Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
crash course in steam
  • This is a discussion about the completion of the crash course in steam (http://openfarmtech.org/wiki/Crash_Course_in_Steam)

question:
    Tell me how much energy is required to convert water to steam at a certain temperature and pressure:

Answer:

Starting with 1 kg of water @ 25°C, 0.1 Mpa to steam @ 400°C 1.5 Mpa*(400°C may be to high, but...)

enthalpy of 1 kg of water @ 25 C 0,1Mpa ( H1) = 104.86 kj

enthalpy of 1 kg of saturated steam @ 198 C 1,5Mpa ( H2) = 2789.88kj

Energy necessary to raise the temperature of the steam to 198 to 400 C = (400-198) x 2.819 = Q1 = 570Kj

energy required is: (H2 - H1) + Q1= 3255 kj = 0,57kwh

1. How much steam (400°C 1.5 Mpa) can be generated from a given energy ?

= (1/0,57)kg/kwh = 1,75kg/kwh

2. How much time it will take to do #1 if you know the rate of energy input (power input)

(1,75 x P) kg/h, where P = power in kw

3. How much solar steam you should generate from a certain rate of solar power input

depends on the termal eficiency of the solar boiler >>. Let's assume 80%

so, 0.8 x (1,75 x P) kg/h

4. How much power is obtained from the steam you generate when running through the engine.

Depends on a lot of parameters for the engine, but let's assume a 10% eficiency.

resulting power is 0.1 x 0.8 x Sp; where Sp =solar power in kw

comments?

• 2 Comments sorted by
  • Steam power is "old tech" in the sense that it has been around since the start of the Industrial Revolution, so knowledge about it is all over the place. For example I have a big heavy reference book on Steam written by Babcock and Wilcox (who make steam boilers for power plants). As part of the documentation for the GVCS, I think it would useful to find existing online data similar to what is in that steam handbook, or scan in older reference works (out of copyright) or get permission to scan data from newer works. Not everyone needs to be an expert on the subject, but we can point to the expert knowledge as needed and make it accessible. Applying this to all technical topics, we can aim to having a "reference library" for anyone who needs more detail on a subject. Data storage is trivially cheap these days. You can fit my entire paper reference collection of science and engineering books on a thumb drive.

• @Daniel, I think it is a great idea for us to start constructing a reference library, there are tons (metric tonnes*) of skills I need to learn before I can be of much fabrication/development use.

*(I'm trying to get used to expressing measurements in both Imperial and Metric units.)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Tagged