Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
OPEN SOURCE ECONOMICS and CIVILISATION GROUP
  • With my academic hat on I am working on a variety of projects relating to long term perspectives on energy and civilization,Transition, resilience - all with in a ecological systems theory framework.  I would like to start a serious collaborative investigation on the implications of scaling up the OSE model.  I guess my question is can a transition from growth economics + passive consumption, to an active but low-throughput Maker society, be compatible with an extended division of labour, an integerated global society and the kind of social complexity that is a prerequisite for cosmopolitan, democratic, individuated and liberal societies that we take for granted. Can OSE provide a vehicle for degrowth? Can OSE provide the foundation for a low-energy cosmopolitanism?  This would include consideration of:
    •  political economic roots and branches (from Fourier, Owen, Kropotkin, Ebenezer Howard, Patrick Geddes, Schumacher, Illich, Buckminster Fuller, Paolo Soleri ....etc);
    • degrowth
    • possible fiscal-welfare systems (basic income, land-taxation, eco-dividends, NIT etc);
    • appropriate technology in the megacities of the global south (cf. Christopher Alexander's pattern language....recent work by Stewart Brand, Geoffrey B West and others);
    • the exploding open-source/wikinomics literature (Leadbetter, Tapscott)
    • social innovation and the problem of scaling up local solutions
    • the thermodynamic cost of complexity (using perhaps Odum's energy hierarchy theory/Transformity)
    • bioregionalism
    • ecocities
    • vertical farming
    I think this kind of work is essential to flesh out the OSE vision.  I just want to see how many people might want to be involved.  I would suggest developing such a discussion on the open-source reference manager and academic social network site  http://www.mendeley.com/  IT IS FREE and   I am just starting to use it, but it seems fantastic and allows a free depository of pdfs in the cloud ...in such a way that a group can all work, annotate and comment on papers put up for discussion without bouncing emails back and forth and having multiple copies.    Anyway if anyone is interested perhaps you could let me know.

My name is Steve Quilley and I lecture in environmental politics at Keele University in the UK. I also have strong links with University of Waterloo in Canada. My email is arlojem@gmail.com

• 16 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down December 2011
    I don't think everyone sees OSE as the means to a communal welfware state.

I think that theories that involve stealing from people through taxation and imposing your feel-good beliefs at the point of a gun should stay out of the core OSE project.

One size does not fit all, any attempt to "design" social order on a global scale will have the exact same result as the tyranny we have today.

What kind of time and effort investment are you expecting in this discussion?  It sounds like you've been in the in interest and professional space to have spent several thousand hours more thinking and reading about these subjects than most people have.  That is a pretty daunting learning curve.

• I don't think I mentionned what beliefs I may or may not have eukreign.  But thanks for your constructive response

• Hi DavidIam, I Yes that is true. But I guess I feel the same about the technical/ fabrication side of it.  I suppose we all have to throw into the mix whatever we have. I am an academic ...and although I grant you there is often a long lead time for ideas to filter through into concrete policies or politics there has always been a three-way exchange between activists and social experimenters, politicians and policy makers and academics in a variety of disciplines. Right now the degrowth movement is being 'serviced' by many academics moonlighting to an extent as well as publishing formal papers. If nothing else assembling a digital library of relevant papers would probably be a useful exercise in itself.  I hadn't really thought about time/investment. It depends on who signs up and is interested. Possibly no-one.   What I do know is that there are serious issues and complex trade offs which may not be immediately apparent but would certainly become difficult to avoid with any attempt to scale up this experiment.  Right now I only have questions.

My response was based on a few key words used in your original post: democratic, welfare systems, land-taxation.

I believe that any system that has any influence from those ideas will end in tyranny.

It's ironic that you say "open source" and then mention democratic systems but if you were to actually look at almost any successful open source project none of them use democratic principles, they are either meritocracy or do-ocracy based.

The problem with democracy and welfare is that they remove incentive to be productive. They encourage violence and the creation of classes.

Finally, by suggesting land-taxation you're implying that you're totally cool with bashing in your neighbors head with a baseball bat (eg, violence) in order to make them "contribute" their "fair share" to the collective. Taxes by definition require fear and violence.

If I misunderstood your intentions and you don't believe in using violence against your neighbors maybe you can elaborate on why you chose those particular words. Historically and theoretically those ideas will and always have led to violence, oppression and a lower standard of living.

I can understand the appeal of thinking about these things, but I'm unconvinced that any amount of effort put into it is anything more than premature optimization - we know that the power structures of this world already results in a state of being that has sucked on many levels.  Further, there is a very long and contorted road between GVCS/OSE and mass *anything*.   The collection of papers and thoughts on the subject is, indeed, something to do - so I can only say 'it would be a valuable thing for you to curate a valuable collection of thought on such issues'.  But there is no priority, there is no fund, there is no resource from the OSE direction that likely will be provided for it, I think.  You can do it for the community, but it is, insofar as you're the one with the vision, your thing to spend time on or not, resources or not, as they come available to you.  In other words, don't let our lack of active contribution stand in your way.  We can say, ra ra, that is a good thing I have no time or inclination to pursue.  Which may not be as encouraging as you would like.

• Thanks DavidIam. I certainly won't. And I think it was pretty clear I wasn't requesting fund or resource from OSE (my small funding goes in the opposite direction as it happens). I was simply extending an invitation for a parallel, off-site discussion drawing on academic debates across a number of disciplines, but not exclusively academic in orientation.  Although it may be an appealing thought on an emotional level, OSE is not operating in a vacuum.  It builds one way or another on hundreds of years of debate and those involved in it in the present, as is clear from the wider contexts in which it is brought up, are involved in a whole range of political [and anti-political] projects - not least degrowth and Transition (Kropotkin, William Morris, Patrick Geddes, Gandhi come to mind).  I am fairly sure there are among OSE enthusiasts people who are worried sick about the prospect of run-away climate change  and others who think it is a communist plot to subvert the hard-won rights of free-born Americans. 'Premature optimization' suggests the goal is a blueprint. In fact any 'goal' would be much less ambitious than that: simply exploring the tensions and trade offs associated with open source, decentralised, low throughput forms of economy. Anyway I really wasn't suggesting we debate these issues at length on the Forum.  So why not let a 1000 flowers bloom?  Peace!  God Bless!  And may any systemic convulsions preserve you.  Does that cover everyone?

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    MetzMetz

December 2011
    You do know that Mao let 1000 flowers bloom so he could identify those who opposed him and whom he later killed?

That is A very bad analogy

see

Wikipedia 100 flowers campaign

link fixed

Metz, the link you posted is broken, it has an extra http:// at the end.

• Thanks Metz. I did know that. It is not an analogy. It is a phrase that is part of the English language use of which no more suggests an affiliation to Maoism any more than 'there is nothing new under the sun'  implies an affiliation to the old testament - especially when used with pretty obviously implied inverted commas. For the record I was brought up in a Quaker-household, I don't have any guns or baseball bats and I happen to believe that life is complex and politics of any kind involves trade-offs and compromises - whether acknowledged or not. Best wishes
    Steve

The moment you introduce violence (especially in an offensive manner such as taxes) into the equation you cannot have a long term solution to anything. Eventually the people you are threatening with violence will figure out a way to defend themselves against your aggression.

If you want a truly workable solution then you have to take into account that people are different and that using violence to make everyone march to the same tune will always end badly.

Replace taxes with charities, user fees, donations and subscriptions. Replace welfare with charities and social organizations. Forget democracy altogether, there are hundreds of much better (effective) systems, look at how many large open source projects are run (Mozilla, Linux, Apache, etc), look at societies in history that have functioned without oppressive governments:

I would strongly advise you that any system you come up with make sure that there is no offensive violence inherent in it and that only defensive force is ever considered and that the funding for this defensive force is done voluntarily by those who chose to benefit from that protection. Anything less than this and sooner or later you'll have corruption followed by tyranny and lots of people being hurt all along the way.

I think you also have to believe that people are generally good in order to even begin to think about systems for social and mutual organization. If you don't believe that then why even bother think about solutions unless you're just in this to gain control over others.

SteveQuilley, if you stick to these very basic principles I don't think you can go wrong:

This animation is available in dozens of other languages: http://www.isil.org/resources/philosophy-of-liberty-index.html

I would be very curious to know if anyone can disagree with anything in this presentation.

• All:  I really have not expressed any commitment to any kind of political project.Open source  is in principle compatible with a variety of political scenarios. There are trade-offs and compromises associated with any political or institutional arrangements. Utopias are seldom utopian in practice. I would be wary of anyone who claims to have all the answers or 'the answer' (but that doesn't mean to say that I am not sympathetic to the ideas of someone like Kevin Carson for instance (e.g. http://homebrewindustrialrevolution.wordpress.com/). Unlike Condorcet I am not convinced that there are universal principles that are eternally valid in every situation. Context is not everything, but it counts for an awful lot.  If pushed, I guess I am pessimistic and probably agree with William Ophuls' Plato's Revenge. If one is considering a fundamental transformation of any kind,the outcome almost always depends a great deal on the speed of transition, the disorder and violence along the way and in relation to problems such as climate change, peak oil and resource constraints, how quickly society begins to respond. I do think that any kind of discussion would only be productive and generate new insights if those taking part step back from their deeply held convictions and are able to read and listen with a certain suspension of disbelief. 

• I should also add that there is a strategic rationale for considering the OSE project from many different angles. At least as far as I can see a great deal will depend on how quickly not only the idea but the practice of open source fabrication goes viral.  As with other complex systems there are probably threshold numbers of fabricators, fabricating and purchasing communities, open-source designers etc. above which it becomes progressively easier to get projects off the ground.  If twenty universities adopted OSE as the basis for an undergraduate programme or 20 NGOs used OSE in working with disenfranchised communities in global south mega-cities or as the basis for village-level development in India perhaps...or even one nation-state supported the development of an open source university from ground-up -- it is inconceivable that the funding and co-opting of local partners for all these projects would succeed on the basis of a doctrinaire ideological commitment to a single political or economic philosophy.  Rather in the spirit of open-source itself, people will inevitably combine ideas and justifications to make projects feasible and palatable to specific local audiences and policy makers.  And yet such an enormous proliferation of working examples would clearly make all successive experiments more likely to succeed. Initiating a conversation about how internet-mediated OSE in the 21st development might be relevant to Gandhi's vision of rural development based on autonomous villages might open doors in India in a way that it might not in England or the Sudan. OSE might be a powerful tool, but only one component in any vision of society.  It is heartening that it meshes so well with Eukreign's political philosophy and vision of community. It may mesh equally well with others. Ideological pluralism will more likely lead to viral replication and draw out the greatest potential from what is clearly a unique and powerful experiment.  For my part, I certainly hope to persuade at least one university that skills in open-source fabrication might complement a more traditionally academic approach to undergraduate programmes in environment and sustainability.

• I love the idea of letting 1000 flowers bloom - that could be such an amazing sign of peace. I would love people around the world to all wear a red rose for peace one day! All together at the same time. Wouldn't that be fantastic? I would definitely get flowers delivered by serenata in sheffield just for being able to participate in such a great cause.

• Hi Steve,

I've just had a quick look at your posts and the responses. This could be a very interesting discussion (btw the link you provided on mendeley does not work) and I hope other people will join you in discussing these issues - please let me know where to follow these exchanges.

My own reflection led me to study the topic of social transformation from a complex system perspective. In complex systems, the notion of 'unit' varies in function of the level of analysis, which makes the concept of democracy (as one individual one vote) inadequate for most decision-making processes. Now, if one is to look at earth as a complex system and at man as a component of that system, then an important issue is to understand the hierarchical structure on which the system is based and how to include human activities and decisions in a way that would allow the system to be sustained over time.

While some urge for global democracy as a foundation for this sustainable system, others have more faith in local self-organised structures. If one is to adopt the second perspective, one needs to identify the level at which the conventional concept of democracy would generate the positive outcomes of collective decision-making while circumventing the limits of mass democracy. The village (or local community) seems like a good starting point for many types of activities requiring collective consultation, a level at which all individuals participating in the decision-making process know each other or have the possibility to do so. 

Once democracy is limited to that basic system (i.e. the village), the next step is to understand the higher components of the wider system (the higher-order systems in which the village-system is included). For anyone interested in learning about complex thinking, I would recommend starting with wiki entries or googling some of the following terms: emergence, complex adaptative system, self-organisation and cybernetics. From engineers to health professionals via social scientists, most of these concepts are very likely to represent valuable inputs. 

By the way, OSE is providing the first brick of a broader structure, but it would be fantastic if it could operate within a broader disciplinary spectrum than the current one. Some say that OSE's immediate objectives are too ambitious, I'd say they're not enough. The GVCS should not be a first step for later developments, but rather a catalyst and unifying initiative for complementary ideas to merge and interact, now.

Good luck to you Steve and good luck to all OSE participants, great project.

Igor

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion