Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
  • http://designbreak.org/ -- started around 2005, and dormant since about 2008... perhaps the most unique facet of it: the workbench idea http://designbreak.org/?workbench

from the front page:

Welcome to designbreak.org a website specifically for collaborating on
    science, social and engineering projects with a global and humanitarian
    focus. designbreak.org is run by a 501(c)(3) non-profit, designbreak,
    which is dedicated to providing the support these projects need to go
    from internet collaborations, to a real impact on the world. Please see
    the about page for more information.

We need your help to get this movement and organization off the ground -- create an account
    and help collaborate! Anyone can create or edit projects, and please
    do. The ability to have your own voice is the power of wiki-style
    collaboration, so let our ideas into the world!

• 2 Comments sorted by
  • Are you recommending that we consider this as our collaboration application, Patrick?  What features does it have that we don't have in the OSE forum, blog, wiki, and chat room?

- Mark

• Thanks for the question.

I posted Design Break because I see similarities -- I hadn't considered exactly what or how OSE might gain from Design Break.

As far as I can tell, some of the key functions of Design Break remain proposals, not implemented in code, and the project is dormant/defunct. Zac Apte was at the core of it. Years ago Zac told me the workbench idea in Design Break was something like "I want to login to Design Break and do collaborative CAD through my web browser."

Otherwise, I think that Semantic MediaWiki with the LiquidThreads extension (improvements due in August) and the Halo extension (see also SMW+) might function as a graceful combo of the forums and wiki. The most integrated software I know of for Internet collaboration is Tiki Wiki/CMS/Groupware (offering spreadsheets, maps, currency, forums, structured data, and more), plugged in with Kaltura and BigBlueButton (integration). For similar thinking in this direction, see my blog comment in January 2011.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Tagged