Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
This is eerily similar to OSE
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Conor

February 2011
    Question: Can you name a group based in central USA working towards a post-scarcity society? Here are some hints: they do practical experiments in the twin areas of digital fabrication and local food production. They share the results under an open license so that others can replicate their successes. They want to abolish scarcity by sharing useful information under public licences and decentralizing production of life's necessities. They have built several open-source machines and the plans for them are on their website. Can you guess who they are?

If you said 'Open Source Ecology', you were wrong. The group I am talking about is called ArkFab and their website is http://arkfab.org/. They've built an open-source spectrometer, which was on the list of needed open-source tools for RepLab.

Collaboration with these opensorcerors should definitely happen

• 9 Comments sorted by
  • And here's ArkFab's Executive Summary on Scribd.

ArkFab's founder is Liam Rattray: http://liamrattray.com/

• Vote Up0Vote Down February 2011
    The revolution will be is open source :)

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    Conor

February 2011
    The revolution will not be televised; the revolution will probably be streamed on YouTube

• @Conor, have you had the chance to make contact with them?

• Yes.

I didn't realize when I posted that, but they have collaborated a bit with OSE. Liam is signed up to the wiki and they mention OSE fairly often.

One of Arkfab's more direct contributions to the OSE toolkit is an open-source spectrophotometer. This was on our list of things to build, but Arkfab took care of it first.

• Sad, sad news. Liam with ArkFab died two weeks ago when he was hit by a drunk driver.

http://arkfab.org/

• I think we're all just totally speechless, that's why no one is commenting. This is simply terrible.

• A real tragedy.  I hope that ArkFab will continue it's work.  They have many worthwhile projects going on.

• I recently came across ArkFab and was very interested in their work. I sent them an email about a week ago but haven't gotten a response so if anyone knows who I can get a hold of please let me know. I would like to possibly work(volunteer) with them to share ideas and help get urban agriculture recognized any way I could.

I started a website a while back which I have just recently had the focus to work on. None of the following projects are there yet because I revamped the whole thing and haven't had the time yet to get all my work organized and  uploaded but I was focusing for a while on hydroponic urban farming with a strong interest in orbitropism for vertically growing crops in abandoned factory buildings in the heart of Green Bay, biodiesel production from waste vegetable oil to decrease some of the motivation to invade countries as well as offset a portion of the 260,000+ gallons of petroleum diesel used by the Metro (4-5 mi/gal 1,300,000 miles) *from an interview I conducted with the transit director.

I am currently experimenting with microalgae to figure out a viable way to extract the oil for a precursor to biodiesel and biodegradable biopolymers while also working toward promoting and developing an open source hardware project I founded recently for the automated culture of microalgae on an experimental scale.

Motorcycles are dangerous! Especially with all of those drunk drivers. There has to be multiple open source computer aided vehicles out there to combat the issue. I think it was DARPA that had a competition for cars that drove them selves. The g's got this car man....... it ....doesn't run on water, sorry.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Tagged