Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
Open-Source Cars: local-motors.com
  • 3 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down February 2011
    Not sure what happened to the rest of my post... I wrote much more than just the URL.
    Here's a recap:
    At SolidWorks World 2011 in San Antonio, I got to see the working prototype of the "Rally Fighter" open-source car from this local-motors.com project. They have a forum for collaboration on open-source designs for automobiles.
    The Rally Fighter is a $60,000 rally (offroad) race car, but is much less expensive than a non-open-source vehicle of this type would be to just buy.
    They're selling the experience of participating in building your own car. Not sure how into that I am, or their business model, but the idea of open-source collaboration on the -designs- of cars appeals to me, and I hope there can be some cross-pollination between our groups.

• @Wolfrick, I'm late a couple months in asking, but have you been in any contact with this group?

• p2pfoundation maintains a list of open-source car projects: http://p2pfoundation.net/Product_Hacking#Cars

I believe there are 18 projects on-the-go now, though of course most of them are vaporware. Still, I suspect there will be considerable cross-pollination, as you say. For example, you could take the chassis from the Rally Fighter and use it for a biofuel-powered car.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion