Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
Electricity-free kitchen appliances
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Nyk

November 2012

Just saw this the other day: http://www.gizmag.com/r2b2-flywheel-powered-kitchen-appliance-concept/17063/

Flywheel + Flywheel powered hand blender, mixer, etc. Simple, beautiful design, requires no electricity. This thing is begging to be open-sourced. Seems to me like a good fit for the GVCS.

• 5 Comments sorted by
  • Wow, that is pretty cool! I sent an email to their contact email to see if they have any interest in open sourcing it.

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    RabertRabert

December 2012
    There is lot of pre-electric technology for kitchen and households available. Think about oven heated pressing irons (or coal filled), flywheel powered sewing machines, coal or wood fired stoves, ice filled refrigerators, etc.

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    Nyk

December 2012
    @Rabert yep! We should definitely look to older ways of doing things, and suggest them (or their basic mechanics) where appropriate. I think flywheel powered sewing machines are fantastic, as are the other technologies you mentioned. But let's not forget that improvements can always be made. They didn't even know what a blender was back then, much less an immersion blender.

@Matt_Maier well, the thing was built by a designer, not an engineer, so his version is probably not as efficient as it could be. Why bother asking him to open source it? Let's just build it ourselves* :)

*by "ourselves" I mean not me. I couldn't engineer my way out of a wet paper bag.

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    4ndy4ndy

December 2012
    You should check out the work done by Maya Pedal, their recycled bicycle-based machines are more efficient than this, but not quite so pretty, so there's something to take away from both.

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    Nyk

December 2012
    @4ndy yeah! I saw some maya pedal videos a year or two back. I love those guys. I agree there is something to be gleaned from both. I think there is a lot to be said for pedal power, as well as kinetic energy storage. I've often wondered about a house-wide kintetic energy storage system. Like a long, heavy, underground pendulum or maybe a bank of cheap kinetic flywheel batteries or something.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Tagged