Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
Decentralization Is The Only Plausible Economic Solution Left
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    MetzMetz

January 2012
    In keeping with the main theme in the Open Source Ecology, This great article by Brandon Smith over at Alt Market really hits home to the point why our Open Source projects are so important. 

Decentralization Is The Only Plausible Economic Solution Left

When I first began the process of launching the Alternative Market
    Project, the idea and scope were rooted in analytical papers I had
    written years before on aspects of centralization versus
    decentralization, and globalization versus localization.  Back then, I
    saw these conflicting economic systems as mutually generative.  That is
    to say, the further we as a society are pushed towards collectivist or
    feudalist economic structures, the more we naturally or unconsciously
    gravitate towards independent and open markets.  The problem today is
    that independent markets have been artificially and quite deliberately
    removed from the public view.  As I have said in the past,
    centralization is a powerful tool for elitists, because it allows them
    to remove all choice from a system until the only options left to the
    people are those that the establishment desires.  Though we deeply long
    for free and vibrant trade unhindered by corporate oligarchy, we are
    told that such a thing does not exist, and that we must make due with
    the corrupt ramshackle economy we have been given.  I say, this is
    simply not so…

The great lie that drives the fiat global
    financial locomotive forward is the assumption that there is no other
    way of doing things.  (read the rest here)

• 2 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    MetzMetz

January 2012
    highlights from the article

The essentials of an independent life are food, water, shelter,
    property, trade, and safety.  The means to attain these essentials have
    been relegated to instruments which central banks and other elitist
    entities administer and control.  However, that control is and always
    has been an illusion, an illusion we could walk away from anytime we
    wish.  This is done through localizing the production of essentials. 
    Changing the way we look at trade is the key.  A few simple rules, if
    followed in a determined fashion, make this change a reality:

1)  Provide Essentials For Yourself Whenever Possible

2)  Network Or Die:

3)  Trade Skills, Not Dollars:

4)  Use Commodities, Dump Dollars:

5)  Become Your Own Industry:

6)  Internalize State Commerce:

• Well, at least you didn't focus on any of the hyperbole :)

"Already, IMF mascots like Christine Lagarde and MSM pundits have begun suggesting that the EU is failing not because of centralization, but because the union is not centralized ENOUGH!"

Both centralization and decentralization work. It is the compromise between them that usually fails. When you live on an island in the middle of a river, and the river starts to flood, BOTH banks are plausible escapes. Suggesting the left bank over the right bank, or vice versa, is not evil.

"Both cultures are being strong-armed through the removal of options and funneled into a waiting net like so much oblivious trout."

Power begets power. It doesn't have to be a conspiracy when powerful entities take advantage of disaster to advance their interests. That's just how things work. What else would you expect them to do? Just because several different entities are successful doesn't mean they're working together or planning anything at all. It doesn't take a genius to buy when prices are low.

"With modern technology, including space and energy saving methods, self sustainability is possible even in urban surroundings."

Really? I'd love to see more than a single hand-waving sentence on that. Cities exist because they produce an order of magnitude more economic benefit. That synergy comes at the cost of specialization. The density of non-farmers is too great for self-sufficiency.

" The goal here is to do for yourself whatever you can, whenever you can, making you less vulnerable to mainstream economic chaos.  The more insulated you are, the better equipped you will be to help build or participate in an alternative market."

This is a good example of his lack of clarity on centralized vs decentralized. Apparently he is advocating isolation so that one can better network? I think he's confusing decision-making structures with resource distribution networks. It's entirely possible for a bunch of people who are totally resource independent of each other to participate in a strictly hierarchical decision making system. They aren't mutually exclusive.

"Some essentials cannot be provided by one’s self"

See? Even he is qualifying "self sustainability" to mean something less than providing all of one's own resources. So, really, his problem seems to be with the abuse of power, not with centralization. Centralization leads to lower costs, which means everyone can get those essentials they can't provide for themselves more cheaply. It can ALSO lead to abuse that is easier to instigate and get away with. But the two are not the same thing.

Anywho...I more or less agree with his prescriptions.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion