Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
coherent splintering
  • Lets say this GVCS thing actually works. That strongly implies there will be people all over the world quickly advancing the designs for the machines in addition to adding entirely new designs. It would be nice if there was a method for managing that. Or, if not actively managing it, at least culling all the products for which ones will be incorporated into the official GVCS. I forsee not only an increase in the number of machines, but a variety of each machine, optimized for a particular set of constraints.

Maybe we OSE could administer a sort of "white pages" for open source designs. Anything and everything that seems to be a distinct design gets added automatically or manually. Then, anyone who "owns" that design can clarify it, maintain it and update it with more information. It could be a centralized clearinghouse of GVCS derivatives. When people want to know if there's an open source version of a machine they can just search for it like they would for a business and any existing information will turn up. Anyone who's used that particular design can "rate" it and over time the good stuff will rise permanently to the top.

• 2 Comments sorted by
  • That sure sounds like a very good idea! I also think that we need to redisgn the wiki or change it to a different type of data system. Where you can easily add and extract the information needed for the tools that you require. And that there is a good overview of what is missing and still needs to be updated.

• I agree! I should be talking with a drupal developer later this week on this very topic.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion