Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
cnc truck
  • Not quite what the title might imply--
    http://www.miiu.org/wiki/CNC_Truck#Design_Repository

This presents an interesting idea.  the ubiquitous pickup bed trailer shows that it need not remain a part of the truck, and a bed is generally decent sheet metal on a solid metal frame.  It should be pretty rigid, rigid enough for a wood router table?

They can also generally be purchased for much less than $1000, just requiring some rails and the gantry for the assembly, plus electronics.  Considering the parts list for the torch table, you could probably build one for a good bit less than the design in the wiki.

• 6 Comments sorted by
  • $1000!  You can build a "proper" router frame for much less than that.  Besides, try cutting away the sides and wheel wells and I think you will find a pretty flexible surface.

I do see what you are trying to achieve and it's the right direction I think.  Find something cheap that is already being mass produced.  Then use it where ever you can.

The Dawg

• a professionally made one can be $1000, so I figured it'd be a good round number for an estimate.  You can find them regularly for $500 or less, depending on location and such, and building one should be about that much.  I didn't want someone to come in with a higher price and kill my point.

You wouldn't cut anything off, not that I would anyway, most wouldn't have too much extra stuff on them to take up space and they're designed that way so cutting anything would, like you said, weaken the structure.

besides, a portable table might be of use.

• So you mean leave the wheel wells and use the area in between with walls and all?  OK, I misunderstood....:)  For machining relatively soft materials I think it would work just fine.  Make a gantry that bridges across from side to side and voila.

The Dawg

• I was actually thinking the triangular gantry from the original torch table would be the kind of design to use.  It only requires one side to be straight and true, reducing the complexity needed to make a machine this way.  While the sides of the truck are probably stiff enough, they are probably not as straight and true as you'd like for a CNC table.  This means that the rails will have to be tweaked as you install them to get them straight enough to give your machine reasonable accuracy.  Driving both sides isn't hard, but getting two rails six feet apart straight and parallel for the nine feet or so you have on a truck bed would be a trick.  Not trying to overblow the problem, but just having to true one side saves a good bit of effort, and all you need on the other side is to make sure the wheels stay on the rail.

It would cut down your Y axis a bit.

• Hmmm...you mean 2 trucks on one side of the Y axis and only one on the other?  Even then the rails would need to be parallel and on the same plane.

Or am I missing something?

The Dawg

• Basically.  The two trucks on the one side make the system square.  This means that as long as that rail is true, the system should be true.  The other side needs to be locked into its rail to allow downward pressure, but isn't required to be set to the same accuracy standards as the other.  Biggest deal would be up and down, to make sure it's not pulling the tip off the depth you want.

I suppose that might be enough to make it worthwhile to just do it all the way, but if not it might save some trouble.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Tagged