Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
Steam power engine options - example: Cyclone Power Engine
  • http://www.cyclonepower.com/works.html links to Cyclone Power Technologies' "How It Works" page for their non-opensource "Cyclone Engine."

As an example of a Rankine cycle steam engine, the Cyclone Engine may serve as a useful example of modern steam power implementation.

• 5 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    mjnmjn

November 2011
    I am familiar with the Cyclone steam engine.  It is a fine piece of machinery and definitely a state-of-the-art advancement for steam technology.  It is also protected by several patents.  Patents are something we continually struggle with - especially in the open hardware world.  It is partially for that reason that most of our OSE steam engine designs are based on some very OLD concepts and thus expired patents.

- Mark

• Mark, absolutely understood. Was posting the Cyclone Engine purely as an example. Thanks for your considered & informed reply. :-)

-Kern

• for a patent, is it "patently illegal" to build one for your own use?  I know you can't build and sell them to make money, but if you just build one for yourself with the intent of "proving that it works" is that really all that wrong?  Then say it does work and you put it into service for yourself... 

Where does that line get drawn?  

• Vote Up0Vote Down December 2011
    The line gets drawn at profiting monetarily off of their patented invention without license from them to do so.

• I believe in the UK it's acceptable to infringe on a patent as long as it's for your own personal non-commercial use. However, in the US all patent infringement is illegal. I'm not an expert, tho.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Tagged