Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
life truck
  • "What happens with life track?

Anyone know anything?

• 17 Comments sorted by
  • http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/Civilization_Starter_Kit_DVD_v0.01

The first version of the fabrication instructions has been published. Here's a direct link to the LifeTrac part http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/File:LifeTrac_Fabrication_Report_25FEB2012.pdf

• thx Matt
    I saw it yesterday. Marcin sad on his video that LT need redesign  cos occur some problems - I wonder what problems happen - this is quite important knowledge for future replicators.

Are any plans for design  3 point attachment system for life track for traditional tractor equipment?

• Well, even if the first design had worked perfectly it still would have needed to be redesigned. It's only a proof of concept. The design has to evolve to reach its full potential. Additionally, the rest of the GVCS hasn't even been prototyped yet, so the first few designs will change the most as the whole system becomes an integrated whole. 

Personally I think it's misleading to call it a "tractor." It would be more accurate to call it a Bobcat or a "skid-steer loader." The current design doesn't have the right geometry to work as a tractor (towing). Maybe a future design will be able to transform into different shapes. Maybe we'll just use different designs. My understanding is that a 3-point hitch wouldn't be any use because the only place to attach it is the front, but 3-point attachments are supposed to be towed behind the tractor. 

• Just towing tractor hook shouldn't be a problem to attach to back.
     But for 3-point hitch it could be use in reverse mode - driving to backwards.

Also I wonder why LT must have  something like a tank treads. I can assume that it's to light to have enough friction to drive when it's working with heavy equipment. Is it true?

Would be great to know a conclusions from others models of the LT.

• Currently the back of the LIveTrac is where the Power Cubes attach. For the same reason, the driver can't see behind them. So, at the moment, nothing else can attach to the back of it and it can't be driven backwards safely.

I think the tracks were more for getting over obstacles. My impression is that they are no longer being used because they put too much strain on the wheel units causing misalignment of the axle shaft and motor.

• Thank You, Matt, for the link to the fabrication report.

It's an interesting read, but not amusing, instead a sad literature! In fact it made me nearly break out in tears

:((
    I could now start a very very long listing of severe mistakes made in design and manufacturing, but thats inutile. Everyone with a bit of knowledge about mechanical engineering can read himself how incompetent the Lifetrac fabricators are.

Its not a bit astonishing that Lifetracs don't do their job. And its a fundamental problem that can not be solved with a prototype #4 or #5. First necessity will be to exchange the complete design team!

IMHO noone involved in the design of this Lifetrac should ever design other machines. People should draw adequate consequences when they are totally incompetent for a job

Mike

• Now that you got that out of your system would you like to be constructive? 

There have already been several discussions regarding improvements that need to be made http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/LifeTrac_III/Feedback maybe you could add to them.

Also, your emotional reaction might be the result of misunderstanding what OSE is doing. I compare the GVCS to the RepRap. You see, open source technology innovates more quickly than closed source technology. At least, it does when early adopters find it interesting. The way to improve closed source technology is to research the market, hire experts, give them specific goals, and pay them for their work. The way to improve open source technology is to publish an interesting idea, get other people to replicate it, and trade improvements. That's why open source is faster than closed source, although it is new so there aren't many case studies.

What this means is that the FIRST generation of an open source machine doesn't need to be something that anyone would ever be proud of. It merely needs to be a proof of concept. They are using the current LifeTrac at FeF right now to do useful work. So, the concept of a cheap and simple tractor has been proven. Now, just like the RepRap, we need to get other people to work on the idea. That will lead to the SECOND generation of the machine, which will be much better.

Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to worry about being proud of the first two generations. It's the THIRD generation that I'm looking forward to. 

• Hello Matt,
    You've asked for constructive critics. But thats difficult and invain if the folks building a machine do nearly everything wrong. The current Lifetrac design is poor, its now probably common knowledge.

But my last critics were focused on the manufacturing procedures used. They are just bad. You could use the blueprints of the best JD or CaseIH tractor ever built, but the result would be crap with these manufacturing standards. Its a lot of arrogance of telling people, open source machines are superior and at the same time using this fabrication practices and even publish them.
    So the only constructive critics on manufacturing can be for a nearly complete change in doing metalworks at FeF. The people involved need to get a feeling for precision and learn the not-to-dos in metalworking. Open source machines don't work well without precision just because they are open source! Its simple annoying to read again and again that open source machines could be kept simple and without precision, just a stupid vision of some folks in the OSE community !

I try to give You just two examples of the poor manufacturing standards with Lifetrac. Just two from a heap of mistakes.

Example 1: wheel hub and assembly
    Cutting the 2" bore in the wheel hub with a hand torch is completely inadequate. The tolerances in diameter with a hand torch are very high and the bore won't be in the center of the hub. You NEED to use a lathe for this job, hand torch cutting is insane.
    Next point, the 3/4" crosswise hole to connect wheel hub and axle. Drilling this hole is forbidden, because You will end up with several tens of a millimeter play between bolt and axle/wheel hub. Hmm, ever heard about the existence of something called a reamer at FeF ???
    Last example in this assembly, welding the axle to the splined shaft. Absolute no-go ! Most splined shafts are steel grades that shouldn't be welded. Noone welds something on a splined shaft. Also the wheel axle won't be straight after this welding! Remember, wheels work best when they run round and not eccentric.

I wonder how You would react if Your car manufacturer had manufactured the wheel hubs this way, providing are really bumpy ride in your car every mile, Matt ?

Example 2: cylinder mounts
    Inserting a 1" bolt in a drilled 1" hole usually gives a very loose fit, so it will wear out soon under high and changing loads. Again, a reamer or a boring head have to be used.
    And what about lubrification of a sliding surface under high pressure? Anyway, pairing unhardened steel with unhardened steel part will result in a high rate of wear. Is this the "lifetime design", OSE promises in its core values ?

Its not only the design, but also the fabrication that makes for a well working machine. Unfortunately many people think, poor over-simplified designs manufactured coarse without precision with stone-age-tools are great, just because they are open source.

Sorry, but I don't share that stupid belief.

Mike

• Hi Mike
    It's nice to see someone with mechanical knowledge is willing to give his opinion.
    However emotion you putted in it makes it difficult to digest.
    I started this topic because I was concern  about drivers safety and failure rate LT. Obviously v.III isn't perfect  ;) but synergy effect won't appear if critics will be charged with   too much negative emotions.
    You have to notice that expectation are different for stuff working 24/7/365 than 2 times /week used things. If you'll cool down a bit you can be most
    precious expert for this machine. I hope guys will read you comments and consider it anyway.  ;)
     Is difficult not agree with you technical arguments - but I understand this guys: that if you don't have what you like that you are using what you have

• Not to beat a dead horse, but you are clear on the fact that the current design is a prototype, right? As in, "a first or primitive form."

"You've asked for constructive critics. But thats difficult and invain if the folks building a machine do nearly everything wrong."

> Actually, wouldn't that make constructive cricticism easier? It seems like the only difficult decision would be where to start pointing out specific flaws, since there are so many of them.

"Its a lot of arrogance of telling people, open source machines are superior and at the same time using this fabrication practices and even publish them."

> I don't know where you're getting the claim of superiority from. I know that I personally have gone out of my way to classify the current tractor as "barely adequate."

"Its simple annoying to read again and again that open source machines could be kept simple and without precision"

> I think it's more of a design goal than a requirement. As simple as possible but no simpler. The way to achieve it is to start out as simple as possible and then add complexity only when it is required to reach performance specifications.

"Cutting the 2" bore in the wheel hub with a hand torch is completely inadequate. The tolerances in diameter with a hand torch are very high and the bore won't be in the center of the hub."

> I compiled the instructions based on information I gathered from the people who built the tractor. My understanding of the wheel hub was that the 1 7/8" shaft never touches the flat disc that the wheel bolts to. The hole in the middle is just to allow the shaft to pass through. It is the location of the 6" tube which determines whether or not the axle is centered in the wheel, and the tube welds to the face of the disc rather than passing through it. So the accuracy of the hole in the middle of the disc is irrelevant. Now that you bring up the issue of centerdness, tho, the instructions do need to include a procedure for ensuring the 6" tube and the wheel bolt holes are centered. It would be nice to do it with a CNC but a manual method shouldn't be too difficult.

"Most splined shafts are steel grades that shouldn't be welded. Noone welds something on a splined shaft."

> What problem does that create? Is there a danger of the weld failing and allowing the splined shaft to rotate? Will the splined shaft snap? What if you brazed the splined shaft in place?

"Also the wheel axle won't be straight after this welding"

> Well, all manufacturing processes are inherently flawed. It's a matter of getting ENOUGH precision, not perfect precision. Given the current design, and how the separate locations of the two axle bearings and the motor allows the axle shaft to flex and wiggle, imperfections in the mating of the axle shaft and the splined shaft seem unimportant.

"Inserting a 1" bolt in a drilled 1" hole usually gives a very loose fit, so it will wear out soon under high and changing loads."

> If it was spinning, sure, but the cylinder pins rotate through only a few degrees. Yeah, they'll wear out eventually, but not before much more expensive pieces of the tractor and replacing them is nearly free. All mechanical designs involve one or two sacrificial parts. The key is to make the consumable parts cheap and easy to replace, which the pins are.

"Is this the "lifetime design", OSE promises in its core values ?"

> My interpretation of OSE's principles is that each machine will provide a lifetime of service, not that each piece of metal will resist wear, deformation, and corrossion for a lifetime. The tractor is being designed such that it is easy/cheap to build and easy/cheap to repair and easy/cheap to upgrade. It is NOT being designed so that once built it will survive a lifetime of use without any need to repair or replace anything.

• @Matt

<Not to beat a dead horse, but you are clear on the fact that the current design is a prototype, right? As in, "a first or primitive form.">

Yes known. But thats no excuse for poor sloppy manufacturing practices in prototype building. Most commercial companies have their best workers and technicians working on prototypes while the average and poor workers are doing mass production.

Tell me, how can You really test the quality of a design with a prototype that has been poor manufactured. It will develop problems and breakdowns that are not design-specific but due only to neglect in building.

> I don't know where you're getting the claim of superiority from. I know that I personally have gone out of my way to classify the current tractor as "barely adequate." >

There have been enough statements from people at FeF and other OSE supporters who claim the OSE machines are superior in the forums and on the wiki. Such statements can also be found on boards of the OSE Europe group.

And don't forget the core values of OSE with performance, efficiency and quality.

<The way to achieve it is to start out as simple as possible and then add complexity only when it is required to reach performance specifications. >

Thats a statement that many people with design experience won't confirm. An integral design that includes preparations for all possible future additions is often smoother, more stable and cheaper to manufacture in the long run than a part that has 20 times been modified to include later additions.

> I compiled the instructions based on information I gathered from the people who built the tractor. My understanding of the wheel hub was that the 1 7/8" shaft never touches the flat disc that the wheel bolts to. The hole in the middle is just to allow the shaft to pass through. It is the location of the 6" tube which determines whether or not the axle is centered in the wheel, and the tube welds to the face of the disc rather than passing through it. So the accuracy of the hole in the middle of the disc is irrelevant. Now that you bring up the issue of centerdness, tho, the instructions do need to include a procedure for ensuring the 6" tube and the wheel bolt holes are centered. It would be nice to do it with a CNC but a manual method shouldn't be too difficult.>

You may be right about the shaft without contact to the wheel hub. But then more questions arise.

Why is the hole in the wheel hub necessary? Why not shorten the axle? Is there any function of the axle outside the wheel hub I have not seen yet?

Because You got Your information from the builders and they haven't told You about how they centered the bolt holes to the shaft, is it illegitimate to assume, that they've only used "mechanics eye" ?

I agree cutting the wheel hub on a CNCtorch would be precise enough for a tractor, but without a fit between shaft and hub this wouldn't solve the problem of centering the hub. My best idea is to machine the welded wheel hub group on a lathe and have a tight fit to the shaft to get it centered.

> What problem does that create? Is there a danger of the weld failing and allowing the splined shaft to rotate? Will the splined shaft snap? What if you brazed the splined shaft in place? >

Yes. Steel is considered weldable up to a carbon content of 0.2-0.22 % carbon. Higher grade steels usually have a higher carbon content. High carbon means the steel can be hardened. Exactly this happens unintentionally during welding. The material in the area gets hot and after welding it cools down sufficiently fast due to the small volume of the part that has been welded. The effect is the same as throwing a hot red piece of steel into water - with sufficient carbon the part becomes hard and brittle. It may develop the first small cracks already while cooling down. Under stress it develops more cracks and eventually breaks, usually not the welding itself breaks in two, but an area adjacent to it.

Its a common but wrong belief of amateur mechanics that steel can be welded. There are at minimum 1000 different steel alloys in production worldwide and at best 100 are described as weldable.
    A bit generalized only low grade mild construction steel, some alloys with low carbon content and some austenitic stainless steels are weldable; plus the specifically for welding designed fine grain steels which nevertheless are delicate in welding and require specific treatments.

> If it was spinning, sure, but the cylinder pins rotate through only a few degrees. Yeah, they'll wear out eventually, but not before much more expensive pieces of the tractor and replacing them is nearly free. All mechanical designs involve one or two sacrificial parts. The key is to make the consumable parts cheap and easy to replace, which the pins are.>

Even if it wouldn't rotate at all, such a connection with 0.5mm play or more will wear out only by the changing loads under changing directions.

And its very optimistic to assume that replacing only the pins will repair it. The holes in the mounts will get oval too. If You've used prefabricated pins, they are higher grade steel than Your mounts and have higher tensile strength and greater hardness. Just guess which part will wear out faster, Matt....

Mike

• Hi Sensor,

excuse me for some emotions in that posting.
    Usually I try to keep emotions out of technical discussions, but the careless manufacturing made me really sad and angry.

I know several people without professional background in metalworking and what a fantastic job they do in model building: model railroaders building live steam locomotives or RC model excavators in excellent quality. In their spare time in a garage. The gap between this and FeF built machines is more than a bit too large.

Regarding 24/7/365 use, even good commercial tractors won't stand 8700 hours for more than one or two years. But the goal i Lifetrac development was to develop an agricultural tractor for farmers, and commercial farmers use their tractors hundreds or even one thousand hours a year. Its not intended as a lawn tractor for occasionally mowing some dozen square meters. So Lifetrac should have become a tractor for commercial farmers but the design seems to be bad. Together with poor manufacturing the result of several years Lifetrac development are just crap.

that if you don't have what you like that you are using what you have

I m not sure whether thats the core of the problem, for two reasons:

1. my understanding that considerable funds have been available at OSE. Maybe not as much as desired, but sufficient to develop a fabrication facility with some quality equipment. Seems Marcin had other priorities in spending money than shop equipment.

2. At FeF they possess high-grade CAD programs like Inventor and Solidworks. But I've never seen a drawing from FeF thats up to commercial standards. So if a lack of good CAD software isn't the reason, there must be other reasons for it... Lack of knowledge or noone willing to do them...

Mike

• "...thats no excuse for poor sloppy manufacturing practices in prototype building...You really test the quality of a design with a prototype that has been poor manufactured. It will develop problems and breakdowns that are not design-specific but due only to neglect in building."

> It is absolutely an excuse for sloppy construction. It's nothing more than a physical sketch. OSE doesn't have th eengineering expertise to produce a "good" design on paper. We have to build something and see if it works. The assumption is that, when it works, we will be able to attract engeineering expertise to the project. From what I've seen of other open source tech projects, good engineers don't have an imagination. They have to see something work poorly before they get interested in the idea. Keep in mind these designs are not supposed to be manufactured. The idea is that they will be constructed at the lowest level possible, which means small batches at most. Hopefully certain modular components of the machines will prove to be universal enough to justify mass production, but I doubt the entire machine ever will be. Besides, it's not THAT hard to identify when a problem is due to poor construction. The tractor isn't that complicated.

"There have been enough statements from people at FeF and other OSE supporters who claim the OSE machines are superior..."

> I doubt it. Maybe you're misinterpreting a claim of superiority of different goals for a claim of superiority of one specific goal. OSE is taking a markedly different approach to designing the machines because the organization's goals and processes are different. It's not fair to evaluate the results against standards that were never prioritized in the first place.

"Thats a statement that many people with design experience won't confirm."

> Yeah, well, there aren't many people with experience designing open source modular heavy machinery. Lessons from the past may or may not be applicable to the future, particularly conceptual tools and heuristics.

"Why is the hole in the wheel hub necessary? Why not shorten the axle?"

> My impression is that they weren't sure which way they wanted to mount the wheel. I've seen pictures and/or diagrams of the wheel being mounted with the gussets on the inside of the tire and on the outside. But I never confirmed that impression with anyone.

"Because You got Your information from the builders and they haven't told You about how they centered the bolt holes to the shaft, is it illegitimate to assume, that they've only used "mechanics eye" ?"

> No. I haven't heard anyone ever even allude to the idea that the axles being off center is a problem. I assume they used some basic geometry to get everything radially symmetric. But I haven't confirmed that either.

"My best idea is to machine the welded wheel hub group on a lathe..."

> Agreed. The biggest surprise I got was putting together the instructions and realizing that they required a lathe for one step, but didn't use it on any other steps. Seems like requiring the lathe is kind of a big deal in terms of money and experience, so if you can use it for one thing you might as well use it to improve a bunch of other things.

"And its very optimistic to assume that replacing only the pins will repair it. The holes in the mounts will get oval too."

> The pins are just steel rod with a washer and a hole for a cotter pin. The mounts are just a couple pieces of mild steel plate and a couple nuts. Neither one is difficult or costly to replace.

• Sorry for double posting, but the forums software has cut off one half of my post

Hi Sensor,

excuse me for some emotions in that posting.
    Usually I try to keep emotions out of technical discussions, but the careless manufacturing made me really sad and angry.

I know several people without professional background in metalworking and what a fantastic job they do in model building: model railroaders building live steam locomotives or RC model excavators in excellent quality. The gap between this and FeF built machines is more than a bit too large.

Regarding 24/7/365 use, even good commercial tractors won't stand 8700 hours for more than one or two years. But the goal i Lifetrac development was to develop an agricultural tractor for farmers, and commercial farmers use their tractors hundreds or even one thousand hours a year. Its not intended as a lawn tractor for occasionally mowing some dozen square meters. So Lifetrac should have become a tractor for commercial farmers but the design seems to be bad. Together with poor manufacturing the result of several years Lifetrac development are just crap.

that if you don't have what you like that you are using what you have

1. my understanding that considerable funds have been available at OSE. Maybe not as much as desired, but sufficient to develop a fabrication facility with some quality equipment. Seems Marcin had other priorities in spending money than shop equipment.

2. At FeF they possess high-grade CAD programs like Inventor and Solidworks. But I've never seen a drawing from FeF thats up to commercial standards. So if a lack of good CAD software isn't the reason, there must be other reasons for it... Lack of knowledge or noone willing to do them...

Mike

• <that if you don't have what you like that you are using what you have>

Mike

• The biggest problem open source has is that it has yet to demonstrate that peole can may their mortgage with it. There are one or two examples of companies that primarily or entirely generate revenue from open source anything (let alone hardware) but profitability is an issue. So...it's hard to get professional-quality work done. The vast majority of open source projects are hobbies or, at best, volunteer efforts. People who know what they're doing, and who's time is valuable because of that fact, don't tend to spend their meager free time following orders on someone else's project.

People who are willing to contribute grunt work to a project they don't control, for no tangible reward, usually produce work of low quality. People who are capable of, and willing to, produce high quality work, are not satisfid unless they're in charge of the project, or at least their part of it.

So it should be no surprise that team-based open source technology projects start out at a "barely adequate" level of performance. Tons of stuff is missing, what has been done hasn't been done very well, and every solution creates even more problems. I don't see how it could possibly be any other way.

On the other hand, if you're the sort of person who's intrinsically motivated to do good things, open source tech projects are wonderful. Everything you do directly contributes, in a tangible way, to a better future. If intrinsic motivation isn't your thing, then this kind of project looks stupid.

• Gentlemen!
    I'm really happy   to see that emotions  cooled down a bit  ;)

Mike
    LT for me is not a tractor yet. No 3point hitch - no plowing. Also probably it haven't enough weight to do heavy work in the field. Another thing is that tractors have something like field gearbox switch - that allow them use whole engine power with very slow motion - I wonder is it possible with this hydraulic design. 

1. considerable funds - I assumed that  situation is from just couple months. Before they had rather spartans environment.  I hope they  working in this direction to improve radically workshop equipment.

2. it's difficult to doesn't notice that
    previous LF that broke in half - just broke in place where it should. I don't know what soft they have and I don't judge their knowledge in this subject. At this point for me is enough that they willing to do something for all.
    By the way we are doing quite good bug log for their scrum as well as product backlog ;)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Tagged