Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    pelspels

January 2012
    Category: Water, Sanitation, Hygiene

With pleasure I saw a drill for water.

A next device should deal with:
    - water storage
    - fecal matter management
    - soap production

Also nice would be to have some basics around health like:
    - syringes
    - glove production / condoms

• 3 Comments sorted by
  • If we had cement, we could make concrete tanks both for water storage and septic systems.  Periodically you empty out the septic tank and use it for fertilizer.  That requires you separate human waste + food waste from chemicals you might use elsewhere.  This is why I have solar cement furnace high on my personal project list.  After water, concrete is the most-used man-made material worldwide, and cement is what holds concrete together.  It can also make stronger and longer lasting earth blocks.  Cement is just cooked rock.  Lime cements are cooked limestone, and with the addition of brick dust are closer to a portland cement.  Actual portland cement (the common type you buy at home improvement centers) is 5 parts limestone to 1 part shale fired to a high temperature, and then ground to a powder.  For water storage, you might want to have a lining to keep it clean and a way to treat it (filters, activated charcoal, etc), even if you are getting the water from a rainwater source.

Wood ash + water = lye.  Lye + fat = soap.  If for some reason you don't want to go to the local shop and just buy it, it's not that hard to make.  I tend to think in terms of biggest needs first.  For most people, shelter (house to live in, workshop), food, furnishings, and basic utilities (heating and A/C, water, sewer, electric) are what takes up the biggest share of personal needs.  Anything beyond that is nice to have, but I would worry about them, personally, after the basics are taken care of.  Go ahead and add something to the wiki about soap if you want, but I will be working on setting up a community workshop, a sawmill, and a cement furnace, since we need those before we can do much else.

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    DanialDanial

January 2012
    Water storage has been around for thousands of years and has barely changed in that time other than the materials used to store it. Solid stone reservoirs, stone and mortar wells, concrete wells and cisterns, plastic and metal holding tanks are all just large waterproof/resistant containers and are very easy to make.

Human waste can be dealt with by using a living machine water system - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_machines . Solid waste can easily be reduced to valuable compost and fertilizer. A good reference for this is the Humanure Handbook pdf - http://humanurehandbook.com/downloads/H2_all.pdf

You can buy homemade soap in almost any town or city. Most shops will even let you decide what goes into it and do a custom order for you. But in the event of someone wanting to know how to do it themselves a Google search will yield a plethora of how-to pages, videos and web groups.

• water storage, monitoring and treatment are certainly important things for any community, i found a really good resource for information here - http://www.akvo.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page - they've got information on a wide range of methods with plenty of links to other projects and resources, plus they seem to be devoted to continuing the work which is always good.  

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Tagged