Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
Open Source Ethanol Still
  • There is a discussion going on about the possibility of develop a simple, basic ethanol still at the Yahoo fuel alcohol forum:
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/alcoholfuel/message/12578

I think there is some potential here.

• 8 Comments sorted by
  • I was excited as this is a topic I plan on researching more (especially a few weeks after apple season), but there was some sort of preventative measure in place so I was unable to read/see anything.

• oh, I guess you need to be a member of that forum...

• The book "Alcohol Can be a Gas" has pretty much all you need to know about making alcohol. Its not that expensive either, for its size and detail. It is 640 pages.

• yeah, I have the book, but it lacks practical, real-life examples and instructions.  For instance, there are lots of still designs, and many are not very efficient, including many described in that book.

Some people have had a hard time verifying a lot of the technical info in the book, mostly dealing with feedstocks, but other things as well.

Don't get me wrong, I love the book, but it is by no means an instruction manual, and does not have everything you need to make alcohol.  It is a great oevrview of the may facets of alcohol production.

• Sorry if I sideline the conversation a bit, but I have a alcohol-fuel question.

I am curious about making a foodstuffs based fuels like ethanol, especially when looking at issues like desertification, the diminishment of the aquifer of the Great Plains and the drying up of many rivers.  If we use a host of genetically engineered crops to convert soil nutrients and water into fuel to burn in our cars to get around, will we be wasting two far more important resources?

• @ARGHaynes

The answer to that question is "it depends". Since OSE is about local resources and production, different locations will use different forms of energy generation. One area may have great sunlight and therefore use solar. Another area may have an excess of timber/wood, and use a gasifier. Another area may have coal. Still, another area may have tons of agricultural waste and use it to produce alcohol.

• no foodstuff crops can compete with the other available feedstocks, like mesquite beans (drought tolerant, nitrogen fixers, produce as much as corn per acre), prickly pears (dourght tolerant, good food for animals, produces 2-3 times what corn does per acre), cattails (wetlands, produces 10X what corn does per acre, considered a weed), and don't forget about fallen/damaged fruit....

All of these feedstocks could be grown on marginal land that isn't needed for food production.  Combine that with permaculture techniques, and you have ethanol without fertilizers, without irrigation, growing on marginal land, and can out-compete corn ethanol.

There are lots of desert plants that are suited to starch/sugar production, and nearly every single one of them produces 2-3 times or more the amount corn does per acre.

• the advantage alcohol has vs other alternative fuels is that you don't need to change the current infrastructure for using it.  Car modifications are basic, no need to invent another vehicle or engine.  That saves a lot of energy and cost in getting off the ground.  No batteries to charge, no woodgas generators, no CNG conversions...

and it is several times more efficient per acre than biodiesel (don't even talk about algae...)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Tagged