Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
Broken finger
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    admin

February 2012
    I’ve officially broken my finger. Hopefully this post will prevent someone else from making the same mistakes I did. First mistake: I left the chuck in the lathe accidentally and turned it on, Monday night. It whacked my pinky. Thankfully, I was wearing gloves, or it could have been much worse. Second Mistake: working alone. [...]

• 2 Comments sorted by
  • Owie owie! It's astounding how much energy can be stored in a lathe chuck key; it could have been much worse even with the gloves...heck, you could have put your eye out or something. On the bright side, it's a mistake you're unlikely to repeat; it's one of those things like wheels-up landings which are fairly common but have low recidivism. The time time I did that, the key didn't hit me, or anybody else in the class, but it left the chuck with a bang and whizzed across the room in great haste, nearly taking my grade with it.

I tip my hat to you for the prompt confession, and if it serves as a reminder for us all to take care when working with power equipment it was well worth writing. Get better soon so you can get back to work.  :-)

PS--I note you broke your left pinky, otherwise you would have typed " inky". Mavis Beacon is watching you!

• Design the power switch to require the chuck key to be inserted to flip it on (use it as a lever to flip the switch).  That is known as a "lock out" in industrial equipment, you cannot physically turn the thing on until the key is in a safe location.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion