Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
Evolving to Freedom
  • There is this very interesting article on OSE's wiki, which I was made aware of a few days ago. I would like to discuss it here a bit.

Evolve to Freedom

As good as this wiki-article his, it has a major flaw: 10 people and 10 acres will not work to evolve to freedom.

You
    need something a size which allows for a fully autonomic village, which
    allows to just forget the outer world. Which can produce everything
    needed for food, clothing and housing. Which does not need to be hooked
    to the grid but has sufficient energy to power essential machinery.
    Which has enough capacity and knowledge to tend the sick and to support
    the elderly and handicapped. Which is strong enough to fight off
    burglars and thieves and the lawyers, judges and police who will try
    everything in the name of Corporate America to get you back in line.
    Which will not need to beg for help when a crucial part of a machine
    suddenly fails and cannot be replaced out of own resources.

Think
    more in line of 10,000 people and 10 squaremiles of fertile land, and
    you have the community which can truly evolve to freedom. Anything
    smaller, and you are not free, but only a little more independent than
    the ordinary city dweller. To get the land and the infrastructure for
    this is actually quite easy, especially with something like the GVCS on
    the horizon. Being debt free and having the money (for instance after
    selling everything you do not really need) in the range of the price of a
    new compact is all that is needed. To find 10,000 people able to abjure
    their addiction to consumism (or have not been addicted at all), and
    willing to trade their accumulated possessions against freedom, and to
    be able to agree on a shared ruleset to drive such a community, is much,
    much more difficult.

However, America's history has shown, that
    this is possible. 150 years ago, out of a population of some 20 to 25
    million people, 400,000 of them sold nearly everything they had, packed
    the rest into a big wagon and travelled west, into a land they had never
    seen before, just for the hope of freedom. That's around 2% of the
    population of that time. Today that would mean some 6 million people
    alone in the US, enough for 600 of such big communities.

Why do I
    think, that even one is nearly impossible as of today? Where has the
    American Spirit gone, what has remained of the land of the free? It
    seems, it has been bought off for cars, designer shoes and plastic bags,
    the dream to be free has been replaced by the dream to have it all, not
    realizing that to have is the death of freedom (a good read here would
    be "To Have or To Be" from Erich Fromm).

(sorry, don't know why it formats the text as it does ...)

• 17 Comments sorted by
  • Before you can convince 10,000 people to start a city, you will likely need to show that it is possible with 10.

• Ive read that article a few times in the last couple days, it is good, but understates the difficulty of a project like that a little in my opinion. Also the estimate of one acre per person seems quite high to me. assuming someone has a half acre completely jammed with buildings and the other half is left for agriculture and animal husbandry it should still be able to produce enough for a few people at least. The main determinant of how many people can live off of a given amount of land has mainly to do with how well adapted and efficient the buildings/infrastructure are, as well as how well the land is used. Given current technologies in living walls/roofs, solar aquaculture, high density or intensive farming methods we would be more likely to see an acre able to support three to four people. This is not to sling mud at the document as it is extremely well written, only that I would point out that one of the goals should be overall efficiency.

I don't see this idea as being impossible, or improbable, but I do know that at least in the area where I currently live, all those who love this idea are generally not well off. In this way the difference between ten acres and five acres is quite substantial in what is feasible or not for the group to collectively afford. Such a group attempting this project would find it more of a challenge to make it succeed anyways as the overall resource pool would be substantially less than most. I'm not sure if my experience of the wealth of those who I know have expressed interest is common or not, and as such is simply my perspective on the subject.

I think the project would be more likely to draw support (or more varied interest) if it had an economic or, god forbid, business hook to it as well as a social one. There are many opportunities in cradle to cradle systems that may be able to financially support the system itself. Waste processing, water purifying, and sell-able foodstuffs such as fish and vegetables, all come from one system used to purify water and are all things that are paid for. I know OSE isn't about making business', yet in the light of hard economic times for many people it may be that a group taking out a business loan to begin constructing their own "Fab Lab" may be one way that they can get to a sustainable open source community.

Anywhoo, a few thoughts to toss around :-)

• "Before you can convince 10,000 people to start a city, you will likely need to show that it is possible with 10."

Unfortunately, that is not possible. You can't live an autonomic live with 10 people. In the US, you actually have something close to what I'm aiming for with the communities of the Amish and Hutterer. However, they do not try to live truly autonomic and they have this religion baggage to carry around. Here in Germany there are a few hundred communities with 10 to over 100 people trying to live a life outside of the consumism mainstream. They all live a frugal, poor life with lots of work and self-exploitation, and need public help when they are getting sick or old. That is not what I'm aiming for.

With 10 people I can try to start a business. I can start to produce GVCS components and to sell them. But I cannot escape the system, at best bend it a little bit to my favours. And just being another alternative production site and sales shop would not convince anybody that with this "Evolving to Freedom" will be possible. Trying this path is more like accepting assimilation by the system.

• Would it be impossible to build a
    Pyramid today without 500,000 slaves?
    Perhaps there is a way we can be more
    productive about extrapolating this figure? I think maybe the way to
    do it is to not talk in single people/land units required for a
    self-sufficient “comfortable modern society”, but to talk in
    percentages of people/land. Because land and people come in vastly
    different qualities, so 10 people/10acres, 10k people/10 sq
    miles.....are all just guesstimates at best. Percentages reflect the
    progress and reasoning of OSE (which is why we are all here). OSE is
    effectively lowering those entry level requirements, or raising your
    likelihood of success depending on how you look at it. So regardless,
    when you get the guts to say “hey friends of mine, the hell with
    this, lets go do our own thing”- You will be more likely to succeed
    with fewer people on less land, and reach a higher quality of life.

OSE-GVCS 1.0 is something that should
    have happened collectively long ago but the dominate
    economic-political systems didn't foster it. Theres different people
    that have done different things and published some of it. But
    basically we are all starting out as village idiots, having to
    reinvent the wheel and learn everything by trial and error. This
    caveman-like starting point represents 100% of land and village
    idiots needed to succeed. Yet if the CEB press is optimized to work
    with the lifetrack and soil pulverizer, and it is automatically
    spitting out bricks and stacking them on a pallet, then it is making
    the same number of bricks in a day with just you and your mom that
    normally would take 10 village idiots to do by hand. This represents
    and 80% reduction in the number of village idiot buddies you need to
    accomplish this specific task. That plays into your assessment of the
    total number of friends and land(friends&food take up space) you
    need. Furthermore, since most of us are lazy-asses, it also
    represents a higher standard of living even for just those two people
    left, because the labor is not nearly as tedious and back-breaking as
    doing it by hand.

Perhaps in OSE-GVCS 2.0 there is a
    device that lays the bricks to form a wall as they are pressed or
    straight off a pallet. Assuming the bugs are worked out, you are now
    building a cEb structure without even touching any earth, so maybe
    even your GF will come along. This represents a whole other dynamic
    in my 'nobody wants to help me plight' that shouldn't be overlooked.
    If one of the GVCS machines was a starbucks replicator I guarantee
    the appeal would attract a lot more help- useful or not.

I believe OSE-GVCS(10.0?) will evolve
    into the ability for a relatively small groups of like minded and
    willing people to build intentional communities with infrastructure
    and ideals very close to what groups like www.thevenusproject.com
    advocate. All without the blessing and support of the masses and
    government.

Each bit of OSE progress represents a
    direct % reduction in the entry level requirement of people, land and
    even arguably money to start a civilization.

That includes everytime OSE figures out
    how to:
    -Better coordinate and utilize global
    intellect and resources
    -Increase its understanding of
    modularity, integration and automation
    -Develop or revise a machine

• The numbers I mentioned are not arbitrary or wild guesses. There is some thought behind that. A community of 10,000 people is large enough that you can have virtually all professions needed in a society living on terms of subsistence, even redundantly. 10,000 people again is large enough to be a force a group of marauders would most likely stay away from and look for easier targets. 10,000 people accumulating their possessions can raise enough money to build a city with their own hands, including all infrastructure needed to live without being dependent on public service. Last but not least, 10,000 people allow for enough social diversity, that you don't see the same faces every day, and that one has some selection when it comes to finding a partner for life or for some obscure hobby.

On the other hand, 10,000 people is not too large that one can hide behind anonymity. A producer has to take into account, that he earlier or later he will meet the people using the things he made. The thief needs to take into account, that at one time someone will ask where he got all this stuff from. The cadger cannot count on slipping through without being recognized as such.

The same is with 10 squaremiles. Given it is at least moderatly fertile land, on 10 sqm you can have the space to house 10,000 plus their workshops and offices, the schools, storage rooms and barns. You can have the wood needed to contribute to the houses and furniture, and to heat every winter. You have enough land to erect windenergy mills, while the roofs of the houses will be used for solar energy. There is enough land to grow the crops and produce to feed the people, plus the hemp and flax needed to make all the clothing and linen 10,000 people will need. There is enough space for sheep, chicken or cattle which will provide wool, eggs or milk, and at the end of their life their feathers, hides, and meat. There will even be enough space for parks and lakes, the latter contributing fish to the diet.

So, 10,000 people and 10 sqm of fertile land, that is all what is needed to live a life free from comsumism and capitalism. The tools needed to make all that happen will hopefully be provided by the GVCS. Right now, it seems to fill only a fraction of the needs when you are actually trying to build a village. Sheet glass for windows and green houses comes to my mind, for instance.

• Rabert there is a group on facebook saving up to do just what you are proposing here is the link :) http://www.facebook.com/groups/224148967647327/

• Thank you very much, wideawake! I'll take a look.

• I've also been working planning a similar village for the last few years. Here is my group's facebook:

I had been thinking 100 to 200 people would be enough to cover the basics of a fully self sufficient village, but some resources (mostly metals and industrial supplies) would need to be sourced from outside the community at that scale. I had planned to get around this by locating the village near an existing city so that salvage teams could collect necessary materials.

I think Danial's idea of a business hook is a good one. For example if the community operates a recycling facility they'd simultaneously be collecting materials for their own use, and making money off existing cities in their area.

@wideawake: Your link is interesting and similar to what I had in mind, but appears to either be affiliated with or at least inspired by the Venus Project and/or Zeitgeist so isn't compatible with my goals. :-/

• Total independence of the system is very difficult and perhaps not worthwhile. Here in my country, if I have a piece of land to live, I need money to pay annual taxes for it. If you do not pay, they confiscate my stuff or put me in jail.
    But if we can build a house without having to pay for it for thirty years, if we become independent of the power grid and if we can grow our own food, the amount of money needed each month can get pretty close to zero. A small and secure investment in the capitalist world would be enough. I've got this small investment, the next step would be to buy that piece of land, but it is very expensive here! I'm thinking of alternatives as a trailer, a boat or even a small floating island. But I'd really like is to have the right to occupy a small area of ​​land in this giant world without having to be a slave to money for years. Also I do not want to live without internet, all we're doing here and all the knowledge we need to do it depends on the internet to spread and multiply. At least here there in my country is not yet any internet free of charge.

• I don't anticipate being completely free of the "system" within my lifetime. I accept there will be property taxes and there will be utility fees for internet and whatever else cannot be produced on the land itself. My goal is to get enough people together to create a mostly self sufficient community together, and to develop technologies and practices that would make it easier for other people to get away from an unsustainable consumer lifestyle. Buying land is a huge hurdle but I think with enough people working together it can be done without any one person having to work for thirty years to pay off the debt. I do not want to buy the land with any debt at all.

• As long as the capitlistic system does exist, and it will exist for the decades to come till it breaks down catastrophically, we cannot be free of this system, because it has the rights and the means to force its will upon everybody. In Germany for instance, you will have two bits of costs which cannot be avoided at all: Land tax and, believe it or not, a fee (what actually is a tax) for public TV and radio services (and sums up to around 250 USD per year and household and up to several thousand dollars a year for companies). A disputed case is the fee for waste disposal, which you have in some cases to pay for even when you don't create any waste at all or dispose of it yourself on your own cost. If you want to use internet and telecommunication (what I would want too) you would have to pay bills for that as well. Energy, fresh-water, waste-water and most other utilities will not be billed, when you are not connected to the public services.

What little money is needed for what you are unavoidably forced to pay for, can be earned by producing things which can be sold outside of that community. Honey, linen, training, whatever you can think of and is produced for the community anyways, just a little more than you need yourself. I believe, that a turnover of around a thousand dollars per year and person will be more than enough to pay for the anavoidable fees and taxes, and still be far under any taxable income. What,on the other hand, makes it essential, that your community is strong enough in headcount, that you have all the trained and experienced people that you can produce all things and services needed in enough redundancy and security to really never have to rely on deliveries from outside of your community.

But that's it basically, and if you work on the basis of subsistence without money, no income or turnover can be taxed at all, and no obligation to pay into social security will be created.

Of course, debt will end this all, because when you are indebted, you have to pay back the principal plus interests, what will chain you to the capitalistic system and force you to work more for others then for yourself. Did you know, that in every price you pay, from the rent for your flat to the price tag on your beer, an average of about 40% of that price is interest being factored in? The system works based on debt, and everybody pays the creditors, not just the immediate debtor.

It is a wicked system, we are subjected to: First make children addicted to consumism starting at kindergarten the latest, preferably via their parents already from the craddle, keep them addicted when they are adults, and keep them short of the means to feed the addiction, money, all the time, so they will borrow money, and become indebted. Indebted consumism addicts without money are helpless, rightless and hopeless. They will never have a chance to escape the system, unless they win a lottery big time (you know the odds) or somehow gather the strength to abdicate from their addiction, make a clean slate and leave the system totally, what is a very hard thing to do for most people, especially when they have to care for a family.

Yes, total independence is in fact impossible today, but it can be reduced to be a mere marginal annoyance, which will not affect your life much more than a mosquito bite. When we want to evolve to freedom, we need to evolve free from the system which enslaves us all first. The problem is, that most people don't have the will and/or the strength anymore to cut their chains, the intended result of more then six decades of brainwashing society.

• I really hate paying interest. I think nowadays people commit a huge portion of their salaries to pay interest and do not realize it.
    Paying in cash, believe I have to work four years to buy a piece of land that I would like to have. It could be less if I was willing to live in isolation and without infrastructure. But I think it's frustrating to work four years to get a space that has been there for millions of years without human intervention. So sometimes I find myself dreaming of floating cities. : )
    I confess that I spent my whole life studying to get a good future. I got it, got a good job, a good salary and plenty of free time. Also I have no wife or children but still do not have the courage to quit my job and may never have, been many years of effort to achieve it. It took me long to realize the weakness and injustice of the capitalist system and when I finally realized that, I was already doing relatively well in it. Anyway, still want to become independent of the system. I think all people should have the capacity to meet their basic needs and of their families without a job. So they may still want a job to spend money on trifles but not subjecting themselves very poor working conditions, moral abuse and exploitation, also will not enter a crisis if they lose their jobs. That way they will not be slaves condemned to misery and starvation case escape from slavery.
    (English is not my language, so forgive the errors.)

• Define "independent of the system."

Even if you could supply all your own thermodynamic needs, you'd have to live as a hermit to avoid all interaction with the human systems around you. Assuming you want to interact with other people and take advantage of some of the cool things they can do since they work in teams (unlike you), then you'll need at least some of the stuff they require. You'll need some kind of currency that is accepted where you want to go, you'll need acceptable clothing, you'll need a form of identification that they recognize, etc. You might be able to get a lot of that stuff with barter, but not all of it. 

Also define "without a job."

If you're doing all the things you need to survive on your own then it's incredibly unlikely that you'll enjoy yourself. Nobody enjoys collecting manure for the garden. If you have to do it to live, and you dislike it, is that a job? Is it only a job if someone else tells you what to do? You might not be in a crisis because you can't lose your subsistence-farmer job, but you will still be in crisis due to droughts, and floods, and infestations. Is that really different? 

Ultimately, do you really think that you're going to be better off doing everything for yourself? There's a reason people come together in teams; they can get a lot more done. However, if you want the benefits of a team then you have to accept living with other people and putting up with their shit. Maybe you just want to be part of a much smaller team?

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    RabertRabert

September 2012
    Matt, no one can be independent from the system alone, without endangering the own health and safety. Even the ascetics in India live in groups and are supported by their neighbourhood. But a group can become independent, when it is big enough. I define "independent of the system" the capability to fullfil all needs (not all wants!) without outside help.

A job in today's meaning is normally paid work. You can live without a job, but not without work - unless you find people who are working and you can reap the benefits from that without contributing to that work. Billionaires and multimillionaires do that, and most homeless people. You can live without a job, when you work for a group, and when that group works for you. To make that principle work, it is needed to organize that in a way, that everybody works approx. the same time.

• I Appreciate with OSE is doing.  Just read something interesting, to develop the 4-Mix engine, it was $10 million dollar venture between Tanaka and CARB.   I appreciate the undertaking, time and energy that is going into these 50 machines.    A lot of the parts that are going into these machines though are coming from factories.  Hydraulic hoses, cylinders, manifolds, tires.     In a grid down situation, none of that will be available.  What then?  I liked their CEB machine, but maybe the Cineva RAM would be a much better choice to build in a Grid Down Situation.  Something hand/mechanically powered?    I think in India they have a nice block press machine Auroville Earth Institute, it's manual powered, vertical press so it can make all kinds of interlocking blocks. 

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    RabertRabert

September 2012
    In a grid down situation, none of that will be available.  What then?

I believe, that the whole OSE strategy and its GVCS concept in its present state will not work in a grid down situation. To much cannot be made without prefabricated parts and resources, which will not be available anymore in the coming post-growth-economy. However, there are tools in that set which are designed to be versatile enough to allow for manufacturing of most parts of the GVCS tools. It should be a goal, that the GVCS in its entirety could be made out of own local resources and at maximum with recycling of metal and electronic scrap.

No part of a GVCS tool should be dependent on the availability of mineral oil. We won't have that anymore in industrial amounts in 30 to 50 years. The GVCS should be designed with this in mind, when it is meant to last.

• Vote Up0Vote Down September 2012
    -Matt, maybe I have not expressed myself right. Actually I want to become as independent as possible of the economic system. I do not intend to live in isolation and even without internet, so for some things I will still need money, too little money. 
    -This is a very long term project, first a CEB-press (buying parts), then a house, etc, and someday another CEB-press with DIY parts (as example).
    -Infestations and diseases are serious problems in large monoculture plantations. I believe my future greenhouse with its various plant species would be safe enough. I intend to work with aquaponics.
    I'm sort of "Prepper," I do not intend to isolate from society, but I do not want my life depends on it or the work of others. And I must say I'm also doing it for fun!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion