Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
from Scratch or from the Market
  • So, what exactly is the plan here? I can think of two:

1) Design the GVCS so it can be built by people who do not have access to industrial tools. Kind of like the Gingery books. They would start basically from scratch and bootstrap their resources until they eventually produced a full machine shop, and then the rest of the GVCS.
    2) Design the GVCS so that it is a direct replacement for existing industry, only cheaper/simpler. People would get together some capital, buy the cheaper open source machine shop on the market, and then use that to produce the rest of the GVCS. 

I seems like the former would be a more impressive addition to the pool of human knowledge. On the other hand, the latter would probably produce more delivered value faster. Maybe start with the latter and gradually work backwards to the former?

• 27 Comments sorted by
  • This is still an unsolved question in OSE project and deciding for one of these options will have consequences for the outcome of the GVCS and the complete OSE idea.

1. Going for bootstrapping from scratch makes for a very long lasting process, and the final result will be open in useability and quality. Maybe a very few people will be able to produce their shop tools with acceptable quality, but this requires time, patience and especially high technical skills. Because of the lack of skills most people will produce shop tools with poor performance and quality.

This will influence the design and quality of the GVCS machines built. OSE specifications call for high performance and industrial efficiency, but with the poor tools homebuilt these goals are out of reach. GVCS machines under this strategy will be poor built low performing machines without any operator comfort.

Gingery books are interesting, but there are 2 drawbacks. I have never heard of someone who did some precision measurements on his machines to compare them with industry standards for machine tools ie lathes, mills.I doubt if they meet these standards. Another issue is these machines are pretty small. Too small for many of the GVCS designs. And it would be much more difficult to do a homebuilt of these machines with double or trifold sizes.

2. Making the GVCS a real replacement for industrial built machines requires higher capabilities, skills and shops with equipment of sufficient performance , precision and quality. With these conditions met, there's hope for GVCS machines being really of high performance and industrial efficiency.

For the short-run, the "cheaper open source machine shop" will just be a dream. OSE is still far away from designing quality machine shop tools. As long as they are talking about a CNC multimachine, I don't take FeFs attempts to build machine tools serious. Most multimachine tools perform poor, a the few ones that are fair performers are highly complicated machines. Not suited to DIY !

Conclusion: Either we build the shops from scratch or we have to rely on industrial built tools for the next couple of years.

Building from scratch will slow down the spreading of GVCS and GVCS machines will be cheap low-quality. They may be of some value still for poor countries where people for example find it a big progress to have a tractor, even if it has low perfomance, breakes often (but simply to repair) and has low standards of safety and operator comfort. In the industrial world such a GVCS won't be a success story, I am sure about that.
    So to make GVCS successful in the industrialized world, it must be competive with commercial products, not only cheaper but poor. This calls for the shop from market. Even if OSE once has developed quality shop tools, someone without a shop will have to buy them first - without machine shop You don't produce good machines !

Mike

• I suppose we'd have to put a number on "acceptable" quality.

It would be interesting to figure out how much of the bootstrapping process could be pre-defined vs how much of it would require a knowledgable operator to be there at the right time.

Maybe the bootstrapping process could be empowered by a cheap internet connection. When you get to a spot where you don't personally have the knowledge required to be successful, you log on and get help from an expert. That way the experts would maximize their time by only "showing up" when they're needed, and they would be able to impart most of the relevant knowledge  by teaching the operator how to get past that step.

• The plan is the second option, but not exactly the way you put it.
    The people (in general) do not need and do not want to own an entire workshop with all the 50 GVCS tools. Why would they do that?
    I noticed that some (or many?) of the OSE supporters see in it a project designed to please the rich people who fancy themselves "(open source) geeks" and who want to enjoy making tools that make tools. It looks a bit scary to me, and I pray to God that the project will not go that way. We do not need to make tools to please rich people and to let them decide for the entire fate of communities.

When OSE is making a machine, it MUST stay committed to supply them and their components. When someone buys a CEB Press for 2,000 $, he must have the comfort of knowing that whenever a component breaks, he can buy that component from OSE (or from others) at the decent price for it, and he won't have to buy another CEB Press. Only the commitment of the OSE community to supply the parts to the people who need it, only the availability of components will change the world. It's not enough to give to the world a gift of open source designs. It's even more important to provide a decent supply, at least until others will start to make and supply OSE machines and components at a decent price.
    However, it's a better idea to provide the machine and the components forever, just to make sure others won't be tempted to play dirty (not supplying parts or selling them too expensive).

The answer to your question is:
    2) Design the GVCS so that it is a direct replacement for existing industry, only cheaper/simpler. People would get together some capital and buy the cheaper open source machines from the market.
    2a) The people who only use the machines in their house/farm will always be able to repair them cheaper, buying only the parts they need from OSE.
    2b) Millions of people will have the opportunity to create OSE machines. They can start small companies who produce just parts or just one machine. The parts they produce will be cheap, people will buy them so they can keep their jobs. They might not make a lot of money, but in the same time, they won't need a lot of money to buy other OSE machines they need.

Almost no one needs to produce all the GVCS machines. But millions of people can be involved into producing the CEB Press, other millions can be involved into producing the Tractor, and so on.

I understand your passion for machines, making them, using them, making them more efficient and so on.
    But in the same time, you should try to understand the people who live in poverty and can't even dream about ever having access to the most basic machines that makes the comfort of a modern life.
    Those people don't need to have all the GVCS machines in their own workshop. They don't even have a workshop.
    When OSE will supply the machines AND THE PARTS, at decent price - and will stay committed to it - then the poor people will finally have the opportunity to buy them and to repair them. In time, they will learn that they can produce at least some of the parts too. It will create (hundreds of) millions of jobs around the world. But it will take some years for them to learn it. Until then, please make the parts available and don't fail in keeping the supply in shape.

And please, start with some of the most needed machines. Now OSE talks about even an open source car. That's great but.. really? Do cars really have more priority than looms, than sewing machines, than washing machines, than refrigerators?
    Clothes are not basic things? Machines that make and wash clothes are somewhat ridiculous or what? What's wrong with them? Are they for women?

• @Bastelmike
    For the short-run, the "cheaper open source machine shop" will just be a dream.
    That's totally false. The open source machines are much cheaper as you can replace parts at dirt cheap. I just bought a Philips blender yesterday for 40 Euros. Guess what happens when a component of it breaks?
    You are right - I will have to buy another blender, spending another 40 Euros. But if I can buy an open source blender, even at 50 or 60 Euros, that's still cheaper than the Philips blender. Because it's a good investment. When the pot or the blade of it will break, I will buy only that component, for 3 or 5 Euros. I can give the blender to my children, and they can give it to their children, and so on. The costs to repair it will always (i.e. forever) be cheapest (as long as OSE stays committed to supply them).

The availability (supplying parts) is the key to change the world.

Building from scratch will slow down the spreading of GVCS and GVCS machines will be cheap low-quality.
    Not always. There are simple machines that can be made easy, they don't have lots of parts so they can be made in very good quality. Example: Coffeemakers, Mincers, Blenders, and other kitchen appliances and home appliances.

They may be of some value still for poor countries where people for example find it a big progress to have a tractor, even if it has low perfomance, breakes often (but simply to repair) and has low standards of safety and operator comfort.
    That's why the project should start with making at least 3-5 of the most desired and easy to make machines: Home appliances. That will help generate a lot of sales and will make the OSE project known to everyone in the world. That's the way to do it efficiently.

• "...he must have the comfort of knowing that whenever a component breaks, he can buy that component from OSE (or from others) at the decent price for it, and he won't have to buy another CEB Press. Only the commitment of the OSE community to supply the parts to the people who need it, only the availability of components will change the world."

> The way I understand it, OSE machines are built out of stock materials with as few machining steps as possible. That means the vast majority of the components are commodities that already have robust, competitive markets. For example, the optional control circuitry for the CEB press uses components you can walk into Radio Shack and buy, or order online for pennies. That way OSE doesn't have to become a supplier.

"...just to make sure others won't be tempted to play dirty (not supplying parts or selling them too expensive)."

> The idea is to keep the machines so simple suppliers will always compete with each other on price. When that's not possible, make the specifications freely available so that anyone with the right tools can become a supplier.

"When OSE will supply the machines AND THE PARTS, at decent price - and will stay committed to it - then the poor people will finally have the opportunity to buy them and to repair them."\

> You mean like a charity? Do you mean give the machines away for no or next-to-no cost? I don't think that's OSE's charter. Also, there is no need for OSE to take on that function. All the information necessary to make the machines is freely available and OSE will provide training if required. So, if someone wants to start a charity to donate machines, they have no barriers to entry. All they have to do is start making the machines.

"Clothes are not basic things? Machines that make and wash clothes are somewhat ridiculous or what? What's wrong with them?"

> We've been around on this subject before. The GVCS can make appliances. Appliances cannot make the GVCS. Things that can make things are more necessary than labor-saving devices. Appliances will be made AFTER things like machine shops, houses, and plumbing. Or not. There's nothing stopping you from starting an open source appliance project.

"The availability (supplying parts) is the key to change the world."

> Agreed. That's why the infrastructure that turns raw materials into parts is more important than the parts themselves.

"...the project should start with making at least 3-5 of the most desired and easy to make machines: Home appliances. That will help generate a lot of sales"

> OSE isn't a for-profit organization.

• I think the key to answering the OP's question is to determine what open source design can create the most value for DIY'ers per hour invested.  I haven't done any calculations, but my intuition says tools for growing food and building housing would be very effective.  Thus the Lifetrac and CEB press.

Once the concept is proven, it would be great to open source the entire economy.  However, we have to start somewhere.

• @Matt_Maier:
    That means the vast majority of the components are commodities that already have robust, competitive markets.

That's awesome. However, OSE should make sure that the rest of the components (those who don't have robust, competitive markets) will be available for the people to buy.

The idea is to keep the machines so simple suppliers will always compete with each other on price. When that's not possible, make the specifications freely available so that anyone with the right tools can become a supplier.

I thought the specifications will be freely anyway, not only in case that the supplies don't compete each other on price.

"When OSE will supply the machines AND THE PARTS, at decent price - and will stay committed to it - then the poor people will finally have the opportunity to buy them and to repair them."

>You mean like a charity? Do you mean give the machines away for no or next-to-no cost?

No way. That's not what I meant at all. I mean, when nobody wants to create parts, then the OSE should make them (for a profit, but at decent price - i.e. not a price inflated 10 times), in order to make sure the clients can repair their machines when they need it. That is the promise of the OSE, that the machines will be easier and cheaper to repair, because they are open source and highly modular. It's common sense to assume that by saying that, OSE means it will take care that the people can buy the parts they need. Because forcing the farmer to buy another 10 machines just to make parts for his OSE tractor isn't exactly "cheap" for him. OSE must check if the parts are available for the people to buy, and if they are not, it should try to supply them. Otherwise it means OSE made a false promise.

We've been around on this subject before.

Yes we have been but you refused to answer some basic common-sense questions. Like what kind of indication you have that appliances with 10x reduction in price (that are also cheaper to repair) can't make significant sales.

The GVCS can make appliances. Appliances cannot make the GVCS. Things that can make things are more necessary than labor-saving devices.

Really? A Tractor or a  Soil Pulverizer can make appliances? I don't really believe that. They are part of the GVCS because they can help to produce something basic - food.
    A CEB Press can't make appliances. It can help to make something basic - a house.
    I have to believe that clothes are also something basic.
    I can't imagine a self-sufficient sustainable community of people who have the comfort of modern civilization, working in agriculture, in industry, in engineering ... all naked.
    Can you imagine a naked self-sufficient community?

OSE isn't a for-profit organization.

Of course it's not but it needs money. Developing the GVCS machines costs a lot of money. More money can help the organization to be more efficient and to be more productive. Money are always welcomed in OSE for future enhancements of the designs, and for further research. Why to refuse to make more money? Is Marcin refusing donations because "OSE isn't for-profit organization" ?

• "I thought the specifications will be freely anyway, not only in case that the supplies don't compete each other on price."

> It would be clearer if I rephrased that as, "keep non-stock parts simple enough that they can be produced on machines and by people who are part of robust, competitive markets."

"when nobody wants to create parts, then the OSE should make them (for a profit, but at decent price"

> If OSE can turn a profit making them then why wouldn't someone else do it?

"It's common sense to assume that by saying that, OSE means it will take care that the people can buy the parts they need."

> No it's not. OSE is merely promising to do the science and engieering to produce functional designs. No additional relationship is stated or implied.

"Because forcing the farmer to buy another 10 machines just to make parts for his OSE tractor isn't exactly "cheap" for him."

> The cheapness comes from the increase in options. Just like a machinist isn't going to harvest grain, a farmer isn't going to make splined shafting. OSE is working on open sourcing a complex and integrated system of infrastructure, OSE is not working on eliminating the concept of specialization of labor. You don't build a village out of one farmer. The guy who owns the machine shop down the street makes the parts for the farmer who makes the food. I didn't think it was that hard to understand.

"Can you imagine a naked self-sufficient community?"

> Yeah...actually I can. Humans were self-sufficient and naked for most of their history. There's no mechanical reason why clothes are necessary to operate digital watches. We could go back to being naked if the culture wanted to.

"Why to refuse to make more money?"

> Because it would replace the work OSE has already promised its supporters it would do. If it's such a great idea, why are you refusing to make money with it?

• "Clothes are not basic things? Machines that make and wash clothes are somewhat ridiculous or what? What's wrong with them?"

> We've been around on this subject before. The GVCS can make appliances. Appliances cannot make the GVCS. Things that can make things are more necessary than labor-saving devices. Appliances will be made AFTER things like machine shops, houses, and plumbing. Or not. There's nothing stopping you from starting an open source appliance project.

One problem is, the GVCS50 is a mixture of machines. Without following one approach consequently.

There are things for consumer items. And there are investment items. And there are machines to produce machines. Thats 3 different categories. But all are mixed up in the GVCS50.

A CEB press doesn't produce machines. But it produces investment items, ok, has to be qestioned if you build a house. But if You build a factory with those bricks, its an productive investment. From the GVCS 50, there are many machines that don't produce other machines. Tractors, bulldozers, trucks, though these are productive items. Therefore its wrong to say the GVCS contains goods that produce machines, that's only true for more or less a dozen of the GVCS50. Okay, maybe two dozen if I count machines that produce raw materials for machines (steel roller, aluminium extractor...)

Also there are a few items for consumers in the GVCS. The bakery oven doesn't produce anything productive, "just" bread and pizza. The car is more a consumer item than a productive item as most cars today are for personal use. I don't think we should integrate a washing machine in the GVCS, but to be consequent, the bakery oven has to be removed from the GVCS set too as it not a bit more productive than a washing machine.
    @Gonzo

For the short-run, the "cheaper open source machine shop" will just be a dream.
    That's totally false. The open source machines are much cheaper as you can replace parts at dirt cheap.
    >

Well, currently there are no 'open source machine tools' available. And, according to all information in the forums and the wiki, there will be none in the next years, that are competitive to commcial machine tools in performance and quality of work.

'Simpler'? A simpler machine means most often a machine with lower overall value. Industrial research has over years explored most ways to reduce production costs of machines. And its a myth You can produce a machine with comparable value much simpler. To ensure same quality, You need the same quality and materials and the same precision in manufacturing. This is valid as long as OSE specifications call for "high performance", "industrial efficiency" and 'livelong quality". If we give up these standards, OSE machines will be simpler and cheaper. But IMO than it has become a third-world GVCS.

Mike

• Matt_Maier:

I suppose we'd have to put a number on "acceptable" quality.

It might be difficult to rate every feature of a tool with a number. But there are aspects where "numbers" are known for decades in mechanical engineering. Numbers for power, precision, stiffness, positional errors for CNCs.

There are a lot of books that give data for required precision of common machine parts. And there are a lot of printed standards from ISO, DIN, GOST and others for required precision of machine tools like drills, lathes, mills, grinders, planers. These are minimum requirements, machines from good manufacturers with reputation usually have much lower errors. But I would agree that a machine that meets just the standards is "acceptable". A really good machine has to be better, also because machines become less precise through wear over time.

Machine tools with significantly less precision than given in the standards aren't acceptable - it's simple, Matt !

There's a tendency by many supporters of OSE to say, we don't need precision, its OSE, it should be simple. Thats a dead road.
    The datas for precision in the literature and from component manufacturers are based on experience from 2 centuries mechanical engineering. Regarding them as a joke is ignorance, but its often found among people who deal with OSE projects. Sadly its also found at FeF.

Take a ball bearing as example. Its no secret how to design the shaft and bearing for, You'll find it everywhere, permissible tolerances included.

And a ball bearing doesn't care that it's part of an OSE machine. It demands its proper "living conditions". Or else it will work poor, create noise and quit its service soon. Thats the truth about keeping it "simple", where simple in OSE designs means we do it primitive and coarse. Thats what the term simple really stands for in OSE.

Mike

• ive just been working on crank shaft design and i read your comments here and now im feeling bad for being sloppy :O

is there anything we can do to help inspire keeping things precise? like a page on how properly use a tape measure? i duno...

anyways, heard anything new about the lifetrac wheel mounts? have they been tested much yet? did you like the selected design or did you like a different one?

• "when nobody wants to create parts, then the OSE should make them (for a profit, but at decent price)"
    > If OSE can turn a profit making them then why wouldn't someone else do it?

Exactly for the same reason why there are no open source machine producers today.

It's common sense to assume that by saying that, OSE means it will take care that the people can buy the parts they need."
    > No it's not. OSE is merely promising to do the science and engineering to produce functional designs. No additional relationship is stated or implied.

That's not honest. Saying "repair the machine is cheaper" means OSE will try to help the clients to buy the parts when they need them.

The guy who owns the machine shop down the street makes the parts for the farmer who makes the food. I didn't think it was that hard to understand.

If that guy is closing the business, then OSE should help the machine owners to buy the parts they need. Either by making sure there are other suppliers, or supply the parts if no one else is doing it.
    OSE is accepting orders for the machines. I guess it's not delivering the machines as a charity. Even if it's making them for zero profit (though I hope its not the case), it's still a for-profit operation.
    What's the problem in supplying parts too?

There's no mechanical reason why clothes are necessary to operate digital watches. We could go back to being naked if the culture wanted to.

And we can go back to live in caves if we want to. That's not an excuse for creating a "self sustainable" naked community.

"Why to refuse to make more money?"
    > Because it would replace the work OSE has already promised its supporters it would do.

No way. More money means faster development of the work OSE has already promised its supporters it would do.

If it's such a great idea, why are you refusing to make money with it?

I don't have the expertise and the money to start such a thing on my own but at least I can support the project.

You keep refusing to admit that the project needs money in order to do it's work. That's why Marcin spends a lot of time to get funding and to get more supporters - because the project needs money to develop the products

• @@dorkmo

Sorry, I can't give You links to good literature in English.

Lifetrac, well, my last information by MikeA is that FeF doesn't use the Lifetracs anymore. They are developing a Lifecat skid-steer loader roughly based on the Lifetrac.

Maybe some people at FeF have realized that the Lifetrac design doesn't have the potential to become a good agricultural tractor.

Obviously, Marcin favores now outsourcing the development of machines to commercial companies, so I wouldn't be surprised if a new tractor design is developed by a commercial machine shop.

Personally, I am not sure whether we should be happy or sad about this outsourcing policy ???

:-S

Mike

• @Bastelmike:
    Well, currently there are no 'open source machine tools' available. And, according to all information in the forums and the wiki, there will be none in the next years, that are competitive to commercial machine tools in performance and quality of work.

'Simpler'? A simpler machine means most often a machine with lower overall value. Industrial research has over years explored most ways to reduce production costs of machines. And its a myth You can produce a machine with comparable value much simpler. To ensure same quality, You need the same quality and materials and the same precision in manufacturing. This is valid as long as OSE specifications call for "high performance", "industrial efficiency" and 'livelong quality". If we give up these standards, OSE machines will be simpler and cheaper. But IMO than it has become a third-world GVCS.

Sorry but I have to say it: you are very wrong. OSE can put the same quality, materials and precision in manufacturing. And the machines will cost less than the proprietary ones, because OSE doesn't charge for the brand. There are lots of products where the client pays even 90% of the price just for the brand, and less than 10% for the cost of production.
    OSE can make the machines with even better complexity and keep the prices low. And OSE can make better designs for the machines to have have much less components and to have the same or more efficiency.
    I remember about 8 years ago, Tata Motors announced they will make a very cheap car - for 1,000 - 2,000 $ or so. Very soon after, as a reaction, a representative of Renault declared the company might look into making cheap cars, as it's possible to reduce the number of components from 6,000 to about 2,000 in a car. Years passed, Tata Motors delivered very poorly, and of course their western competitors haven't bothered to make cheap cars, as they don't feel any real competition pressure.
    But the fact remains: it is possible to make cars with less complexity. It's just that the manufacturers do not want to bother making them. They want to maintain the illusion that cars have to be (very) expensive.

Team Wikispeed is another proof that machines can be made cheaper. Not only in the amount of materials used and their complexity, but also in design costs.

• "The bakery oven doesn't produce anything productive, "just" bread and pizza. The car is more a consumer item than a productive item as most cars today are for personal use. I don't think we should integrate a washing machine in the GVCS, but to be consequent, the bakery oven has to be removed from the GVCS set too as it not a bit more productive than a washing machine."
    > Yeah, I added stuff like that to the wiki a long time ago. http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/GVCS_Changes

"...simple in OSE designs means we do it primitive and coarse. Thats what the term simple really stands for in OSE."
    > Finding the right balance is definitely an core issue. The way I see it, OSE is recreating the industrial revolution from a different point of view. The first one was profit-driven. That's great, but the problem with for-profit innovation is that, by definition, it cannot have as large a design space as non-profit innovation. Open source technology has no limitations because it has no need to turn a profit. If something works, it works, there is nothing more important. That means if we re-do everything we should be able to realize significant savings because we'll make objectively better innovations. Many things WON'T change. The tolerances required for a bearing to work aren't going to be any different. The yield strength of steel isn't going to be different. It's not that people are forgetting what was learned, it's that they don't have the resources to do anything besides primitive work. Unlike open source software, hardware requires a lot of space and money...heavy industry requires even more. Everyone is aware of the need for good engineering, but the good stuff simply costs too much right now.

"heard anything new about the lifetrac wheel mounts? have they been tested much yet? did you like the selected design or did you like a different one?"
    > According to Marcin they've been tested and do what they're supposed to do. I don't know how long they'll last...probably longer than the old solution. Everyone involved knows they're sub-optimal. Personally I think that's okay. You have to look at these first prototypes as the starting point. In a few generations they'll be light years ahead of where they are now, but they have to start somewhere.

"...there are no open source machine producers today."
    > Could you expand on that idea? I suspect you didn't state it clearly because I can think of a dozen off the top of my head...depending on what you mean by "machine."

"Saying "repair the machine is cheaper" means OSE will try to help the clients to buy the parts when they need them."
    > How so? I read that as merely saying that the machine was designed to be "cheaper" to repair than the commercial alternatives. I don't see where it says OSE will do all the work for you.

"Personally, I am not sure whether we should be happy or sad about this outsourcing policy"
    > It is an uncomfortable discussion. However, my opinion is that OSE's core goal is to make something that works. HOW the thing is made is of secondary importance. 

"They want to maintain the illusion that cars have to be (very) expensive."
    > No one's doing anything evil. It's not a conspiracy. Automotive manufacturers make their living selling cars. They have a fiduciary responsibility to their share holders and employees to make money. They make money by making cars. It's not about the cars, it's about an income, so of course the cars are designed to maximize income. Over time that has centralized market power in a few organizations, which allows them to make even more money by all moving in roughly the same direction. OSE (and wikispeed and others like them) is responding to that movement. The major manufacturers are moving higher up on the price spectrum because, when they all do it, no one has any choice...they have to buy the more expensive cars. Well, they're leaving room at the bottom for cheaper/simpler cars. The same with all the other suppliers of major industrial goods. We're just moving into that space and, since a lot of time has passed, we're improving things too. 

• @Matt_Maier

"Personally, I am not sure whether we should be happy or sad about this outsourcing policy"

> It is an uncomfortable discussion. However, my opinion is that OSE's core goal is to make something that works. HOW the thing is made is of secondary importance. 

