Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
Call me boring but...
  • One of the trends that has been a part of the OSE for a long time is a sort of technological far-sightedness. If there is a problem the majority of suggestions come from the fringe of science and technology. This sort of enthusiasm is a wonderful thing, but it could be holding the movement back a bit. The high-tech suggestions provided are typically the most difficult solutions to implement, and even if they are implemented odds are good they won't be easy for the ordinary person to replicate. Much of what would benefit us the most is making minor changes to improve existing technologies, where we can benefit the most from the efforts of the engineers who came before us.

My suggestion: find existing mature technologies and identify what makes them unsuitable and try to fix those problems before we try to make some of the more exotic projects.

• 27 Comments sorted by
  • Who are you and what cloud did you float down from?....:) Very well put. Yes a system to do this in an organized fashion would be valuable.

The Dawg

• I'm sorry if I don't understand the last part of your comment... "...before we try to make some of the more exotic projects." are you suggesting that these projects are exotic ? ...I apologize if I read it the wrong way.

If I'm wrong please let me know...but I don't think the point was to be exotic...it is for anyone who can't afford the manufactured products.

While I do agree with Dawg...that a system to organize existing technologies and then scrutinize their useability is good...I'm not sure, how you get access to do that with patented products ? Maybe I read Dawg comment wrong too...but I think he was thinking of Open Source Hardware.

I actually think there needs to be more work done to develop more open source ideas...for example, and we could probably start a whole thread about this one but...

The hydraulic pistons that the tractor uses to lift...well as far as I have seen it was made by some company...people in the 3rd world can't just get online and order 2 hydraulic pistons... what if we put out plans...or at least design concepts on how to build a hydraulic piston. Just the the math, and the theory ... maybe something like this

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6722260.html

with more detail of course...that way people could build their own pistons, when they have gathered enough parts.

Fixing problems with existing technologies is great, but if you are fixing a problem with a patented product how does the open source community benefit ?

• @viper6277 I think you might be slightly underestimating the size and complexity of our industrial economy and just how many different things are actually necessary for anything remotely like our lifestyle.  For instance, to pick on one particular technology lets look at the idea of Machining.  Not only to you need the machine, but you have to have the actual tool (what is called the bit in a drill).  There are many different types of tools, and numerous sizes, and different materials...  and while you can simplify to a degree you will still probably want several dozen tools in order to make effective use of the machine.  Then you are going to need parallels and t-nuts and all of the other little bits a pieces that are used to hold the workpiece to the table.  And you are probably going to need to construct some specialized jigs eventually and those should be counted as part of the tool.  And you might need coolant if you are going to machine certain materials at any reasonable rate.  I'm not an experienced machinist so I'm probably leaving some things out, but just the machine tool could actually represent a hundred or more unique items, not to mention any of the specialized components that go into it...  and this is assuming you're using a CNC machine tool.  If you're going back to the old fashioned days of manual machining you're going to need rotary tables, and numerous jigs and fixtures, and exotic add-ons that let you cut a helix...  Its rapidly ballooning in complexity.

And so you've got a machine tool...  what about measuring things?  You're going to be dependent upon the industrial world to provide you with your standards of measure (such as weight, length, etc.) and even having their standards you're going to have to get dimensionally stable measuring tools.  This stuff gets expensive and complicated fast, with gauge pin sets representing hundreds of discrete items and CMM machines being made out of very high tech ceramics to insane tolerances.  This isn't stuff you can whip together in your back yard.  And the idea of eliminating specialization raises the question "Who is going to be able to perform the highly specialized work of calibrating these measuring tools?"  And this is only one small area of metal working.  What about Forging? Casting? Stamping?

So you think "That sounds like the sort of complication we should avoid...  simple tools are good enough".  In that case, I would encourage you to look into the history of modern manufacturing techniques.  Simple tools make the work astronomically more difficult and require more resource intensive work arounds.  And even some of the most basic goods of the modern world cannot be produced without these "complicated" tools and techniques.

Does that mean I don't think the goal is feasible?  Most certainly not!  I just think that we need to evolve the system from within.  There is an excellent passage in Kevin Carson's "The Homebrew Industrial Revolution" where he talks about the Japanese bicycle industry after WWII.  Initially all of the Bicycles in Japan had been imported from the United States, but being machines they did occasionally break down.  Thus a network of bicycle maintenance shops arose and gradually these repairmen began, of necessity, to produce their own replacement parts when the shipments from America were unreliable.  Eventually these individual bicycle repair shops formed networks that were capable of producing entirely new Japanese-made bicycles.

These Japanese people built a thriving bicycle manufacturing industry, not by casting aside the american bicycles, but by building ON the American bicycles.  What I am proposing is that we don't foolishly cast aside the entirety of generations of struggle and accomplishment and try to recreate it from scratch (on the misguided belief that we are so superior to our predecessors that we won't make their mistakes).  Instead we should leverage the industrial capacity we have in America and try to share it with the world, while gradually replacing the proprietary parts with the Open-Source parts.  It is a more certain path to success and it would be working with the flow of the world to make things better, rather than ineffectually raging against it all.  Its more efficient and more Zen (although usually the two do go together)

• I agree with aneiren. I can see three distinct big goals that people have here, and it shows up in their suggestions. (1) local production/resource based economy, (2) sustainability/green, and (3) resilience/independence.

They don't all necessarily align, in fact I would say they conflict in many ways. For example, sustainable generally means using less resources to do the same things, with minimal impact on the environment. Sometimes this aligns with local economics because sometimes using less makes economic sense. However, there are many over-the-top sustainability things (as far as economics is concerned), for example collecting plastic bottles and recycling them to do this or that. Yes they are free but the amount of labor it takes doesn't make economic sense. Or the $300 house. Sure you can build a structure for $300, but the amount of work coupled with the long-term value of such a structure makes no sense from a resource based economy perspective. The economic side wants large machines which build larger machines which can make 2 dozen houses and make the surrounding 100 acres productive. Not scrounging around for plastic bottles, mud, and bamboo. Resilience/independence side doesn't always make economic sense either. Do you really need to spend thousands and thousands on a solar system when you can already get power for 10 cents per kilowatt hour? And finally, the purely economic perspective might seek to exploit land and people that aren't in one's immediate area, have little regard for long term consequences (as long as they aren't directly related to you), and outsource anything that will save a dollar.

I think these things need to be reasonably balanced with each other. Especially the economic side as aneiren points out. If we can't make a profit, this entire exercise isn't feasible in a closed system. I like to think of what we're trying to do like things were back perhaps 100 - 200 years ago. You did a lot of things in small communities - fixed wagons, made hammers, produced food, etc. For slightly more intricate things, you had to go into town, like if you wanted a new pair of shoes (obviously shoes didn't come from thousands of miles away back then). Maybe you had to go into the city if you wanted something more fancy, like a suit.

The point is that we don't need to strive to build everything. We only need a basis of things that allows us to work and produce something of value as long as we desire to - irregardless of the money supply or global economy. To be able to be semi independent in this way doesn't require everything to be made from the ground up - if you have a good socket set, you won't be needing one again. You are free to produce from that point on with what you've got.

So you've got to think this way: what is blocking you from going outside, right now, and making something of value? It's not that you can't make your own microcontroller from plastic, because you can probably buy one right now. Its the big ticket items that take fuel and power and do something, and its the fuel and power itself. And when they break down, you've got to be able to fix them. Those are what we're working for.

• Aneiren & Jason-- good posts there.  I have had fun following everyone and seeing how different ideas and expectations play into what they expect of OSE.  Just the other day at work we were discussing how 25% of the product of the semiconducter gets scrapped because of pollutants smaller than human hairs.  The context of the conversation was about valves that need to have a surface finish less than 16 micros.  That is way beyond the average person or community, but necessary for any sort of modern tech.

• I agree very much with Aneiren, especially in regard to these two remarks:

<i>My suggestion: find existing mature technologies and identify what makes them unsuitable and try to fix those problems before we try to make some of the more exotic projects.</i>

<i>So you've got to think this way: what is blocking you from going outside, right now, and making something of value? It's not that you can't make your own microcontroller from plastic, because you can probably buy one right now. Its the big ticket items that take fuel and power and do something, and its the fuel and power itself. And when they break down, you've got to be able to fix them. Those are what we're working for.</i>

To the second one I would add, and emphasize, what I call "the middle falling out".  Centralization and other factors have caused many middle sized tools to become simply unavailable, or both scarce and extremely expensive.

Admittedly some of the urge behind, say, automated machine tools is to "make the tools to make the tools".  

So, as I see it you have:

1. Mid-sized and simply not available:  Threshing Machine
    2. Mid-sized and extremely/prohibitively expensive:  Small Combine, Rural broadband, Saw Mill (?)
    3. Widely available and not awfully expensive but disruptively revolutionary if cheaper: (Truly ubiquitous broadband? Cheap alt energy? Manufacturing tools which support local industry)
    4. Small, cheap, readily available, but candidates for local economy in the future:  Socket set, nuts and bolts, hydraulic cylinders...
    5. Exotic Tech:  Microproccessor printer, carbon nano-tubes, self-replicating machines  

(Which is a pretty flat way of looking at a multi-dimensional problem.  I wonder if anybody has put any serious effort into setting up categories which could be modeled in multiple dimensions rather than just along a line?)

In response to the second statement...   One common answer to that question might be:  "I don't know how."  or  "I am uncertain that I've thought of all the engineering aspects and don't want to invest time in re-inventing the wheel."

My bottom line opinion:

We shouldn't be afraid to duplicate the same result by different paths, to iterate to a goal.  

Aneiren's second line/question above should be set up as a wiki item or a sticky discussion topic, or some such and answered by as many people as possible as often as possible.

• To give credit where it is properly due, the second point was actually brought up by Jason.  I must say that the forums here have been refreshingly different from others I've dealt with in the past.  This feels much more like a genuinely collaborative experience, rather than a virtual shouting match.

Now for a moment, I would like to step back and look at the Grand Goal.  Why are we all motivated?  This is probably going to be somewhat philosophical, but hear me out...

Our fundamental goal, as human beings, is to live fulfilled lives.  We generally struggle because of a lack of basic necessities; arbitrary constraints inherited from history, religion, or culture; and disharmonies between the human world and the natural world beyond the human scale.  I'm certain there are probably other sources of conflict, but I see these as pretty big and obvious points.  In the Open Source Ecology we are attempting to solve the "basic necessities" problem directly, but I cannot help but think there is a hope that our works will inadvertently overcome the other problems.  This is a somewhat confrontational perspective, and I want to discuss this from a different tack.

Instead of looking at it from a Negative "defeat the problems" perspective, lets look at it in a proactive and positive "achieve these goals" way.  There has been discussion of Maslow's hierarchy of needs and becoming Self-Actualizing.  I would like to direct your attention to Manfred Max-Neef's "Fundamental Human Needs" theory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_human_needs).  On the page you will find a table which explains the various means of satisfying the various needs.

I think we should start from this table of needs and reassess what technology we actually need (actually satisfies one of the listed conditions) and try to interface that technology.  There are numerous components, and they have been fairly exhaustively developed by the capitalist economy, but what capitalism cannot or will not look to developing is the even larger technology...  The Community System.  Think of it this way...  an car is a collection of technologies, most of which had some pre-car predecessor.  Its an engine, brakes, transmission, wheels, etc...  but those individual technologies couldn't just be slapped together hodge-podge.  Taking those parts and putting them together into a system was a process that took many decades to really get right, and in the process the individual components were refined in ways that, if the part was considered in isolation, aren't necessarily obvious (or even improvements on the individual scale).  We are trying to build an even more complex machine, a whole community.  There are millions, billions, trillions of permutations and the complex interactions between the components of a community (even excluding the human variable) are formidable.

As a small example that has evolved pragmatically.  In certain areas of the world the villages have very carefully managed forests where a specific number of trees are cut down each year and no other trees may be cut down.  To the average american mind, this reeks of forestry totalitarianism (exaggerating only slightly).  The truth of the matter is that several hundred years ago the first energy crisis paralysed much of the world.  They were burning trees faster than the forests replaced them.  This is the real justification for such strict controls of the "King's Land' in the story of Robin Hood...  that tyranny was the first environmental policies (far from perfect admittedly).  This whole situation is a very interesting historical chain of energy crisis going from wood to coal to gas but beyond the scope of this particular discussion.  So these villages have a strict rationing policy to prevent their forests from ever entirely disappearing.  At first these policies were difficult to live with (but being hundreds of years old by now we don't hear about it so much) but over the course of history they have adapted and economized their use of timber so they can live within their means.  That was a relatively simple system using the natural cycle of a single type of commodity to harmonize the activities of the dependent industries.

So what do we need to do?  We need to treat human communities as systems (like cars), identify all of the components (engines, transmissions...) and the natural rules that govern those components (Thermodynamics, Mechanics...), and try to integrate and optimize those components so that they perform the Final Goal (satisfy needs) in the most efficient way, even if that means that some of the components aren't being used as efficiently.

I would really like to have a dialog on this idea, and if you don't understand please ask questions...  I feel as if I've done a terrible job explaining that.

• To add a small point, I think that a limiting factor in 'living a fulfilled life' is that people look for extrinsic definitions of value, rather than intrinsic.  If you have one car that works well, you are happy.  If you are surrounded by people with nicer cars that work better, you become unhappy.  If those cars are switched with poorer ones and you suddenly have the nicer car, you become happier.  What you had never changed, but in your mind you fluctuated from happy/unconcerned to poor to rich, without anything changing but your environment.  

The idea of treating human communities as systems (I agree with it) reminds me of Asimov's Foundation Series.

• Reading those sorts of books we probably a formative experience we share.

The whole OSE idea is entirely dependent on extrinsic sources of value. It is only one of many ideas inadvertently imported from mainstream society. This idea and many others need to be reexamined and the system needs to be adjusted to incorporate the changes.

It makes me wonder how many people understand and fully appreciate the fact that technology (particularly abstraction layers) embody and impose the designer's philosophical ideas in the real world. In some systems (like subways and airports) the designer can elicit specific responses and cause seemingly independent agents to all behave in the same way. While there are usually good reasons for this sort of manipulation, like making evacuations easier, they are stand alone systems that don't necessarily integrate and if done wrong can cause terrible consequences.

We are going to be developing the same sorts of technology, so perhaps we should try to make sure the assumptions and logic of the devices is consistent throughout the community?

• Sorry about the mis-attribution.  I have ongoing technical problems with using the site which contributed, but in the  end it was user error.

For my own part, I don't have much interest in a "Grand Goal" or in engineering human communities.  Removing roadblocks to individual participation according to individual interests and abilities is more in my line. There are outcomes I hope for, (lower but more even population densities, better use of local resources, decentralized and diverse economy/political power/etc./everything) but I'm very hesitant to try to engineer any human system.  Furthermore, I fear very much that trying to do so represents a quagmire.  I've been involved in a few of these things in a business context and my experience has been that comprehensive approaches only work up to a certain relatiely small scale past which point they collapse of their own weight.  I once worked on a project to map all of the inputs and outputs (data,money,materials) for a small company of about 100 employees.  We got it close to done, but it took enourmous resource expenditure, and was very nearly obsolete before it was completed. The "policy phase" was a complete failure in part due to the sheer complexity of the interactions and the difficulties in staying ahead of a fluid situation.  We made much better progress by going to individuals and asking "what keeps you from getting your job done" then looking at non-conflicting ways of solving those problems then repeating the process.
     FWIW

This also might be a good place for me to put in a plug for emergent and self-organzing behaviour....

So, again, let me repeat that I very much support Jason's (properly attributed this time) remark:

So you've got to think this way: what is blocking you from going outside, right now, and making something of value?

• I agree entirely that tools shape the actions, abilities and ideas of their users.  There is the classic adage, "If you have a really nice hammer, then you assume most problems can be solved by a hammer."  This is true in all areas media ecologists are quick to point out that not only is communication itself is shaped by the tools (text, chat, blog, book, face-to-face, etc) but those tools actually shape the thoughts.  Unfortunately, there is no provable connection between 'thought-communication-mediums' and success.

The value of OSE, here returning closer to the original idea expressed, is the fact that it does not presently move too far from the status quo.  However, by equipping people with tools to increase free time, and independence, the hope is that they will use that to think (and act upon) new thoughts.  The most suitable way of doing this soon is by taking familiar things and putting them into people's hands.

I recently developed a project that takes a mature technology and creates a DIY version, which I will now open source:
    If you need to stir a can of paint, but have no paint stirrer, try a stick; also a rigid pancake-turner/spatula is a great way to spread plaster.

• I know what you mean about it being complex. The metaphor used all of the time is "herding cats". But at the same time you can't rely on emergence creating the ideal outcome. Basically, you can't herd cats so you are forced to choose between having furniture that isn't destroyed or getting rid of the cats, only in the bigger situation the cats are people and the furniture is the environment.

The whole free market idea is one of emergence, and capitalism can be credited with most environmental damage.

• I think that with enough people with sticks and maybe some others with bags of catnip, something similar to herding cats could accomplished.

• !!?  Truly frightening.

I sincerely hope you're both joking.

• Only partially joking, I have given it additional thought and I think fire might be a useful herding tool also.  I suppose most of this particular discussion would rely upon defining 'herding'.

• suburban sprawl is capitalism's greatest achievement.

• I've given some thought in recent years to how the society that I nominally live in shapes my wants, desires, etc.  To a certain degree, we (my wife and I) are attempting to re-define what it means to be well off.  To start with, we reject acquisitive definitions tied to money, spacious homes, fancy cars, etc.  Instead, our definition is focused on reliable access to the things that really matter:  food, water, and clean air.  To that we add privacy, good friends, a supportive community, and access to information/knowledge/education.

To some extent, "access" is equated to having enough money to buy things.  While I do make a decent living slinging bits around, I am concerned about the trends in food production in our country and the rest of the world.  As such, my wife and I are working towards being food sufficient, while also trying to avoid subsistence farming.  Some of that comes from permaculture ideas like food forests, perennial vegetable gardens, etc.  Some of it means developing the infrastructure and tools that simplify food production (discerning people will see how OSE might fit into that picture).

Food is just the start, however.  Energy independence is a bit further down the road, but in our plans.  Again, I have high hopes that some of the GVCS projects can be personally applied.

The point I'm wandering about here is that we all have the power to define what happiness means to us.  We can choose to ignore marketing attempts, propaganda, and the pressures of a capitalist society (to some extent).  It does take a certain amount of courage, though.  To most people (especially city folks), I'm just a hick grubbing in the dirt in the back woods of New York living in a 50 year old single wide trailer and driving a pick-up truck (ok, I admit that my other car is a Hyundai).  When people (especially colleagues) hint that I might be a bit crazy, I just laugh.  They don't know the wonder of gazing at a star-filled sky in a country night.  They won't smell the lilacs as they bloom.  They might taste a really good tomato, but they will pay six times as much for it as I do.

• While I agree that a perfect definition of happiness for all people is impossible, a close approximation is easily achievable.  I see the world and the people in it eager to swing dramatically from one extreme to the other, but unwilling to settle in a middle state.  I disapprove of the capitalist economy for the distribution of products and services, but the distribution of commodities (which have certain properties that distinguish them from other product) works best within a free market.  That is assuming however that capitalism is really just acting as an interface between a series of semi-autonomous local economies.  In that scenario capitalism doesn't really need to worry about as many environmental issues because the local economies involved harvest, transport, and use the commodities in an environmentally conscious way.  The point is that there are possible solutions that exist between the established positions.

Going back to the way things were isn't one of those possible solutions.  Has anyone ever looked at a population graph?  If we wanted to be able to live like we did in 1900 we would have had to kill 2/3 of the human population to get back to where we were.  A lot of the inefficiencies in today's world is actually a desperate effort to prevent forward progress.  In a world with 6, 7, or 8 billion people it becomes irresponsible to build a house on the little remaining arable land.  And while humanity doesn't need to be trapped in giant cities, the prospect of everyone moving to little communities of only 200 people is absurd.  This individual estimates 12,000,000 square miles of arable land (http://pages.prodigy.net/jhonig/bignum/qland2.html) and 6 billion people would fit into 30 million communities of 200 which means that each square mile would have two and a half communities on it.  And thats assuming a uniform distribution of the human population without leaving any space for animals or natural habitats.  Unfortunately commodities are not distributed even remotely evenly, so pure and unregulated free market trade would ultimately cause certain communities to become permanently indebted to other communities due to intrinsic trade imbalances.

The people who encouraged our current system didn't know these things, and indeed they couldn't.  But the computer allows us to see this information and process it.  However, no amount of honest processing will produce a positive scenario that doesn't require drastic population decreases, drastic reductions of the consumption of resources (including space, as in very little privacy), or the sci-fi answer of colonizing another planet and unloading excess population there.  The only really ethical route is the path of deprivation, where we willingly consume less resources, demand less space and privacy, and move towards a more communal lifestyle.  Unfortunately Americans (including many involved in this project) are stubbornly individualistic and unwilling to compromise their "God Given RIghts" to sprawl out and consume.  Even the primativist lifestyle depends on access to several square miles of forest to support an individual.

I would love someone to point out an alternative.

• Well aneiren, yes, the same constraints of food production apply: whether a post-green-revolution factory farm that is destructive to the environment, or mom&pop organic endeavor that is more friendly but much less productive, you need hectares upon hectares of fertile land.  The same will be true of OSE farming at first.  But projecting out into a (near) future scenario, the emergent solution to the population problem could be the bootstrapped OSE technology stack giving way to hydroponics, vertical farming, ocean farming, and other more flexible food-production modes.  While these may still be somewhat exotic for OSE to tackle right now, they are economically viable and could be a part of the GVCS 500 if not the GVCS 250.  Include a few more exotics into the equation, and you could envision an partially/fully automated hydroponic farm-in-a-box (with it's own power generation facilities from solar and wind) that basically just spits out produce.  We learn enough from the GVCS 50 to expand to the exotics down the line.

• I would hope that would ultimately happen, but as it stands those technologies violate the "simplicity" clause of the OSE's guiding documents.

• There is no arguing with 6 billion people, so clearly there are challenges to scaling up the OSE model.  Still, one thing at a time.  There is a lot to be learned in building a local economy for 200 people  Both the Venus Project and Solari's Arcosancti project had population density in mind. Both are thinking about how to integrate local production of food, tools, and goods on a local scale - yet with much higher population densities.

• Using the GVCS, I am pretty sure I could support a community of 200 in a 5 level parking deck, though with less space than the average suburbanite is accustomed to having.

• @aneiren 

I first want to say that your June 2nd post gave me more insight into what you were trying to make a point of in the original post ..:

"My suggestion: find existing mature technologies and identify what makes

them unsuitable and try to fix those problems before we try to make
    some of the more exotic projects."

I understand better now...and in the grand scheme of things, as you described (June 4th)...then yes I totally agree.. I also agree that spreading out into 200 people communities is probably not feasible ...( where would we keep all the animals )

I must say this however, while I believe your intentions are great, ( in the discussion of our needs as people, and the systems put in place to manufacture resources, and transport them, our energy needs, and environmental issues ) Maybe my idea of the purpose of the GVCS maybe different from yours... I have been looking at this project...as more of a short term solution (50-100 years) ...where by as a community of engineers we could provide the rest of the world with a standard model of tools, by which they can use to help themselves.

Is it not better to provide people with the the means to help themselves then to consistently provide aid ?

I see people in a far away land, building and then using the tools to provide for their growing village / town...instead of the modern countries constantly sending them food, water and shelter. That is my short term idea of the implementation of the GVCS.

Now on a "Grand Scale"....yes...we can look at the systems that are in place, by which our societies operate and keep us, fed, and housed, and in good social standing. But as you stated in your June 2nd post...it is "philosophical"...

I do understand you better though, and for the most part, I agree...you brought up a good point (June 4th) ... "the sci-fi answer of colonizing another planet and unloading excess population there"

Is that not the path we are on ? ...searching for and finding ice on mars was all about making it a habitable place, making fuel for the return mission, water and oxygen to build an outpost. ( http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2002/28may_marsice/ )

I do believe our future is in space, and not just because we are running out of space here...but for the survival of our species.

Here is a scenario for you... a year from now telescopes spot an asteroid which will strike the earth in 100 years...with no doubt, killing everything...so what will happen the next day...the financial systems will collapse, and everyone will be set in a panic. But after the the reality sets in,... will it not be the cause of every living human being to devote every waking second to building space ships to get the hell out of dodge. I think so.

I think the alternative is space, no doubt in my mind about that, that is not to say, we cannot live on the planet in a system that is more environmentally friendly, where we consume less resource as a people.

We can all hope that one day energy will not be a problem, maybe this ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_European_Torus ) will solve the worlds energy needs one day, ....harmful CO2 emissions will be a thing of the past, and economies will be based on the research of getting more people to space.

@mjn

A quick look at this "200 people village"....are we talking about 50 families ? ...2 Parents, 2 kids (no pets)...or are we talking about 200 adults ? ...in 20 years 200 adults could potentially make 300 babies ...give or take...now your village is looking like a small town !... another 20 years and you are at double that...1000 or so people. Lot of mouths to feed, soon enough !...

It's almost 1 am, and as tired as my eyes are...it is still exciting to read all your posts...great stuff guys.

• As I mentioned elsewhere, if we were to break up the present population into communities of 200 and give them arable land, each community would have 27 acres.  If every community were to be careful to never grow beyond 1000, that would have only reduced the acres/200 to 5.4, which is enough to support a population.

We are not even close to planetary colonization, no one has even walked on another planet, going to the moon is prohibitively expensive and we have difficulty maintaining the space station.  The final frontier is too far away to be considered a viable solution to any present problems.

• Yes I agree we are not at the point of planetary colonization, but the tools that will need to be developed and the skills that will be needed are highly specialized. If the OSE were widely adopted, could the resulting society put a man on the moon? Technological know-how does gradually disappear if not used and I worry that the OSE as a short term solution could prevent us from being able to create a long term solution. In other words, if we don't start by thinking in deep time, why would out children not emulate our pragmatic short term perspective? Do as we say, not as we did? Gasoline use was a short term pragmatic solution, but once the problem was "fixed" nobody wanted to do any more work. It takes a crisis to force us to change, and then you're letting the problem control you, rather than controlling the problem.

• Fair point.

• "Technological know-how does gradually disappear if not used and I worry
    that the OSE as a short term solution could prevent us from being able
    to create a long term solution."

A good bit
    of expertise used in say, the Apollo Project is already gone.  The
    problem you mention is already happening, so I doubt the OSE will do
    much to cause more trouble.  Some of it can be preserved, but you'll
    either have to wait, or spend effort on other projects to make sure that
    the expertise is preserved.

As far as this goes with the OSE, I
    wouldn't worry the OSE community over it.  There are projects to build
    open source rocket engines and such, and they have funding.  Let them
    work on the rockets, and make sure we can provide the mills, lathes,
    forklifts, and other items needed to build the rockets, or build the
    underlying infrastructure.

OSE, I'd imagine, should be able to
    take a community to, and keep it at, a 50s or 60s level of technology. 
    Other efforts like my fabber would take us beyond that.  Specialized
    goals, like building a rocket to go to the moon, and the "solar village
    construction set" to build a community there, would be on that next
    level.  Star trekkin' ships would be beyond even that. :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion