Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
Dirt type for CEB?
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    KlaymenKlaymen

November 2011
    Has anyone used or considered using a traditional cob mix for the dirt in compressed earth bricks? I saw that the guy who replicated the CEB press was having problems finding a good soil to use. Seems like cob would be perfect for this.

• 5 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    dorkmodorkmo

November 2011
    what is cob?

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    KlaymenKlaymen

November 2011
    Cob is basically clay, sand, water, and straw (as a binder of sorts). 

Here's a somewhat good introductory video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_lsolsEyN4&feature=related

And here is a decent forum post that discusses type of straw to use: http://www.permies.com/t/10370/green-building/it-good-bad-or-ugly#94719

The whole Permies forum is filled with people who would be willing to answer any questions that you may have.

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    tecan

December 2011
    my mom grooms dogs, i got the idea of adding hair into the bricks for extra strenth and insulation.... anyone wana test it ? :)

• Vote Up0Vote Down December 2011
    There are much narrower tolerances on soil used for cob and adobe than for compressed earth bricks.  The mechanical compression makes adequately strong bricks with a looser quality control on the input.  The reason not to use cob mix is that it is harder to make than a tolerable earth brick mix.

• Tecan, my understanding is that you want as little organic matter as possible as it will over time disappear/disintegrate and create voids in the bricks which can lead to reduced strength. Now something like fiberglass strands would be interesting, but the bricks are quite strong already.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion