Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
Polylactic acid - 3D printing bioplastic
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    poli

August 2012
    I am working to develop an OS protocol and the hardware necessary to produce polylactic acid a bioplastic used in 3D printing from a sugar feedstock. I am a graduate student in biochemistry and have found a material scientist at another university interested in pursuing the project next summer. There is also post doc (in Turkey) interested in collaborating on the bioreactor design and sharing an arduino based controller and code. The plan is to use build an OS bioreactor to hold a lactic acid producing bacteria and control the growth conditions while continually harvesting lactic acid rich broth. Lactic acid will be purified from the broth using electrodialysis or reactive distillation - still need to work out which is more efficient on a small scale. Purification is a weak point of the plan right now and needs input. Polymerization will be in an OS chemical reactor under vacuum with a SnCl2/
    p-toulenesulfonic acid monohydrate catalyst. If anyone has any suggestions on where to recruit other collaborators respond below.

• 3 Comments sorted by
  • There's a project called "Filabot" that performs what is essentially the next step of your process, which is turning the feedstock into printable filament.  There's also a "Polymer working group" forum on the RepRap site, which would probably contain lots of useful info.

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    4ndy4ndy

October 2012
    This guy may be able to help you with reactor design. I'm going to Glasgow later this month, so I may be able to grovel to his team for some help if you can't get hold of them by email, PM me any contact details you would like passed on.

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    poli

October 2012
    Thanks for the tip, I read Cronin's nature paper over the summer and it definitely shows the potential for 3d printing to revolutionize manufacturing even of chemical synthesis. The "reactors" they made were an application of 3d printing but for polymer production a larger heated and vacuum capable production reactor is needed. 

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion