmodorkmo

December 2011
    should we make a plan to have an official torrent of the dvd on the 25th?

• 7 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    MetzMetz

December 2011
    if you do put it up, I will seed it.

• Vote Up0Vote Down December 2011
    I will seed it as well.

• Vote Up0Vote Down December 2011
    I'll seed it too.  Am I missing something - where can we download the CSK?  I can't seem to find it on the website, wiki, or any mention on the forums?  Thanks

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    MetzMetz

December 2011
    I see a video but nothing else....

• i'd seed it too, i think a lot of people would - which gives me an idea, why doesn't someone make a little program to interface between ose and us home fanatics?   the home user could set a space on the HDD (10gig is nothing to most people now) in which it hosts files for torrents, although most the large files can simply be uploaded to youtube the availability of it as a single downloadable package will help people with poor connections, especially in distant locations (torrent is very good at handling poor connections) - it could also present news stories, requests for help and other info aggregated from the many web spaces.

Further tasks such as distributed computing could in time vastly help the project, I know it's fairly easy to slave blender renders to a farm -a few projects have already used distributed groups to perform rendering; i bet it'd drastically improve workflow if the CAD team could simply post items to a render cue rather than have to utilise their work units cycles.  This would allow larger volumes of animations and visuals to be produced (which is one of the main things we like seeing :) ) without slowing the work flow.  It might even be fairly trivial to make mechanical simulations and stress testing or other processor intensive jobs a shared task, a distributed platform for the maker community could in time grow to involve evolutionary design algorithms and the like to allow automatic solving of electronic circuits or structural design issues.  

• @Utopian - Community distributed engineering is a great concept.  Could you add your ideas to the CAD Needs and Requests wiki page (http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/Needs_and_Requests)?

A OSE torrent does not have to be a single DVD .iso file.  It can separate out the wiki pages and the videos into separate folders, and let people choose what they want to download.  If we get organized about it, later versions after v0.01 can be released as a full copy, and an update, so people can download just the update.

• Regarding the wiki pages, they can be downloaded in a compressed XML archive ( < 4 MB ) which is updated daily - see the Exporting the wiki to a CD / DVD discussion.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion