Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
Willy from Niagara Falls Canada
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    VVilly

January 2012
    Just saying Hi and glad to be here. I love the idea and what's been done so far. 

I was just working on my own DIY ideas and cam across this site.

Thanks
    Will

• 7 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    VVilly

January 2012
    2 things:

I'm trying to source out hydraulic parts for a system, and Marcin has posted up info on the wiki about the newer, much higher efficiency technology, particularly those developed by Peter Achten @ Innis. Does anyone know where to find that? Other options?

My fallback idea is to buy an old, used utility truck, such as with a snow plow or a dump truck that will already have a hydraulic system installed. I was looking at regular pickup trucks and installing a PTO driven system, but the pricing is prohibitive. 

This would double as a power source for my workshop, but the downsides are low efficiency and noise. If I can run the truck engine using the house natgas, that will improve the power cost. 
    I was hoping that the single piston engines in the new hydraulic systems would be much quieter. 

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    VVilly

January 2012
    2nd thing, FYI if anyone's interested:

I'm going to try (hopefully) and build my own welder from here http://diy-welder.com/buildit.shtml. Awesome guy, cool idea.

I purchased this gen head for the power source. Hence why I'm looking for a hydraulic enabled truck to run the gen head. I dislike nasty noise (hard to work for extended periods of time), and I think a truck engine running well below full throttle will be quieter than a portable generator size engine running at full throttle. 

I guess this is expensive for the agenda here, but I think it hits a sweet spot with a lot of benefit for the cost. It's the foundation for my whole workshop and it's a utility vehicle with hydraulic options.

• I think you may want to put a larger variable-flow pump on your hydraulic capable vehicle to do everything you might want to.  You could also use a hydraulic accumulator to run the vehicle on a more intermittent cycle, if your hydraulic needs aren't particularly intense during notable periods of time.

What are you going to build in your workshop, once you get it powered up?

• Wouldn't compressed air make more sense for powering a workshop?

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    mjnmjn

January 2012
    Hi Willy.  Welcome to OSE.  Niagra Falls isn't all that far from where I live, just south of Ithaca.

- Mark

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    VVilly

January 2012
    @DavidIAm yes, for sure - I've seen these implemented on the new hydraulic hybrid vehicles (HHV) and it's exciting. The beauty is I don't know all I'm going to build. What time and money will allow. I've recently discovered welding and I'll want to do some metal work for sure. Some things todo: adjustable height tables, exercise equipment, big&heavy workbench, tool rack, whatever. maybe some of the projects from here, who knows.

@Matt_Maier There isn't enough electricity going to the garage. The gen head will be my power and I need something 40hp+ to turn it. Trying to wire more power to the garage will cost $$ anyways (main panel has to be replaced for starters), so I think I will get more bang for the buck with this route. Plus hydraulics has a lot of bonuses like we see here at OSE.

@mjn Thanks Mark, I guess that means you got the snow today too :)

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    mjnmjn

January 2012
    Heck, it's STILL snowing.  At least six inches out there.

- Mark

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion