Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
History of Factor e Farm?
  • Vote Up0Vote Down February 2012
    Hello, I'm interested in establishing a sustainable farm.

When, and for how much money was the farm site acquired? How was the specific site chosen as the place where Factor e Farm would eventually be?

What were the financial difficulties faced along the way and how were they overcome?

How is internet connectivity brought to remote undeveloped sites? (If I remember correctly, one of the videos mentions internet being beamed by microwave to Factor e Farm?)

On an unrelated note, there has been a lot of interest in the Solar Cubicle, but only the one video and a neglected page on the wiki providing information on it. Does it leak since it doesn't have a roof? Is the floor made out of 2x6s laid on the 2x4 studs? How well does that hold up? How would a cubicle hold up in thunderstorms, high winds, and other severe weather?

Thank you very much.

• 3 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    dorkmodorkmo

February 2012
    i know that they have dsl. theyre close enough to maysville to get service.

• Bumping this. Does no one know about the solar cubicles or the evolution to the current Factor e Farm?

The history as I understand it was this:

Urban Agriculture in Madison -> Garden plot on borrowed land -> Hydroponics experimentation -> Industrialized Scale Up

How was the land acquired?

• Yeah, I'm not sure. I got the impression Marcin bought it after he got his phd, then put it in some kind of trust. Not sure, tho.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion