Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
Gaelan Brown: offering my open-source findings about Compost-based energy systems
  • Gaelan Brown wrote:

Hello Marcin and team, I've been following your work for some time and would like to share the findings of an open-source R&D project I've been leading for the past few years. www.CompostPower.org is an open source non profit research network of people experimenting with compost-based energy systems. I've been teaching classes on this at www.Yestermorrow.org for a few years and we have a 3 year demonstration project underway at the University of Vermont in which the hot water extracted from the compost power system is heating radiant floor loops in a winterized greenhouse on campus. 

I would love to help you get this info out to your network. We've shown this to be economically viable. The value of the compost after the 8-12 month heating cycle ends is almost always higher than the cost of building the system in the first place. We're getting 10,000+ btu/hr and 120-140 degree water 24/7 from these systems, even in the dead of winter in the northeast US. We've helped with successful projects in VT/NH/MA/NY. 

Check out these two videos that show the construction process and the performance of a system in Vermont at a perma-culture research farm. 

Time-lapse of construction of a system that is heating radiant floor loops in a winterized greenhouse in Vermont. This project is the same approach we're taking at a 3 year demonstration project at the University of Vermont.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Islq12nPMQ&feature=share&list=FLt8CmN2GCBUNimbOjg1XzPw

Video of 140 degree water heating an outdoor hot tub this winter in Vermont: http://youtu.be/Z3Z003uBn9Q

The Design Guide on our website walks through the basic approach to guide DIY. 

Let me know if you'd like to discuss. 

Cheers
    GB, co-founder www.CompostPower.org

• 1 Comment sorted by
  • Open Source DIY enthusiasts: compostpower.org exists to encourage and facilitate open source research. Email me at gaelanb@gmail.com with any questions after you review our Design Guide and the videos above. It works! Cheers
    GB

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion