Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
its that time of the year... OS A/C?
  • since its 100 degrees these days, i was wondering if air conditioning is headed for the gvcs?

on some of the geothermal stuff ive been looking at they use phase change to get power from lower heat sources. wondered if maybe it would be possible to design something that could be used in both systems? seems like they might be too different.

• 7 Comments sorted by
  • Vacuum pumps and refrigerant compressors go hand in hand. I think an OS vacuum pump is a worthwhile endeavor, and add AC to the mix while you're at it. That's if you're doing the standard refrigeration by compressing a refrigerant into a liquid then letting it cool to a gas. There are many other innovative ways to cool things of course, even if they can't necessarily freeze stuff.

• I know there has been another discussion about this and there was quite a bit of discussion on the idea.  I think an integration of passive cooling techniques would be better than anything else, then again, I live in Ohio (even though my area averages high humidity, we tend to hang in the 90s) and have survived without AC.

As I asserted in the other discussion, AC would be great as a GVCS-companion project, but not as a GVCS-primary project.

• Passive cooling techniques such as ground pipes and earth sheltered and thermally massive structures are perfectly capable of creating comfortable living spaces.

There's no reason to build boxes that require air conditioning, when a little more effort and thought allows us to create passively comfortable structures.

I would be VERY into helping design and build such a structure, this stuff has fascinated me for years.

• David: why not start one now?  FeF is planning on making some housing soon.  Produce a design or part of one like the cooling system for the housing.

BTW, the main problem with passive techniques is that it hard to remove latent heat, unless it it seasonal heat (cold) storage.  I've checked into this in detail.

• Totally agree with DavidIAm .... build a great structure, and cooling may not be a concern.

There are some good ideas on "Ice Cooling" systems...here's a good read

http://www.buildinggreen.com/live/index.cfm/2009/7/4/Making-ice-at-night-to-cool-buildings

• I recall seeing several useful techniques applied in the Middle East, one involves a tower that catches wind and then blows it underground to cool then into a house.  The other involves a large black chimney that and a nearby cellar.  The black chimney heats up and begins pulling air, the air comes from the outside, into the cellar (where evaporative cooling occurs), through the house and then out the chimney.  Even something as simple as building the house a few feet into the ground will keep it cooler.

• Gregor - I'll collect topographic information when I visit the FEF site in the next week or two.  Its only a few miles from where I'm living.  Topography is important in housing design.  The house needs to fit the terrain constraints.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Tagged