    From: "Zach Dwiel"
    Date: Jan 20, 2013 9:31 AM
    Subject: Re: CEB Press Code
    To: "Yoonseo Kang"
    Cc: "James Wise" , "William Neal"

    I think we can have links on the wiki to the code no matter if the
    code is in the wiki itself or on an external resource like github.
    Also, if there are multiple incompatible versions of the CEB control
    code, then we can have multiple versions in git or on the wiki.
    Multiple versions and version control/storage medium are completely
    independent.

    Also, if we aren't comfortable using an external site for hosting, it
    is trivial for anyone with sysadmin experience to setup git on a
    server, perhaps even the same server running the OSE wiki.

    I would gladly setup the version control system (github or other) if I
    am assured that it will actually get used.  I would also be willing to
    use a google hangout and show whoever is interested how to use
    git/github from Ubuntu.

    cooperatively,
    zach

    On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Yoonseo Kang  wrote:
    > If we're githubbing, then we could put github links on the wiki so that we
    > have some inter-database connections.
    >
    > If we're wiki'ing, then we could have multiple links for different types of
    > CEB control code depending on what features are in it, such as with pressure
    > sensors or hall effect vs mechanical contact sensors.
    >
    > Just a few thoughts.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Yoonseo
    >

    > On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 7:27 AM, Zach Dwiel wrote:
    >>
    >> nice.  I guess what I am most interested in is making it easier to
    >> contribute to the OSE code.
    >>
    >> github.com/ose is way out of date, and all of the real work that is
    >> going on is just getting uploaded periodically to the wiki.  There is
    >> a good reason why every open source software project uses a source
    >> control system like github to keep track of things.  I could upload my
    >> latest changes to the wiki and overwrite the code that is there, but
    >> that makes it very difficult for other people who are using the code
    >> to see what changes I made and proofread and understand those changes.
    >>  Maybe I just need to be comfortable uploading my code on the wiki and
    >> overwriting the existing version, but I have the feeling that it would
    >> wind up seriously inconveniencing someone.
    >>
    >> What do you guys think is the easiest way for us to collaborate on CEB
    >> code?
    >>
    >> zach
    >>
    >> On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 11:50 PM, James Wise  wrote:
    >> > heres the stuff i found http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/OSE_on_GitHub
    >> >
    >> > apparently at github.com/ose you can become a member somehow, not really
    >> > sure what that does.
    >> >
    >> > also started a page to list torrent files but i only really found one.
    >> > maybe
    >> > will be used more in the future.

  • 13 Comments sorted by
  • I guess it's easier if we use GitHub (or BitBucket) instead of installing it on OSE's server, is that ok?

    We could then set up a cron job to make backups of the code, in case GitHub disappears someday.

    I've added  dorkmo and Yoonseok (Yoonseo, is that you?) to GitHub's CEB repository. Should I add anyone else?

  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    zdwiel

    January 2013
    I think it would be easiest to use github/butbucket so that we get an easy web front end for people who don't know git.  Also, no extra croned backups are necessary by the vary distributed nature of git, everyone who has a copy checked out, has a backup of the entire history.  The only event that a croned 'backup' of the repo would be helpful is if there isn't a single person who is using the git repo ...

    There were some features that were requested a while back a Pause button being the most significant that I would like to contribute.  I can do a pull request if yall are comfortable with that, or if you add me on github, I'll put up some of my code myself.

  • @zdwiel: just added you, thanks!

  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Beluga

    January 2013
    What about installing gitorious http://gitorious.org/

  • Yes, PLEASE put this up on github! Advantages:

    * visibility! a project on github gets exposure (and faster search engine credibility)
    * free for open source projects
    * zero maintenance
    * easier for the less (software) technically inclined
    * file creation from the web interface
    * a growing platform (extra services?)
    * wiki functionality (if you want it, can be cloned to other places, so no loss of independence)
    * issue tracker

    Mark

  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    eBelleBell

    January 2013
    My Vote is for github... I'd like to build a CEB press controller to trade with someone who can build the mech/hydraulics, but am unsure as to the most updated version.

    Is the Detroit version obsolete? Is manual etching no longer the way to go?

  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Beluga

    January 2013
    I understand Gitorious is technically superior to GitHub. I am interested in your views on this. I'm not much of a coder or juggler of versions myself, but I have a basic understanding of version control navigation, diffs etc..

  • Beluga, I can't really see a way in which gitorious would be technically superior to github. Would you care to elaborate on that?

  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Beluga

    January 2013
    I can't really elaborate on that, because I have a very superficial level of understanding in these matters as I'm a non-coder and was expecting someone more knowledgeable to comment. Here's an interesting comparison, which includes GitLab: http://www.boxuk.com/blog/a-tale-of-three-git-systems

  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    eBelleBell

    January 2013
    I am strongly in favour of github for any OSE project, primarily due to the similar values, a very visible public repo and a large developer audience.  Pretty much exactly what markvdb said up there.

  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    dorkmodorkmo

    January 2013
    i think yoonseo has been aiming for making the design simple to make since we had issues with etching boards and circuit mill is a whole nother challenge.

    on the other hand zach designed a single board sollution using a teensy arduino dip.

    trade offs either way. we're definitely better off with more options tho eh. and without git versioning or super clear wiki pages stuff gets confusing, so im glad we're talking about this lol

    ps i know theres not much development value but i think itd be cool to make our own copper clad boards

  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    eBelleBell

    January 2013
    Thanks for the clarification.

    While I think it's important to have multiple 'forks' depending on what resources are available, I still think it's really important to have an indication of what the latest 'stable build' is. If I want to go ahead and build the CEB controller and donate it to a metal fab build, I want to know it will work.

    Since there are multiple sensor platforms being used (hall effect, magnets, etc), is there any indication what is the 'best' yet?

  • That would be great. But how is ubuntu different. Could you give a few bullet points.

    Agile methodology

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion