Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
Problems uploading files to the wiki
  • Zip file uploading is disabled on our wiki, because they represent a security risk.

See http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgMimeTypeBlacklist
    "A ZIP file may be a valid Java archive containing an applet which exploits the same-origin policy to steal cookies"

My suggestion is to convert zip files to tar.bz2 files before uploading.

Here's a list of enabled file extensions on our wiki configuration:

$wgFileExtensions = array( 'png', 'gif', 'jpg', 'jpeg', 'ppt', 'pdf', 'doc', 'psd', 'mp3','xls','swf', 'doc', 'odt', 'odc', 'odp', 'odg', 'mpp', 'blend');

If you are unable to upload any of the enabled file extensions, please post the error message below.

• 3 Comments sorted by
  • I added a ZIP file, containing a DOC, to a .bz2 file - didn't work
    I uploaded a .bz2 file - didn't work

Error Message in red:
    Permitted file types: png, gif, jpg, jpeg, ppt, pdf, doc, psd, mp3, xls, swf, doc, odt, odc, odp, odg, mpp, blend.

• Oops... I suggested using bz2 files but I haven't added bz2 to the list of allowed extensions!

It's fixed now, please try again.

• Another tip: You should avoid adding a zip file to a bz2 (or gz) file, since you loose the ability to properly compress the original file contents. Trying to compress an already-compressed file is really hard. The best thing is to simply take the original Word document (.doc) and compress it using BZip2 directly. It will also make things easier when you want to get the uncompressed original document.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Tagged