Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
detroit v3 teensy mod
  • heyo just thought i'd post this update to the detroit board that james bunny slade and i worked on

http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/CEB_Press/Manufacturing_Instructions/Detroit_Fab_Lab_Solenoid_Driver_v3

instead of a tradition arduino it uses a teensy clone

had to add a regulator to take the 12V to 5V because teensy doesnt have that capability built in like regular arduino

put some terminals that can handle larger gauge wire since i think everyone has had an issue with the old ones being too small

also added some buttons

the code for buttons still needs to be written if anyone wants to take that on

also anyone know if there should be resistors for the buttons? what size?

alrighty, questions, comments, concerns?

• 7 Comments sorted by
  • Hello, I don't know what that project is about. But I have experience in
    microcontrollers as I am lecturer in electronics. I designed my own
    teensyduino and I want to use arduino boards to build a opensource
    greenhouse. I have a Beng, Msc and Phd in Electronics hopefully it will
    be useful for these projects. If you can give me a explanation of this I
    could help you out with my experience in microcontrollers and
    instrumentation. I have a youtube channel where I teach how to use arduino, labview and other stuff but it is in spanish.

All the best,

David I.S. 

• I'm actually working out the last kinks of a revised board (v4).  It adds a terminal to control manual Left/Right/Up/Down buttons and allows for the use of internal pull up resistors for those buttons.  I've also build up KiCAD project files so we have schematics and corresponding layout boards to work with from now on, rather than editing image files with Paint/Gimp/etc.  As soon as I get my version out, I would love a pair of eyes to verify that I haven't messed something out before we print the boards out.

Might also be able to use help making some corresponding changes to the code, though I am a computer programmer by day, so this isn't hard for me either.  Always welcome to have more people helping out!

zach

• Just now getting the board finished up.  If you'd like to proof it, I'm attaching the current version of the files now.  There are still a few minor layout changes I'd like to make, but the schematic is all set and its hopefully only minor tweaking from here

Attachments
    cebpress.tar.gz 128K
    cebpress-controller-board-v4.png 38K
    cebpress-controller-schematic-v4.png 36K
  • Where can I find the description of the function of this circuit? I mean I would like to see what kind of sensors are you gonna use, the buttons are gonna control what? You're using power devices at the outputs but which is the sequence, do they need a timer? If I can find that description it can take me one ore two days to write the code in arduino. I could add description of the code in case that somebody wants to change the program.

All the best,
    David I.S

• Hey, sorry it took me so long to get back to you.  The existing code is available here: http://opensourceecology.org/w/images/3/3a/CEBControl.ino
    and the design of the electronics side of the CEB Press is discussed here: http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/CEB_Press/Research_Development/Controller_Design

I just found these yesterday, I don't think they are well advertised.  Anyway, it turns out the code doesn't need to be changed after all, or if it does, its just a few characters.  I sent your info to James Slade, who is organizing CEB Press stuff.  If he hasn't already gotten a hold of you, I'd try looking him up and getting a hold of him.

I just started helping out here, and I've found that most of the R&D discussions are happening outside of this forum, either in person or via email.

zach

• Thank you for your message. I saw already the code and it seems to be fine, I also read the sequence. My only suggestion would be that finding the description, sequence, etc was not easy to find it. Maybe the code of the code could be more readable if some constants are used to define buttons and sensors for example:
    int cylinder = 1;               
    int button_up=4;

pinMode(cylinder, OUTPUT);    
    variable=digitalRead(button_up);

I will follow your suggestion and I will try to get James by e-mail maybe I can help him out with some stuff.

All the best!

• yeah, I agree about the code, it could definitely use to be cleaned up!  You're welcome to it, if you'd like, I think it would be helpful.  I haven't read through all of the code yet myself, partly for that reason.  ;)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Tagged