Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
  • My name is Ben and I'm an avid supporter of the open source model. I am a boilermaker by trade with interest in every construction trade. I have good general knowledge of I.T. side of things. I have had a growing interest of late in getting the knowledge and hands on experience in self sufficient sustainable living practices and in particular, solar energy uses including alcohol fuel production. I live on a 320 acre block in the north west area of the Sydney Basin (Watagan forest) in NSW, Australia. I first became aware of OSE from the movie Owned and Operated, which I watched maybe 12 months ago.

I've been working my trade for several years now for many companies. I am interested in starting my own shop now, here in the bush. So step one is to build a fabrication shop that I can store heavy machinery, fabricate anything and be able to store lots of raw materials (steel racks). I have found a location and am currently working on a 3d model of the freestanding shop design in Inventor. It will have a very large main beam which will span 28m and hold a couple of 2t cranes and a counterbalanced roof covering half of the beam length. I might start a blog when I figure out the rest of the site.

So when I kick start the fab shop I am very eager to start producing and testing various OSE designs. Maybe an end goal in this respect would be to have a functioning OSE Australian base where lectures could take place, maintenance and parts could be purchased etc etc.. maybe years down the track. I do plan on running a profiting business from this shop as well and will be trying to get contracts from mining companies while this boom lasts. I predict that most of the profits from this however, will go to the OSE projects.

Anyway, there's a five year plan in a nutshell xD.

I'll be looking forward to working with some of you soon.

Regards
    Ben

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter