Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
Open source press brake
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    MetzMetz

October 2012
    I am in need of a press brake for my stoves so I am working on a design. It is like the large Hyundai press brake next door in that I can bend square tubes and open on the sides unlike the usual shop press conversions.

Specs are 50 ton manual bottle jack, 24 inch length with changeable V blade to make box bends in steel plate.

Target is bending more than 90 degrees with a consistent radius not too sharp but not too round either.

I would like to bend at least 6mm plate with it.

Materials are 2 sheets 5mm plate, high strength bolts, 50 ton bottle jack, hardened steel bending tooling fabricated at the tool and die shop up the street.

The design will be a C clamp shape with 2 arms. I will cut that part on the CNC. Each arm will have 3 layers of 5mm plate with the arms separated 1-.1.5 feet and cross braced.

It will have minimum of total 15mm x 12 inches thick steel plate total to carry the load at all parts of the C clamp shape. Basically it is a giant c clamp with a press brake blade in it.

The projected build cost is about $350-400 dollars including powder coat.

• 4 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    MetzMetz

October 2012

my idea is similar to this except steel plate and a narrower blade for bending

Attachments
    sta60007dp1.jpg 175K
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    MetzMetz

October 2012

Here is a side view.  the black circles are bolt holes for the laminated steel plate.  3 layers 5mm steel plate bolted together similar to a master lock.

Total of 2 pieces cross braced, cross braces attached at the bolts.  No welding in this design.

Attachments
    prototype-press-brake.jpg 31K
    prototype-press-brake1.jpg 32K
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    MetzMetz

October 2012
    here is a better drawing. 

Attachments
    prototype press brake 1.pdf 320K
    press brake 1.dxf 899K
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    MetzMetz

October 2012
    Here is the specs for the dies.  got the cost quote back from my tool and die place.  Almost 280USD.  I speced it with tool steel.  I am wondering if I can get by with case hardened mild steel, or buying a pre-made chinese die. 

Attachments
    press brake die specs.pdf 618K

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion