Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
Paul from South Carolina
  • Hello, I am a network engineer at Clemson University and a mechanical and electrical "tinkerer."  I would like to see communities be more self sufficient and take better care of those in need.  I began trying to be more self sufficient a few years by growing my own food and raising animals.  It has been rewarding, but a lot of work for one person.  I found out about the GVCS a few months ago and was fascinated by the simplicity of the sustainable community concept. 

My goal is to reproduce the the GVCS in the upstate of South Carolina and spread the word about Open Source Ecology.  Hopefully, this would allow people to spawn small businesses, not depend on big corporations for a paycheck, and help revitalize the local economy.

• 3 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down December 2011
    this is a worthy goal.

Have you explored the options of automation in the terms of raising animals and food?  

In computers, programmers are powerful because computers can do work that is tedious for humans.  why shouldn't our computers (through physical actuators) also do work that is tedious for humans like managing crops and livestock?

• Hi Paul.  I'm between Birmingham and Atlanta, so not that close, but closer than Missouri.  I'd like to get a community DIY workshop set up eventually as a bootstrap to making more things locally.  As a bridge between where we are now (just one location really building stuff) and lots of local groups, maybe we can do a "south-eastern region" interest group?  Help each other reach a critical mass and spawn local groups.  My user name here (at) gmail (dot) com is a direct email, feel free to contact me.

• Paul,

I am located near Macon, Georgia, and have a lot of experience in raising dairy goats. I am very interested in anything having to do with livestock production. There is some software currently available for herd tracking, but most of the good software is quite expensive. I'm not a tinkerer, but I have a lot of knowledge about livestock management that I could add to a group such as you describe.  

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion