Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
Plasma Gasification

• Looking forward to building Larry's gasifier. Just need some instructions.

A friend and I have been looking into gasification for some time but have never really come
    across clear cut plans to build one, so this is great.

What i'm really keen on is creating biofuel as an outcome from the gasifier syngas.
    South Africa has been the leader in coal to liquid (CtL) fuel technology for
    the last 40 years. As a result there are some thought leaders in this field in
    a number of South African universities. One professor from witwatersrand
    university in particular has improved on a plasma gasification technique and FT
    tech to create a plasma gasification system in a ISO container that can gasifiy
    up to 10 tons of waste per day to create 10 barrels of synfuel or 0.5MW of
    electricity. I guess this could be a potential target for the OSE community.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

http://www.beautifuel.co.za/

http://www.engineeringnews.co.za/article/sa-scientists-to-showcase-hybrid-energy-processing-plant-prototype-at-cop-17-2011-10-21

http://www.wits.ac.za/academic/ebe/3972/comps.html

It appears plasma gasification is a cleaner option as there is no ash as an
    output and less scrubbing of the syngas is required, plus a wider range of
    feedstock can be used. I see that a plasma torch is planned for the GVCS this
    year. It would be great to adapt this plasma torch in the gasifier.

any thoughts, would there be a need for a major redesign?

• 2 Comments sorted by
  • Waste management company has been working on this project for years. There was a reticle in wired or business insider awhile back about it. They have spent tens of millions of dollars getting the process to work and they are still not there yet. The best they can do is the excess fuel powering back the plasma process, it is generally a net zero process because the energy produced from syngas is reused in the plasma generator.

• The university that is punting this tech immensely, is a 5 minute drive from my work. I think i need to get my lazy self over there and have a discussion with some of the professors. I think the issue is their technology has been patented by the university, particularly around the significant improvement in their version of Fischer Tropsch. Also they are using plasma technology supplied by the nuclear energy corporation of south africa, another semi private government institution. They have designed 3 waste to energy plants, 2 in china and 1 in australia....so they have it working well. 

Their micro plant in a 40ft container was put together for ZAR350k (USD 46K) however they have mentioned selling a container at USD130K in future.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Tagged