Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
OSE Radical Transparency
  • Friends,

I suggest that we create a publicly-readable forum category for radical transparency (or maybe we use this one - OSE Core Team)

See the Wikipedia article on what Radical Transparency means: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radical_transparency

By implementing a radical transparency approach in OSE, we could prevent future misunderstandings and other problems that arise when a group of people take decisions and others don't know how on earth those decisions were reached.

There can be times in which it is not practical to post things publicly (it takes less time to simply act than to document why you are taking an action and then act), but let's try to see how it goes.

There can also be times in which a third-party requires from OSE some level of confidentiality. Let's try to keep this to a minimum, using confidentiality as a last resort.

Radical transparency is a management approach in which (ideally) all decision making is carried out publicly. The term was used by Daniel Goleman in his book Ecological Intelligence. In the book, Goleman discusses the potential for "new technologies that reveal with "radical transparency" the eco-impact of products we buy, with the potential to drive consumers to make smarter decisions and companies to reform their business practices."Draft documents, arguments for and against a proposal, the decisions about the decision making process itself, and final decisions are all publicly accessible and remain publicly archived.Exceptions to full transparency typically include data related to personal privacy, security, and passwords or keys necessary for access required to carry out publicly negotiated decisions. Technical actions perceived to be controversial or political are considered to lack legitimacy until a clear, radically transparent decision has been made concerning them.

• 3 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down December 2011
    I wholeheartedly agree.  This is a valuable approach to take.

• Vote Up0Vote Down February 2012
    Hi folks,

• I am new to OSE. 
    • You can read about me here: http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/Simon_Walter-Hansen
    • I am logging my activity here: opensourceecology.org/wiki/Simon_Walter-Hansen/Log
    • I am agreeable to Radical Transparency.
    • I have been directed to this post for the purpose of understanding the use of Radical Transparency within OSE.
    • I do not see a category for Radical Transparency in the forum, has this been created?
    • I only see two posts tagged "transparency".
    • Where is it appropriate to post and view who is working on what?
    Thanks!
    -Simon

• Hey Simon, welcome to OSE!  You show an impressive list of past achievements, I hope we can put all that knowledge to good work :D

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Tagged