I haven't written that I am completely against that policy ! My feelings are really very mixed about it, as it has pros and cons. The positive aspects are
    1. A chance to get more professional designs for the machines because trained and experienced technicians will develop them
    2. Commercial shops don't have the constraints in manufacturing capabilities like FeF. They usually have the machinery, tools and measuring equipment needed.
    3. Probably we will finally get manufacturing drawings in industrial quality. A point where OSE (andFeF) have performed poor in the past. For the machines that already have been made, there is still a lack of actual drawings in industrial quality

But I see also severe potential disadvantages of this policy
    1. Contractors may have the tendency to keep part of the design and especially details about manufacturing secret. This may be done either to protect some "manufacturing tricks" they know or not to show obviously bad manufacturing of some parts. Anyway, this will make it difficult for OSE to keep their promise not only to publish the designs, but also give detail informations about the manufacturing process.

2. Contractors collect a lot of experience during such a development of a certain machine type, and usually there are several options for a mechanical design. Contractors may be tempted to give OSE the second-best design they've found and keep the best as proprietary closed-source design for their own business. Thus OSE may have funded the research and development of a future competitor.

3. These contractors don't do that for free! The money paid to them might in the long run be more effective if spent for OSE investments in shops, tools and research.

4. Working in a design project creates knowhow and experience in the people involved, no matter if paid employees or volunteers. And if the project is successful, it also makes the people involved confident about their abilities. This would be a stimulus for future projects. Outsourcing deelopment has none of these important effects for future activities. Outsourcing will probably reduce OSEs chances to form a good development team for future projects.

As I said before, my feelings are very mixed about it ...

Mike

• I like this thread very much, a lot of good stuff floating around it!

The GVCS has a lot of built in assumptions around their construction. One is that the people/peoples building the machines already have at least some what of a stable base of resources. Second is that they have access to cash, credit or bartering assets with which obtain the parts and materials to build the machines. And third is that the people doing the building have a basic to moderate knowledge of metalworking/engineering/construction/ect. Given these assumptions it is obvious that the GVCS is not a from scratch project. I would say it is equally obvious that those people who have money and desire to build the set will be able to do so much quicker and comfortably than those with the desire alone. Here is where charity comes in. That ia of course a whole other philosophical can of worms for another time.

In regards to the outsourcing of the machines to design companies, it is likely to be the only way for OSE to hope to get the full 50 machines prototyped in the next 10 months. I largely agree with Bastelmike on the pros and cons. I tend to lean towards it being better in the long run so long as the lay person is able to repeat the professional construction with the GVCS tool and other basic and affordable tools.

I think precision Can be largely situational, but is is always advantages to be overly precise rather than lacking. An example is in woodworking. It is a simple thing to make a rudimentary lathe capable of producing furniture and other goods from wood. This contrasts to a metal lathe where precision is paramount because of nature of the finished products application. There is nothing wrong with a rudimentary wood lathe, just don't try to do anything precise on it!

"Can you imagine a naked self-sufficient community?"

>
    Yeah...actually I can. Humans were self-sufficient and naked for most of
    their history. There's no mechanical reason why clothes are necessary
    to operate digital watches. We could go back to being naked if the
    culture wanted to.

I find this comment quite humorous. Clothing is technically a form of shelter, without which humans would have never left their original natural environment without the evolution of thicker hair or fatty layers. Clothing allows people to be outside of their natural environment by keeping them warm and protected from the elements. I tend to agree that clothing production and washing are not well adapted to what the GVCS is trying to accomplish, although, a commercial loom is necessary, and fits into the structure of a machine that creates a machine, as the fabric created is not the final product, and is further refined into items. It should be noted however that while human beings could technically take off their clothes and live naked, the majority of those who live in temperate climates would only live until the weather turnes cold, and then they would die from exposure, as it would be impractical and nigh impossible to not leave ones home for resources.

• On that subject, I think it would make more sense to include leather processing tools before cloth processing. Leather can be used as clothing, but it can also serve as a crude rubber substitute. You can make bladders and seals and hinges and whatnot out of it. It bothers me that the GVCS doesn't include a way to make rubber or anything like it. 

I figure the stuff that's hard to make, like bearings and alloys, will be the last additions to the GVCS. Eventually they'll be open sourced as well.

There might never be any need for an actual from-scratch process. There will probably always be at least some amount of scrap available. For a great example of the difference between from-scratch and from-scrap check out this clip from The Hunted
    Tommy Lee Jones is working from-scratch; Benicio Del Toro is working from-scrap. 
    Even if it's never necessary, it should be possible to document the entire process. At some point in history someone had to figure out a way to do every single step without having anything more complicated to rely on. Even if the knowledge has been lost it can be rediscovered. I wonder how much of it relies on a lifetime of experience with crude tools and how much could be captured in an expert system. 

• "...there are no open source machine producers today."
    > Could you expand on that idea? I suspect you didn't state it clearly because I can think of a dozen off the top of my head...depending on what you mean by "machine."

That's extremely few, almost nothing. They don't produce even 0.001% of their respective market demands.

"Saying "repair the machine is cheaper" means OSE will try to help the clients to buy the parts when they need them."
    > How so? I read that as merely saying that the machine was designed to be "cheaper" to repair than the commercial alternatives. I don't see where it says OSE will do all the work for you.

If you want the people to buy the GVCS machines, you must make sure they will trust you when you say that it's really cheaper to repair the machines.
    If they will need a part for their machine and they won't be able to find that part on the market, then they should have the opportunity to buy it from OSE.
    If you tell them, in full arrogance and cynicism, that "it's their work to make the parts", suggesting that they will have to buy an additional 10-20 machines to produce the parts, then it won't be exactly "cheap" for them to repair their machine.
    It's a total nonsense to tell to a farmer that he will have to spend 50,000$ for machines and for raw materials just for producing one part that costs 50$.

Indeed, some people will start to produce parts for the GVCS machines. But it will take some time until that happens. And they will need to have some demand in order to start. The demand can be created only if there are enough people who buy OSE machines.
    So until there will be a good supply of parts elsewhere, OSE should supply them, in order to make the clients to believe that it's really cheaper to repair the machines, and to make them buy the machines.
    It's utterly preposterous to assume that everyone will buy a set of 20 GVCS machines because "it's their job to produce their own parts".
    Again, you show that for you, the OSE project is designed for the fancy rich "geeks" who want to play with toys... for boys.
    To tell to a poor farmer that struggled to save money to buy a Lifetrac that he will have to spend 10 times more to buy an entire set of machines, just to produce a 30$ worth component, that is absolute insanity !

• "It's a total nonsense to tell to a farmer that he will have to spend 50,000$ for machines and for raw materials just for producing one part that costs 50$."
    > You need to get past this mistake. The GVCS machines are specifically designed to be made out of parts that are either stock commodities, or simple to machine in an existing shop. You CAN build the entire GVCS but you don't HAVE to. If you don't have a lathe you CAN buy one, you CAN build one, or you CAN take the blueprint to a machinist and pay them to make the part for you. Because it is a simple part, made from stock material, they won't have any difficulty fabricating it and they won't charge you much. That is a BETTER solution than having OSE stock the parts for the machines and shipping them all over the world. 

"some people will start to produce parts for the GVCS machines. But it will take some time until that happens. And they will need to have some demand in order to start."
    > Yeah, they'll need a single customer to walk in with a blueprint and say, "Hey, machinist-guy, make me this part. I'll pay you money. Or I'll give you a chicken or whatever." It wouldn't even make sense to stock parts for the GVCS for at least a decade. It's going to be evolving for at least that long before any of the designs are even close to settled. Also, stocking parts would limit creativity and flexibility. 

> So, lets recap all the reasons your objection doesn't make sense:
    1) The machines use mostly stock material, which is the cheapest stuff available, and can be overnighted to pretty much anywhere in the world.
    2) When a part needs to be more complicated it is made out of stock material with a bare minimum of machining steps, ensuring that any reasonably competent machinist can produce the part on demand, and a few incompetent ones can get it right with a little luck.
    3) The GVCS doesn't even exist yet, so stocking/selling parts for it makes no sense.
    4) When it does finally exist, it will be a collection of PROTOTYPE machines that will go through dramatic design changes for a decade or more.
    5) When it's all said and done, if OSE can stock parts and ship them around the world, for LESS money than they can be produced locally, then the GVCS will be a total failure. It is being specifically designed to be an alternative to that kind of thing.

• @Matt_Maier:
    1) I wasn't talking about parts that are (or will be) available to buy on the market.
    2) Good. But some people might not have a machinist in their neighborhood to make them parts.
    3) I wasn't talking about selling parts now. I was talking about supplying parts after the machines will be created and sold. And I was talking only about parts that won't be available on the market when the clients will need them.
    4) People should be able to buy parts for the prototype machine they buy.
    5) If the parts are not available locally, that will be a temporary situation. It will take some time for the people to learn that they can produce them. Until then, OSE should supply those parts. Not as charity (in case you got me wrong again), but for profit. GVCS can't be a failure if the people adopt it. In time, the production facilities around the world will start to produce parts too.

• @Gonzo and @Matt_Maier

This discussion about spare parts is running in a completely wrong direction.

1. If someone needs spare parts and can't produce them himself, then he hasn't produced the complete machine himself too. So he has bought the machine from someone and usually the manufacturer is your first address when it comes to ordering spare parts. The manufacturer has the shop equipment to produce it and he should reside closer to the customer than FeF would be.

2. The local machine shop down the street might not be the best address to get spare parts. It may be poorly equipped or even unable to produce that part, except maybe the shop in your community is very large and extraordinary well equipped. But assumed, the local shop can produce the part you need, it may become a very expensive spare part. If the local shop doesn't produce those machines, your spare part will be a single built and single builts are always more expensive than larger production runs because of the the setup time in every operation and for other reasons. Therefore I would consider the local shop not as top source for spares.

3. OSE respective FeF can't be the primary source for spares. Should FeF have every spare part in stock? Or manufacture each one on request (expensive single builts again). What about shipping? Larger machine parts are really heavy, which makes transport by air unaffordable. What about the african farmer who needs a part for his combine during harvest season? If the part is transported by ship, he will receive his part at best after 4 weeks - harvest season has ended

:-((

Therefore I don't think FeF should start a worldwide spare express service, spares should and will be produced by the manufacturers of that specific machine type. Only if FeF itself sells a machine, its their duty to deliver needed parts. Not because its an OSE machine, but because it is FeFs client.

Mike

• "some people might not have a machinist in their neighborhood to make them parts."
    > Then what business do they have buying a machine? If you want to use machines, the first thing you need is a machine shop. Build that, THEN build the machine. This reminds me of a story one of my friends told me about his local Indian Tribe. They decided they wanted a cool private jet just like some of the larger tribes, so they bought one. They also bought a terminal building and a couple pilots. What they didn't buy was a single mechanic. So the first time their jet broke they parked it, told the pilots to hang out in the terminal...and that's where it's been ever since. They never bothered to get it repaired. That kind of thinking isn't OSE's problem. We're here to help people who want to learn, not to do the work for everyone else.

"I was talking only about parts that won't be available on the market when the clients will need them."
    > People who copy open source technology are not clients. There is no relationship between them and the people who published the design. That's actually one of the greatest strengths of the open source philosophy. Arduino doesn't owe me anything if I decide to copy their board from parts I ordered off of Digikey. But, I don't owe them anything either. If someone contracts with OSE to do something specific, THEN there is a client relationship.

"People should be able to buy parts for the prototype machine they buy."
    > A person who wants to use a tractor, but has no way to access global supply chains or local machinists, is jumping the gun. They need to back up and start at a lower level. Actually, lets put it this way: if someone BOUGHT the tractor, then they have access to at least that one supplier. It's not like traveling salesmen will be shleping tractors across the savanna in a briefcase. So, it's up to that supplier to convince their customer they can provide spare parts. Also, it's up to the buyer to beware of an unreliable supplier. I don't see where OSE comes into it.

"The local machine shop down the street might not be the best address to get spare parts. It may be poorly equipped or even unable to produce that part..."
    > The GVCS includes designs for machine shop tools. If the local machine shop doesn't have the tool it needs to make a GVCS part, then they can just build the machine shop tool they need from GVCS plans and THEN they can build the part. If they can't build any of it...then they're not a machine shop. 

• @Matt_Maier
    You are simplifying the task of producing of producing machine parts, Matt

To be able to produce most parts, You need an assortment of different machines, most of them aren't in the GVCS set. Besides this, there is also a size problem in manufacturing. You can't machine parts that are larger than Your machines work area. You can produce parts that are smaller, but even this has limitations. Tiny parts on very large machine tools also don't work.

Every machine shop will be able to produce spare parts for a washing machine, but not every shop has large enough tools for all parts of a tractor,truck, bulldozer. I have seen a lot of shops and there were some, not shops but real large machine factories with hundreds of workers and machines, but You won't find a mill large enough for eg. a truck engine block

=((

Even if OSE publish designs for large machine tools, most shops won't build one. Large machines need a lot of shop space and building them consumes a thousand or more man hours.And You have to buy the raw material. A 30 ton milling machine consist of 29.9 tons of steel and iron - just the material will account for more or less 100,000 bucks. So no shop buys or builds a large one except they continously need one.

Local shops won't be competive in price, too. For them these items are single builts and they need a lot of time to make them. A manufacturer in a market with competition can produce them cheaper because he produces them in larger production runs.

Mike

• At the moment, there's plenty of stuff the GVCS can't even do in theory. 

But that's not important. What's important is that it's a proof of concept. There have been several one-off open source hardware projects that demonstrate the incredible speed of innovation. But, because they're limited in scope, they haven't really proven that the concept works. They can be dismissed as anomalies. Well, the GVCS won't be something people can ignore. 

By demonstrating a dramatic economic impact, on the order of millions of dollars, the GVCS will open the door for the next phase of technology. Quite simply, as more and more people benefit from, and contribute to, open source technology it will inevitably out compete closed source technology. Open source just moves too fast for closed source to keep up. As a process, it generates better solutions, faster...all it lacks at the moment is quantity. Buy-in (so to speak) from a lot of people will come when they see the benefits. Well, the GVCS is going to be so big no one will be able to miss seeing the benefits. 

It doesn't need to be perfect and it doesn't need to do everything. All it needs to do is prove the concept works. From that point, it will take on a life of its own and the benefits will be spread automatically. In 50 years people are going to wonder what it was like living in a time where technology was mostly kept secret. 

• @Bastelmike:
    "Only if FeF itself sells a machine, its their duty to deliver needed parts"
    I like that. Sounds honest. However, FeF can also try to help those who bought the machines from other producers and can't find parts now. It will make a very good reputation to OSE

@Matt_Maier:
    People who copy open source technology are not clients. There is no relationship between them and the people who published the design.
    Of course they are not. But that doesn't mean OSE should not care about them. If OSE will treat them like clients, it will help them to be successful and that can only help proving that it's worth to use OSE machines.
    When the people using OSE machines will be successful, then the OSE project will surely be successful.

• "When the people using OSE machines will be successful, then the OSE project will surely be successful."

> Success is in the eye of the beholder. A cutting edge, brand new, paradigm shattering technology project has unusual metrics for judging success. I will say OSE is successful when it inspires and supports businesses to provide and support the GVCS. I don't think it makes sense for OSE to take on the role of a business.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion