Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
Missing Tool: Rural/Remote Broadband
  •   I'm struggling with developing an understanding of OSE because of the difficulties of using this web site over a 56K modem.  I'm typing this "off line"  and pasting it into the text box because the scripting involved allows me to type about 1 character per second into the box itself.  This problem is recurring both with this site and many others. (don't even think about java models or video)

It seems to me that, given the focus of the tools set described, I can't be alone.  So, while I realize electronics are a pretty fancy technology, the components are readily available from the usual industrial economy.  Maybe a "stepping stone" tool could be designed.

I'm imagining an open source circuit diagram, source list, and step by step instructions for the novice to construct the device, or perhaps a "
    heathkit" type kit prepared and sold by those who have the skills to get us closer to the end product. 

My goal:  Ubiquitous, cheap, broadband for remote and rural areas.

Here's the quick spec for my imaginary (and probably impossible) optimum device:

• 900 mhz to penetrate foliage? (perhaps dual radio design with 900mhz "back haul" and 802.11 local distribution)
    • ~1000 feet range
    • Very low power consumption
    • Over the counter rechargeable batteries (NiMH Ds?)
    • Fold out solar panel to extend battery life
    • True broadband speeds, (10-30 Mbps?)
    • Auto configuring mesh routing
    • Ability for the mesh to use multiple POPS (?) or backhauls (?)  What I mean is redundant connections to the rest of the internet working in parallel.
    • Serves as both access point for end use and as repeater for mesh
    • Very little loss of speed when repeating
    • Built in Omni antenna with a port for installing a directional
    • Readily available cheap directional antennas
    • Weather proof
    • Reserve battery and beacon feature (so you can find one with dead batteries)
    • Security/encryption for transiting traffic (so the neighbors aren't reading your email with a sniffer, even though the mesh is intentionally open.)
    • Minimum of 2 ethernet ports for wired up or downstream traffic (doesn't need hub and subscriber units, all units do it all)
    • Case designed for cable tying, screwing, or nailing to existing structures.
    • Price:  Under $100, better yet under $50.

• 19 Comments sorted by
  • I think the issue would not be the hardware, but the provider.  All the same, the accessibility of OSE to different tech levels is something to provoke thought.

• @John

As someone who was in your position, I've done plenty of research in this area. While I don't think it makes sense to try and "open source" a wireless design, in fact its not legal to build your own wireless hardware unless you have an amateur radio license, we can put together information on what it takes to get a low-cost off-the-shelf system together.

So let me basically tell you the path you need to follow. First, the radio technology you want to use is wifi. Even for 900 MHz, wifi is commonly used as the protocol/modulation scheme.

If you've got line-of-sight to either your plug in point or to a hop point, you've pretty much got a high chance you can establish a link. Just get a pair of Ubiquiti Nanobridges (5 GHz is best) and you can go perhaps 20 km. These nanobridges can be configured to be access points or stations, and they can be set to be either bridges or switches on the ethernet side, I believe (maybe even a router). The Nanobridge has the radio, antenna, and processor integrated into one low-cost package. There are other options. You could use a Ubiquiti Bullet M5 with an external high-gain antenna for additional range and versatility. The bullet has the radio and processor integrated into one. The cheapest integrated solution would probably be a Ubiquiti LocoM2. You can mix and match these. Perhaps a 5.8 GHz link as the main link, then a small 2.4 GHz hop to get it to your house.

You could also get one of many router boards and supply your own mini pci radio(s) and antenna(s), for maximum performance. Router boards are powerful embedded processing boards which can act as routers, hold one or more high performance mini-pci radio cards, and can even be used for very high bandwidth applications. Oh yea, and you can put in 5 GHz radio cards, 2.4 GHz radio cards, 900 MHz radio cards, 700 MHz radio cards (where legal), etc, with a router board.

When doing your research on your wireless link, you'll need to know some keywords to help you  find what you're looking for. You'll be using WISP hardware, and might need to consult WISP forums. And you're trying to create a backhaul. So in you're case you'd try to figure out how to do a nlos backhaul. You might need to build a tower.

In conclusion, what I'm telling you is that you're basically limited to where you're allowed to place your antennas, and how you're going to plug into the other side. In my own experiences, finding a place to plug in is the most difficult. Somebody is just going to let you plug into their house. You can plug in to your local gas station or bank. It's a difficult problem. The hardware isn't though - we've got cheap hardware that can go long distances.

One thing the OSE could manufacture however is antennas. Making feed points with the laser cutter would be pretty cool. Hope this helps. We should capture it in the wiki.

•  Mr. Haynes:

Tell me more about that.  Why do you think the problem is more provider than hardware?  I'm not saying you're wrong, but that is not at all consistent with what I've learned in my inquiries.

Perhaps my own case could be used as an example, though it is far from unique.

I live in a small twisting river valley with a road on each river bank.  The sides of the valley are reasonably steep and, for the most part heavily wooded.  The area is what I call "deep suburbs" -- lot sizes from 1 to 200 acres with most in the 30-40 acre range.  Due to the terrain most line of sight is under 1000' and usually partially or entirely obstructed by heavy foliage. There are about 30 families living on the valley floor and the lower slopes.  There is no broadband in the valley, though the ridge tops are served -- here and there, by both DSL and Cable.

Both local providers are entirely willing to provide service to addresses on the ridge tops where they already have presence but are unable to justify the very high cost of coming down into the valley for just 20-30 subscribers.  Some of the people on the valley floor actually own land which extends to broadband served addresses but their houses are several thousand feet from those points.

As I see it, there is no impediment to provision of service, the providers are willing.  The problem is distribution hardware.  I've looked into copper, fiber, and wimax.  All are prohibitively expensive under the circumstances.

A device such as I describe could be installed in manageable increments of cost and effort, and could be scaled up over time.  These devices could be nailed to trees, cable tied to fences, or hung on the sides of barns extending the service from on or more points where broadband is available -- in my case a couple of dozen points on the ridge tops plus one at each end of the valley -- to the area where it isn't. 

What am I missing?  

• John,

It sounds to me like the problem isn't hardware.....these types of wireless installations are done all the time. It sounds to me like you're just waiting for some entrepreneur to come and set up a wisp. Or maybe someone has already set one up? Try searching your area with the WISP locators.
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,17250181
    http://www.wisptech.com/index.php/Canopy_WISP_Locater

•   Jason,

Thanks very much for your suggestions but I find your comments very discouraging.

I've done a lot of research into most of what you mention (though not the mini-pci radio cards, that is interesting).  Maybe we have different ideas of what "cheap hardware that can go long distances" means.  I got a quote for the necessary gear to serve 5 families and it ran in the neighborhood of $14,000 without non-electronic hardware and assumed that a single base transmitter would have line of site to all 5 (no way...) .  In extrapolating from that information I figured something like $4000/household.

A standard and documented assembly of off-the-shelf parts is an interesting idea, maybe there's something there.

• @John

I went back and underlined my links (they've difficult to see when you just create a link because it doesn't automatically underline them). If you click on the links, you'll see that most hardware I've linked to is under $100. For example, the Nanobridges with 20 km range are $80 each. That's $160 for a 20 km point to point link.

The LocoM2 nanostations are only $49 each, and they're supposed to have a 15 km range.

•  
     Electronic communication is tricky.  I'm not trying to be difficult here, but how does your most recent statement differ from: 

Your problem isn't hardware, people buy tractors all the time. Maybe you're just waiting for some entrepreneur to come and set up a tractor dealership (machine tool supplier/wind turbine manufacturer/CNC Mill manufacturer).  They're everywhere, have you checked to see if there's one in your area?

It is a hardware problem in the sense that no provider can serve this area because equipiment cost is too high to justify the service.  This is the same reason big combine manufacturers don't make little combines any more.  Not enough purchasers to pay for the production costs.  In my view this is one of the key problems OSE is meant to solve, but maybe I'm off track there?

• John, I think we posted at the same time. See above.

• I think there is an interesting question here - what is the ACTUAL VALUE of broadband?

When I gave it some thought, I realized that *to me* fast and reliable broadband in a rural rent/mortgage free location is worth around 20K/year.  At which rate you can get almost any broadband you want anywhere you want.

When the actual amount of money required for survival is down by 10-20K/year, I realize that I could justify spending one heck of alot of money dollars on getting fast and reliable broadband.  Admittedly, *I* have an absurdly high value on broadband because it enables my telecommuting, but all you need is to make a deal like that.  What you have (riverside land, trees) is cheaper than what you don't (a broadband connection), and it IS valuable to somebody.  So post this in the urban paper:

---
    Dear Telecommuter,

Tired of the city?  Come live in our river valley.  We have prepared a snug cabin with a river view and several acres of fertile bottom land you may farm.  All we ask in exchange is that you run a high speed broadband line to your cabin, enabling us to have broadband too.  Expected outlay estimated between 20 and 30 thousand dollars.

Sincerely,

River valley denisens.
    ---

The question just comes down to 'is not having somebody living there more valuable than the collective value of having broadband to our houses'?

I say that broadband IS valuable, so if the local capitalist exploiters (telco, cable) people don't think its profitable, form a coop and put it in yourself.  If necessary, trade what you DO have for what you don't (like trading land/house for broadband).  Because its worth it, to you, to your children, and to the future quality of life for everybody who lives in the range of the coop's influence.

In a nutshell, if broadband is not valuable enough to the residents of the area to justify its installation, you can increase the value of the broadband to the residents of the area by adding residents like me who have absurdly high value on broadband.  Then the value is high enough and the capital outlay will be fulfilled.

• @Jason, I'm responding upon getting home from work, so I see a lot of activity has occurred.  I wrote under an assumption that had me responding to an issue that you appear not to have.  My assumption was that the need was how to get online without anything at all, in which case the issue would be a provider.  You seem to have providers... nearly close enough to count.

I know we have internet through our phone lines that far surpasses 56k, but I suppose that also is not a help.

• @Jason, I have changed our CSS to have all in-message links underlined.

• Thanks elifarley.

Everyone -

I hope I've demonstrated low-cost hardware for getting broadband point-to-point links set up. It only costs a couple hundred bucks to do it. Let me know if any of you have questions.

• I, predictably, am not entirely convinced.  I am, slowly of course, working my way through the links you provided and I thank you for them.  The nano bridge is very interesting but seems to be only available in high frequencies which are almost certain to need clear line of sight without foliage cover.  The XAGYL FLR9G30 is promising, but not yet available and is only the card.  The RouterBoard products don't seem to have any low frequency devices....

But, perhaps I will eventually find a combination of parts which can be modified and assembled into something like the necessary tool, more or less as I described above.  But, it looks like it will be a one-off, possibly sub-optimal, device which will be unavailable and unrepeatable for others. 

I can't understand the attitude, but perhaps the trouble is that I have over-estimated the size of the problem I'm trying to solve.  I had believed that this problem would be a very common one among those living in deep suburban, rural, and remote areas and that there would be a large overlap between people in those areas and those interested in, for example, building or buying low cost - high reliabity construction and agricultural equipment. 

Maybe I'm just plain wrong about that.  I'll drop this for now since I have, and had, no intention of asking the community at large to solve my particular problem.  I had, rather, believed that the problem was widespread and that by initiating discussion I could play some small part in solving it.

Thanks for your input. 

• @John, no need to go and give up like that.  It is possible (and I dare suggest probable) that the majority of participants are urbanites and suburbanites or members of networked rural communities.  I might assert that it is better to look at this situation as you being the first and therefore in a position to help future backwoods-ers.  Collect info, find a solution, make a wiki.

• Let me make a few points here. First, I see the amount of documentation we need to generate for the GVCS as about equal to one small book for each machine, which contains all the details and knowlege in it. I can also see 'projects' which are not actual machines but simply compilations of methods and industry knowledge. I think this particular topic/problem is a very important one which needs to be solved and documented. Long range wireless communications using low cost hardware needs to be opened up to the general public.

Second, one of OSE's goals is local scale communities, production, and independence. Local networks are going to be an important part of this. We need a network independent of the internet. Perhaps over a period of time after it becomes large enough, it could for a second, distributed, internet.

Third, your solution isn't going to be a one-off. While I've focused on 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz for reasons I will state, there are 900 MHz and lower radio cards available. As an example, UBNT has 900 MHz, 700 MHz, and even 400 MHz radios available (note: only 900 MHz is legal for most areas). Just slap one in a routerboard and get a 900 MHz antenna. However, you aren't limited to them. I highly encourage you to start your search for hardware suppliers here, which includes radios, antennas, and cables.

Here are some drawbacks of using 900 MHz however:
    * The small allocated unlicensed bandwidth creates a couple problems. First, interference is an issue. 900 MHz signals can travel through buildings, trees, around geographical features, etc. So if you've got someone in any proximity to you, they might interfere with you. And you can't always just switch to another channel, because there are so few. Baby monitors, etc, also cause these problems.
    * The smaller bandwidth also means lower data rates. You can't have 20 MHz channels.
    * NLOS links are not optimal. They are much more likely to have spotty performance, and it can change over time with the seasons and weather conditions.
    * You'll need larger antennas.
    * 900 MHz signals can't necessarily go as far. Yes there is less 'pathloss', however, contrary to what may seem obvious, you can get longer range communications out of higher frequencies. The reason for that is, while the pathloss may increase by 6 dB, the same sized antennas will have 6 dB more gain on each end. This results in a net additional 6 dB in your link budget. So a high frequency point to point link will perform better than a lower frequency one (ie, use 5.8 GHz for point to point links). You can make 900 MHz go far with big antennas of course.
    * There is an added benefit of using high-frequencies and highly directional antennas. You are less likely to get any interference because you are essentially transmitting and receiving with 'pencil beams'. A highly directional antenna will not pick up interference unless it is directly within the pencil beam. Also, people will be physically unable to snoop on your link if you've got tight beams. This is why it is beneficial to use high gain antennas and turn down your radio's power even for shorter links - less interference, more security. It also allows a much higher density of wireless links in a neighborhood because everything isn't going everywhere.
    * 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz is standard! Point your high gain antennas at various targets to get free wifi at a distance :)

I do understand that it may not be possible to get a line of sight connection. All I'm saying is, for the reasons I listed above, it is worth putting some extra effort in to make it happen. Perhaps a 20, 30, or 40 ft tower is is doable. Perhaps 2 or 3 hops might be feasible.

Here are some good resources you can use to do a site-survey and plan out your link:
    http://www.ligowave.com/linkcalc/
    http://www.cplus.org/rmw/english1.html

Though going back and noticing you mention 1000 ft of range, perhaps everything I'm saying is overkill? :)

Finally, I'd highly recommend you thoroughly document everything you're doing. Your problem, path of education and resources to arrive at what solution works, designing the system, acquiring the hardware, implementing it, and reporting back performance and success. This is all important and valuable information.

By the way, just so you can see some 900 MHz gear for sale:
    http://www.wlanparts.com/product/NBM9/NanoBridge-M-900MHz-Outdoor-MIMO-900MHz-with-Offset-Dish.html
    http://www.wlanparts.com/product/XR9/Ubiquiti-XR9-XtremeRange9-900MHz-Mini-PCI-Radio.html
    http://www.wlanparts.com/c=Gb1ujf98ie1oMuHOeCmSWZ35k/category/wlan.antennas_900mhz/

• As a partially related note, has anyone looked at the telecommunications satellite the amateur radio club in the US put up? Apparently you can piggyback hobby satellites up when they send commercial satellites. They use ballast to balance the rockets and then throw the ballast away in space when they're done with it. If you build a hobby satellite and ask nicely they may take it and after testing it to make sure it won't threaten the actual payload they will launch it for you. Its kinda like flying standby.

It tangentially related and perhaps interesting... a future project even? It would make for great publicity and probably boost funding for the OSE.

• That sounds pretty cool-- few people can put 'rocket science' under the hobbies heading on surveys.

• In the realm of just-plain-reliable, hardwired data communications are rather difficult to beat.  Has anybody considered that the cost of creating, say, multimode fiber and repeaters is worth the high bandwidth, reliable result?  At the very least, a copper-wire phone system provides a level of technology that is trivial to create without sophisticated tools, and cannot only be used for voice communications but reasonably high speed data communications.  Starting with wireless is... tricksy comparatively.  Is hardwire really such a bad option?

• I do agree, most people that have difficulty getting wireless, probably have difficulty getting computers that benefit from it.  

Also, note this.  I think the speeds referenced surpass that of the ancient 56k noisemaking modems.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Tagged