Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
Philippines GVCS needed
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    MetzMetz

November 2013
    By now you all have heard about the typhoon that has hit here. We are looking for people to implement GVCS projects in Tacloban. The city has been demolished along with the surrounding areas.

My shop is available in the !etro Manila area for implementation of a real world test of the GVCS concept. We missed the worst of the typhoon in the metro Manila area. We are fully operational.

I am opening up my shop tp build GVCS machines and to a real world implementation of the designs.

I can provide housing, and a shop with a CNC plasma machine, DC welder, tools. I have contacts with some of the local relief groups. Several guys in my network have been on the ground since day 2 after the storm. Others have been on the ground since the earthquake a few months ago.

If anyone wants to come over, and make a difference let me know.

Local number is (63)9 178261413 (cell)or email me at metzindustries- at gmail with a US or Canadin number and I can call via magic jack.

You can get visa on arrival for 59 days. I can provide housing and shop facilities. Consumables, I don't have a lot of resources but I do know the local suppliers so you don't get ripped. I also have contacts with the local shipping companies.

Send me a email if interested.

Butte

• 1 Comment sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    roleic

November 2013
    Dear Metz, you brought up an interesting angle: To use the GVCS for natural catastrophy areas. I would like to think about the potential applicability of GVCS in disaster zones. An important variable is the time after the disaster. Depending on the time after a disaster different needs must be served and therefore different equipment may be required.

Immediate Aid:
    E.g. right after the disaster medical care for injured people is probably the most urgent. Next might be recovering of buried and trapped people. Meanwhile the uninjured survivors need clean water, food, shelter and sanitary facilities. To enable this aid a minimum infrastructure must be established very fast. Communication, transport by air, waterway and road, clearing of the most critical access ways. Bringing in heavy machinery for clearing roads and recovering trapped people. All these things should happen in the first hours and days. There is not enough time to build the needed equipment first before transporting it to the disaster zone. Existing equipment must be brought in quickly. Therefore I don't see a realistic application of GVCS for immediate aid. After all the GVCS is intended to build and maintain small farming villages within a time frame of one to several years.

Rebuilding Infrastructure
    Rebuilding roads, drinking water grid, power grid, communication grid, waste water disposal, housing etc. are tasks that come in the following weeks and months. It seems here are more tasks overlapping with the GVCS purposes and time frames.
    For removal of rubbel and many kinds of construction work the truck, the bulldozer and tractor equipped with bucket loader and backhoe would be useful.
    Since the rubbel contains much combustible wood also the chipper/hammermill, the pelletizer, the gasifier, the heat exchanger and the steam engine could be used to stationary generate heat and electrical or hydraulic power. If a mobile version of the gasifier could be built it could make a gasoline engine - like in the power cube - run on scrap wood (as has been done in Europe during WW2). In rural areas also the wind mill might be useful.
    The induction furnace could be used to recycle scrap metal in the rubbel.
    For construction the cement mixer, and the rod/wire mill producing rebar as well as the CEB press could be applied. The last three seem more appropriate for reconstruction in rural areas since the demand of steel and concrete for a city require more productive facilities. Also the well drilling rig seems useful in rural areas.

In order to build the GVCS equipment mentioned above the industrial types of GVCS equipment are required like welder, plasma cutter, iron worker etc. Of course all the equipment should be developed and field tested to a sufficient degree before using it in rebuilding of disaster zones.

Aid organisations are in the media during the immediate help shortly after a disaster. But their main work is during the rebuilding phase in underdeveloped areas. For this purpose it might be a possibility that aid organisations keep material kits for GVCS equipment on stock to bring into (rural) disaster zones soon to enable self help of the local population.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Tagged