Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
Biofuel-for-Everyone plans on Kickstarter.com
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    VVilly

January 2012
    Hello,

First post and I would like to say I am happy to have found, and to be, a part of this community. I just happened upon it because I was researching for DIY projects anyways so I was already primed and ready for this kind of thinking - except you guys are taking it to a whole other level.  

So the topic: I just wanted to pass along this project as a possible fuel source technology for the GVCS. If his yields are as good as he (Rudolph Behrens) says they are, then this could be a clear winner for synthetic fuel. 

The project approach and Rudolph's philosophy reminded me of this site - they are very close. However, he holds patents and I don't know if he intends to support an Open Source model. I think there's a good chance of it, here's a quote 

When this is done I intend to market plans, kits and finished robots. I also will develop new applications for the technology. I believe that regular people deserve a chance to earn a good living. I also think we don't have to destroy the planet, or our fellow humans to do it. This design is a fusion of Rachel Carson and Adam Smith. We are doing good for the planet by doing good for ourselves. This is not only one of the cleanest ways to make energy, it is one of the cheapest. This is price competitive with fossil fuels without any tax breaks or subsidies. That is revolutionary.

I could have sold this patent to a big company but they would have just used it to make rich people richer. This way, everyone benefits and I expect I will do OK as well. Political Democracy without Economic Democracy is a half effort.

I understand that algae based bio-diesel generally is not patented, so the OSE could figure out it's own implementation. Then at least his project shows a proof of concept. 

Only drawback I can see is that those great yields are from robots deployed at sea, which not everyone can get to easly. The land based systems have much lower yields. 

Regards, Will

• 8 Comments sorted by
  • Theory and practice often diverge, but that looks like a very impressive project. I will be very eager to see his prototype. 

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    VVilly

January 2012
    I believe he's done a mini-prototype of the prototype, so I assume he's extrapolating the yield from that

• I am a contributor for that project.  I am the contributor that asked him to clarify the patent/licensing situation, as it was not mentioned in the project.

It is not exactly "open hardware" as the plans/etc are not available to everyone, just to the backers.  i am still unclear on the details of the licensing, but I hoe they will post that information.

I do think the project has a lot of potential, and I hope to see further developments.

The concept is simple enough, produce lipids from algae and then use thermal depolymerization to convert the lipids into diesel. I think a lot of feedstocks could be used, and mostly anything that you can exact a lipid from (maybe don't even need that).

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    dorkmodorkmo

January 2012
    it's all about the benjamins baby

• for sure.  I pretty much got kicked out of being a contributor for requesting that he post licensing details on the project (they were no where to be found).  Apparently, he didn't like that very much, and told me to get lost.

So much for asking for clarification!

• I'm still waiting for him to post the license... all of the contributors have given their money without knowing the details of a license that limits their use of the plans.

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    Dubby14

February 2012
    This is one of those Kickstarters that seems really fishy. I'm not holding my breath.

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    MetzMetz

February 2012
    Sounds rather ungrateful for the support.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion