Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
Hello from Lawrence, KS, USA
  • Hey ya'll,

My name's Matt Schwabauer.  I'm a 27 year old retired :) construction engineer.  I have a mechanical engineering degree from Northwestern University and 4 years construction engineering experience with Kiewit.  I worked on two heavy civil construction projects in San Diego and Vancouver BC.  I also spent about a 18 months of that 4 years as an estimator bidding on various other heavy civil projects around North America.

In April 2011 I quit Kiewit on good terms to pursue a more sutainable life.  Kiewit had no problem pursuing tar sands contracts, nuclear submarine base contracts, or any other job that promised large monetary returns.  We're all tied into this destructive human system, but I could not continue to be so close to the heart of it.  I've spent the past 12 months occupying my kin, my government, my mind, and various farms.

I'm a big supporter (although not yet a true fan) of what OSE is doing.  I came close to posting this and applying for the "construction documenter" job which Marcin posted in December 2011, this was shortly after I discovered the existence of OSE.  I'm currently engaged in a few farm apprenticeships around my hometown of Lawrence but believe in the OSE post-scarcity vision and plan to get involved in whatever capacity I'm able.

I suppose the official path requires the culturing survey which I've filled out but not posted.  I am very interested in the FeF permaculture design and potentially documenting and engineering that work.  I saw Marcin call for operator dedicated project visits to run the earth moving equipment.  I've managed various heavy civil construction crews but don't have any operating experience myself.  I also understand that the construction is mostly complete on the Hablab and shop but there's a future house to be built.  This house also greatly interests me.  The cohabitat design looks pretty terrific.

I ee myself as an organizer of construction, farm, and development work.  I'm researching available land in the Lawrence area to setup my own farm, shop, and ecologically sensible development scheme.  After I get a working model the next logical step is to help pass on the knowledge so others can live the dream as well :)  I'd love to have a construction company/co-op running OSE equipment, building good housing and permaculture sites for people.

Anywho, I look forward to more collaboration with all of you in the future, thank you for what you do.  Peace & Prosperity!

Matt Schwabauer
    schwabauer@gmail.com
    785-393-7301

Attachments
    MatthewSchwabauer-Resume-January2012 (1).pdf 67K

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter