Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
Potential implications for OSE (and everyone else) regarding Fukushima reactor 4
  • First, let me say that I am not a doomsday type, basing observation on pseudoscience. However, something  very disturbing has caught my attention, and I feel that it warrants mention here, as it could be that should the worst case scenario arrive, and it is extremely likely that it may, the GVCS may be disrupted or may actually offer salvation depending on the choices made should something occur.

I am referring to Fukushima reactor 4. Rather than rehash the entire concept in my own words, I will hit the high points, and link to the articles discussing it. There are approx. 1500 waste fuel rods stored in a cooling pool, approx. 100 feet in the air in the severely damaged building of reactor 4. It is extremely likely that should an earthquake  above a 7.0 strike, building 4 and the cooling pools would collapse, and a severe radiological fire would put approx. 10 times the Cs-137 generated by Chernobyl, and making it impossible to be in the area for both man and machine alike.  The current projected likelihood of this is 70% in the next year, or a 98% chance in the next 3 years. Obviously, this would have severe implications alone, but, there are approx. 11000 spent fuel rods that could no longer be maintained that would probably meltdown as well, amplifying the catastrophe to 85-100 times the radiation created by Chernobyl. The implications of this are staggering. From a risk management perspective, the cost/likelihood relationship of this makes this the biggest threat humanity has ever faced. Some are saying that it may possibly make the northern hemisphere virtually uninhabitable. I don't know if this is actually accurate, but that notwithstanding, it will obviously cause trillions of dollars of damage, plus render Japan uninhabitable, and cause extreme problems all along the west coast of North America. Again, It really saddens me to share this news, but this group of freethinkers has the wherewithal to confront this challenge, and I have faith that should this event occur, this community will be those that will be there to catch the pieces where they fall.

Also, just like every other challenge that has ever existed, those with the wherewithal to overcome will thrive in the long run. Such an opportunity exists in this scenario. Right now, the robotic machinery that is being used is being fried by the radiation fields. They estimate that to develop the technology to confront this challenge will take several years to develop. I disagree. I think that using scrum and extreme manufacturing, and talented developers, which OSE has in spades, we have the tools to overcome these hurtles in a timely fashion. What this would do is demonstrate the potential of this new paradigm shift in product development.

This stuff is not in my skillset, yet. However, I do know how to grow just about anything organically with greenhouse hydroponics, a skill I gained by doing the Veteran's Sustainable Agriculture Training (VSAT) Course. Additionally, I am working on getting a 12 week internship done at a vertical farming facility in Chicago that is zero waste. What this will help me do is develop a project for a dedicated project visit that will allow me to develop a closed loop food system that, by design, will minimize the bio-accumulation of radioactive isotopes that would be an inevitability should the scenario above occur.

Tonight, I am giving a teach-in to Occupy Dallas about this challenge. I will post the link to the video after this is done. Collaborators are always welcome.

Blessings of peace and light to you all.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter