Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
Inflatable concrete house
  • Has anyone added this concept to the pool of ideas. I think it could be replicated quickly.
    I assume it uses relatively small amounts of concrete. The outside could be lined with CEB blocks.

• 15 Comments sorted by
  • I'd be very interested in more investigation of this. I think at a minimum we should thoroughly understand their technology. Right now I believe its proprietary and there isn't really any information on how exactly the concrete cloth is made.

• That is pretty awesome!  I can see how it works, its a matter of formulation details as much as anything. Ahh, research and development.

• This product is built for transport. What about simply taking rolls of canvas, soaking them in wet concrete, then applying them to a simple form.

Think industrial Papier-mache!

• If we could take course material like hemp and make a type of burlap out of it, I can seriously see it as a possibility.

• Very neat! 

• Ive seen woven straw mats that are very strong without concrete, I think you are on to something.

• Hello,
    I am new to the forum.
    At Loughborough University I know the people who are conceptualizing this technology:
    Combined with autonomous solar powered systems, this can be an extremely powerful technology, yet not ready for use.
    Sincerely, Max

• @maximilian Awesome, glad some group is going on with that innovation. Could not find the old treehugger article on printed architecture, anyone seen it?

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    Conor

August 2011
    >>Has anyone added this concept to the pool of ideas.

Yes. See http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/Air-formed_domes

The Concrete Canvas design you linked to is a patented technology. Binishells, though, have all their patents expired - see link above.

• Vote Up0Vote Down September 2011

Dome construction using CEB is what I'd love to do, I find it a little disheartening that the guys are looking to construct all this machinery to generate insulation to compliment their mainstream building designs. If they went for monolith construction using domes, then insulation would not be required (except for extreme locations).

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    mjnmjn

September 2011
    What is it about a dome that it doesn't require insulation?  Winters are quite cold in Missouri (and elsewhere).

Yeah, ok point taken. Possibly areas that require insulation are less than extreme. That doesn't really diminish the argument to use domes over the mainstream building techniques they seem to have adopted though. If they want to this movement to be relevant to the vast majority, some of those living in extremely arid areas, grass is going to be very scarce, in fact so is wood. It would be better to adopt a building practice that is 100% earth using domes.

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    mjnmjn

September 2011
    An resource based economy suggests that abundance is based (in part) on local resources.  FeF is trying to prove that point by using their local resources, such as wood, straw, and dirt.  Designs for living will necessarily be different in other places anyways.  Very hot places will need more focus on cooling.  Wet places are not going to do as well with CEB unless measures are taken to keep them dry.  Etc.

Dome are a very stable and quite beautiful architectural features.  Living in a dome-house, however, can be difficult.  Consider stock cabinets, for example.  Difficult to fit them into a kitchen with a round wall.  Bookcases don't fit.  Beds don't fit.  Yeah, you can adapt, but there are REASONs why most houses are rectilinear.  It is much easier to fit square(ish) things into square(ish) rooms.  Round things don't fit into a round hour, neither do square or rectangular ones.  Only curved things more or less custom made for that particular house truly work.

Personally, the idea of dome on top of a square house is an attractive one, however.  You might get the best of both worlds, if you can figure out how to do the load bearing correctly.  I've seen many fine examples of this in public buildings.  Il Duomo in Florence comes to mind.

- Mark

Vaults would probably be a place to start, the load bearing isn't as difficult to manage as it's only on one plane, the rooms still end up being square (or rectangular).

- Adam.

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    mjnmjn

September 2011
    Yes, vaults make much better sense to me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Tagged