Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
Plastic bottles as lightbulbs
  • This video, sent by José Estêvão, shows a way people can use plastic bottles as lightbulbs when there's daylight (useful for environments with no light coming from the windows)

• 2 Comments sorted by
  • Only trouble is... this will only work with an uninsulated roof.

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    DanialDanial

January 2012
    Something similar can be achieved with an insulated roof by using an insulated tube with triple glazing on the interior of the house and and a glazing or acrylic dome on the exterior of the roof. It is not water or a bottle but the idea is the same, catch and redirect light. The bottle is effective because it disperses the light in all direction whereas a skylight only lets a straight beam of light in. An expensive alternative to this would be fiber optics or even solid acrylic.

I love the simplicity of this invention. When I first heard of people doing this I was hesitant to believe it, but it really is amazingly effective, and makes me wonder how we could use skylights or tubes more effectively.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion