Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
Tractor chassis vs Dozer & Microcombine
  • Can you build one platform which is usable as both bulldozer and general purpose tractor, or is there some kind of notable differences requiring an entirely separate vehicle?

It's also looking like the microcombine is a totally special construction which I assume uses the power cube to switch over... i'm wondering whether the hydraulic motors do/could bolt over as well (how often do you use a combine, once per year normally?) or whether some design that would work more like an attachment to the tractor would be possible for less overlap/redundancy and less total use of metal...

Are any of the other systems designed as large standalone pieces and therefore cost in the thousands instead of the hundreds?

• 4 Comments sorted by
  • As for the combine, I still would prefer designing a towed combine. They worked well until industry decided to produce only self-propelled ones to increase sales volume and profits.
    But I don't think tractors and bulldozers have enough in common to design it as one unit. Bulldozers need a different undercarriage. They are larger than a tractor in Lifetrac size. And expecially bulldozers need to be much heavier.
    For removing tree stumps, bulldozers with 10+ tons weight are considered useable. For larger earth movements as constructing dams you also need that weight for acceptable performance.
    Even a ten ton dozer is a small machine compared to industry built ones with weights up to 125 tons.

Mike

• If a dozer absolutely has to be a larger size... could the dozer be made to still use the other LifeTrac attachments so that if you can only build one machine at least for now, and you KNOW you need a dozer, you just build the bigger dozer? What would the detriments be of this approach?

• Hi Jerry,

there is no reason why a bulldozer can't be engineered to use the same implements as a Lifetrac. With implements like a backhoe, it would even be a better team, given the better stability of a large heavy bulldozer.

But for a lot of possible uses, a 10-15 ton bulldozer is no good choice. Or do You really want such a heavy bulldozer to mow Your lawn? If, You can save the money for the mower, just driving forth and back with the bulldozer and some turning; and no grass left

Mike

• Mostly I want to have less vehicles to have to build storage for and buy large long sections of steel to build. Everyone done with one tractor is ideal even if it takes longer, which is why I wondered whether a LifeTrac could simply be weighted down more, use a smaller dozer blade, gear the speed down so the torque is even higher, and so forth. A 10-15 ton dozer is way bigger than I had planned... even the dozer like abilities i'd need are fairly minimal, I just assume it is the best or only way to really smooth out land, build up a hill, connect the roadway to the house/build the drive in area and parking area, and similar. Maybe a front loader attachment is perfectly fine for those jobs even if it takes longer.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Tagged