Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
John Herold from Upstate South Carolina
  • Hello Everybody,

I'm a CAD operator/Design Engineer by trade and I was an Electrician's Mate in the Naval Nuclear Power program. This has given me strong organizational and engineering skills, and I am capable of learning new skills or information when I have a need for it.

My Specific Skills:

Parametric CAD systems: (In Order of Proficiency)
    Unigraphics NX6
    Pro/E Wildfire 3 & 4
    Solidworks 2011
    MasterCAM X3 & X4
    AutoCAD
    Google Sketchup

Other Technical Software:
    Teamcenter
    Advanced Excel use

Coordinate Measuring Machine operation
    Romer Scanning Arm

Design Optimization
    For cost, manufacturability, operation, etc...

Power Systems
    Steam powerplant operation and maintenance

Machine Tool Operation:
    Operation and Maintenance of Haas VF-5

Electricity/electronics:
    AC/DC Motor maintenance and minor repairs
    Electrical troubleshooting, including digital circuits
    Instrumentation and Control operation, maintenance, and repair

Procedures and Standards:
    Proficient with Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing
    Development of Technical Documentation (BOM, ECR/ECM, Manufacturing instructions.
    Product Lifecycle Management System

And some skill in a variety of carpentry, maintenance, and other "handy" skills...

And I make an effort to acquire new skills when the opportunity presents itself.

• 8 Comments sorted by
  • As they say, "Name it and claim it."

http://openfarmtech.org/wiki/GVCS_Tools_Status

• So there is nobody in charge of coordinating human resources to assign people to the right project? I would think it would be more productive to have a small number of fully staffed projects rather than letting people spread out thinly across all of the projects?

I think some sort of leader/coordinator is necessary, at least until the point is reached where the project can sustain itself and be allowed to become completely ad-hoc. Is there a coordinator or someone already, or is that a position in need of filling?

• Hello and welcome. Have I got a small job for you. Please have a look here:

http://openfarmtech.org/forum/discussion/109/important-about-the-tractor.-

In this thread you will see some talk about the tractor design. It starts with a negative comment but then spawned what I think is good work.

So anyway, about half way down you will see me make some general suggestions. Mostly general fabricating strategies really. You will see that I discourage the drilling of the tractors boom, especially near the edge of the HSS. It would be great if we could come up with some hard numbers in this regard and many other issues relating to maximum loads and so on.

So how much strength do we lose when this sort of drilling is done? Can you help? I have many years of fabricating and designing under my belt but it's mostly done by feel so to speak.

Thanks,

The Dawg

• I agree with aneiren's comment. We need a coordinator. This is more important than any individual project, because the nature of this work has a hierarchy of machines which are used to build other machines. For example, the tractor is extremely important, however, if we don't have the tools to build it, there isn't much use in a detailed design.

We need to focus on just a few projects as well, as aneiren stated.

• @Dawn when I get back to my computer I'll look into running simulations. I have a low cost CAD program that allows parametric design, and CAD seems to be the area abandoned by open source software development so I am probably going to need to recreate any models in a parametric system in order to leverage any advance in CAD that has been made since 1981. Any programmers out there, please contact me so we can initiate a real open source engineering software suite... I have a good deal of information that will facilitate this effort.

• That was @Dawg but I am trapped on a plane and haven't eaten in hours and im feeling ill... /whine

• I'm trapped on a sphere- one more dimension than a plane- but I understand.

The current set up is to let people work as they can, do you have a project you want to claim as your own?

• Airplane. I thought that would be obvious... But when I do work on a project I would like to know I'm not completely on my own. This isn't supposed to be a hacker space where everyone does whatever, but a coordinated effort towards a specific goal.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion