Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
Greeting From Huntsville Ontario, Canada
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    DanialDanial

December 2011
    Warmest greetings!

I am so pleased to be a new member of this forum and online community. My name is Danial, Im 27 and have been fascinated with society and the way we operate and build things since I was quite young. It wasn't until the last couple years that I became familiar with the concept of open sourcing and that has ultimately brought me here. I am currently in the initial stages of designing a basic solar glass foundry. The intention behind this is to bring a low cost, low energy, low carbon footprint glassware technology to the community that can be used to produce everyday glass items used in the home and greater community.

I have no formal education and am not the most tech savvy person out there, but I love to build things. Over the past three years I have built a cob meditation building and started a community gardening project to provide fresh produce for the local food bank on unused building lots. I'm very excited to have found this group of enthusiastic individuals and I look forward to getting to know you!

Peace!
    ~Danial

• 6 Comments sorted by
  • Great that you could join us Danial! Always good seeing fellow Canadian's working on OSE :D

Cheers,
    - Mike

• Vote Up0Vote Down December 2011
    Building with cob is awesome enough, but doing a community garden for the food banks?  That is fabulous!

Do you have any pictures of your plans and ideas for solar glass foundry?

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    DanialDanial

December 2011
    Hi Mike! Nice to meet a fellow OSE Canuck!

Hi DavidIAM! Cob is amazing to work with! Here is a photo montage of the construction process if you like:

I have several very basic computer drawings done of the solar glass foundry. I rather use the good old pencil and paper for drafting so my technical drawings on the computer suck lol. But below are a few of them. I'll be doing a video of the process soon and I'll post it. Because the winter is not conducive to outdoor testing all I can do is plan, draw, and build right now. The testing will start in the spring. I am working on a scale model now with a 7"x10" fresnel lens to help work out some of the design flaws.

Right now Im designing the frame for a fresnel lens that would have adjustable focal length, making it easier to get the desired temperature. Im also trying to get a modular setup so that the crucible could be changed out for a glory hole, annealing oven and so on. Im just starting the whole process and the attached drawings are also very basic. They will get more detailed soon.

I also have drawings for a set of stacking forms to be used in chunk casting, Ill post a video of them when I get a chance to put it together.

Oh, and a sun tracker will be incorporated, its just not shown on the drawing.

Peace!

Attachments
    Fresnel-Crucible stand side profile1.PNG 28K
    Fresnel - crucible stand perspective 1.png 69K
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    dorkmodorkmo

December 2011
    i drew up a quick sketchup if anyone wants to play around

• Vote Up0Vote Down December 2011
    Very interesting - on both the cob building, and on the solar melter.  Have you done any calculations on the amount of energy intensity required to raise a crucible and material to glass melting temperatures, vs. its ambient heat dissipation rates, vs. the amount of energy available from a mere square meter of sun?

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    DanialDanial

December 2011
    @ dorkmo - That model is really neat. Im going to have to learn to use sketchup. It makes it look so much cleaner. Thanks for drawing that up!

@DavidIAM - I know that there is roughly 125 watts/ft2 (1353watts/m2) falling to earth under "ideal" conditions. The conditions Ill be working in will be far from ideal between the latitude here in Huntsville and our generally cloudy weather. I may have to ask around at the local environmental studies university here to get some more accurate numbers, or try to figure it out on my own. I think Im going to have to start pouring over some physics texts to get a grasp on the math needed for a lot of the thermodynamic variables involved with this as I'm pretty illiterate with them.

I am going to be starting my testing with a low melting point glass like soda-lime glass to try work up from there. Ill be starting with recycled glass as well as it will give the best chance for success. I know there are lenses large enough to melt silica sand very quickly, it is a matter of taking that and doing something useful with it, like melting a 5lb crucible full of it for casting.

I have been considering the crucible as well. A traditional crucible would be terribly inefficient to use for this. It is traditionally placed inside a hot place where as in this instance the hot place will be inside of the crucible only. In a way the crucible is the furnace as well and will need to be designed to function as both. I am thinking of an insulated spherical crucible, but that is a ways off yet. I have rough set of drawing for it but I'm not focusing on it until I have the lens stand fleshed out.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion