Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
Mike from Hamilton, Ontario - Looking to help out!
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    MikeA

August 2011
    Hey guys, I'm Mike, 27 years old and currently live in Hamilton, Ontario. I just discovered OSE two weeks ago (TED Talk) and I'm looking to get involved! The entire concept of OSE certainly appeals to me and is definitely something I'd love to contribute however I can.

I have two years working as a mechanical design engineer and am currently working as a project engineer, so if you guys need any CAD modeling/drafting or project management for specific projects point me in that direction.

My current contract job ends in October and I was looking to take some time off before starting up a new job up in Ottawa, so helping out at FeF for a couple months could definitely be in the agenda.

I can't wait to join this great community!

• 7 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    mjnmjn

August 2011
    Welcome to the OSE project, Mike.  Have a look at http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/Get_involved.  It will explain how to get a wiki account and some other basic things to get involved.  Then you might want to fill out the Team Culturing Form at http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/Team_Culturing, which tells us a lot about your outlooks and how you want to be involved.  I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have either here or by email (markjnorton (at) earthlink (dot) net).

- Mark

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    eBelleBell

August 2011
    Hey! The Hammer!

I'm not too far away in Waterloo. Too bad you're leaving for Ottawa, I think there's huge potential for an 'OSE North' branch between London/Kitchener/Waterloo/Hamilton.

If you were thinking about heading down to FeF in the next few months, perhaps we could carpool?

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    MikeA

August 2011
    Hey eBell! haha yes the Hammer!

Ya there could definitely be some pretty awesome development here with all the universities around. Do you know of any others around that are working on OSE?

And for sure I'll let you know if i end up going, I'd love the company for that drive it's definitely a long one!

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    eBelleBell

August 2011
    Actual factual progress working with OSE? No, none yet. There's been a lot of talk but nothing concrete happening.

I would be more inclined to get the ball rolling if I weren't so busy. Just graduated and working two jobs, one at a startup company.

What type of mecheng do you do?

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    MikeA

August 2011
    Haha I hear you on being busy!

My last job was pretty much pure design engineering in UG NX4. Lots of really cool design projects for metal/weld/assembly and just problem solving other issues as they came up. The job I'm in now is basically project engineering. A tiny component of actual engineering, but most of my time is spent chasing after late vendors, going to meetings and and organizing work around our manufacturing plant. It's good experience though so I can't complain too much.

Yourself?

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    eBelleBell

August 2011
    Oh wow, very cool stuff. Tons of applications for your expertise within OSE.

I finished an economics degree a year ago at UW, I'm doing business development work with bookneto and facilities/logistics work for the City's libraries. Very mixed work, at the library I do a lot of materials handling and minor maintenance. With the startup I work on building strategic partnerships, keeping the developers happy, sales and marketing. Great experience for being right out of school.

An OSE 'North' team would be valuable to try and develop one specific GVCS technology, and develop a bit of a Southern Ontario network around that one contribution. I feel like that's where the bottleneck is, and if Marcin wants this stuff to get off the ground having parallel development is crucial.

Do any of the non-prototyped techs strike your fancy? Perhaps you and I could collaborate on some feasibility analyses for a dedicated project visit after your contract.

• Bookneto is pretty cool! Sounds like you have quite a number of skills useful to OSE too!

I agree on an OSE 'North' team being a great idea for parallel development. It could be interesting to get some university kids involved too. I'm going to talk with some of my friends who are still in contact with our old profs and see if we could turn one of the designs into a project for them. We could have some of the main OSE guys set some of the basic design parameters and see if what the students come up with as well as whoever else wants to work on it. I know one of the mech eng classes at U of T would be perfect for it as that's basically what they have to do already.

I'm taking off hiking for the next 6 days up in Bon Echo, but when I come back next week I'll start looking some of these potential paths! Talk to you then

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Tagged