Visit the forum instructions to learn how to post to the forum, enable email notifications, subscribe to a category to receive emails when there are new discussions (like a mailing list), bookmark discussions and to see other tips to get the most out of our forum!
Group Chat
  • We are searching for a chat software where all people who are doing something about OSE can exchange information.

Current requirements are:
    0) Data can be saved on our server
    1) History - to be able to view what happened before
    2) Groups - to have different groups for different kinds of discussions
    3) Search - to be able to search in the chat

Features nice to have:
    a) online chat

Possible options:
    Skype - 1), 2) 3)
    Facebook Group - 1) and 2)
    IRC - 1 (has to be checked), 2), 3 (not sure, have to be checked)
    Jabber - TODO ...
    Drupal Chat - TODO

If you have any ideas, please share :)

Thank you,

Nikolay and Elifarley

• 9 Comments sorted by
  • quick introduction. Hello, Nicolas nice to meet you. My name is Jeff W and I'm here to help.
    I believe what you are looking for is the open sourced version of the recently closed google wave.

or is on this page

:)

• Hi Jeff,

thank you very much for the link. Yes, we are searching something like that. http://sync.in is a very good like Google Docs, but does not fit requirements and is not open sourced.
    We are still looking for chat possibilities ...

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    ori_sh

January 2011
    Hi,

Have u thought about using the Diaspora project?

• I'd like to one day start using the Appleseed project: http://opensource.appleseedproject.org/

Appleseed is not aWalled Garden.
    Appleseed providesOpen Access to all its users, while maintaining the privacy and security of your data.

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    ori_sh

January 2011
    thanks elifarley, I haven't heard about this project til now, It really seem more mature then Diaspora.

jeff - phpbb meets all the requirements, even a) with the mchat modification :http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/mchat_new_version/

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    DerekDerek

February 2011
    Hi everyone my name is Derek. I think the only problem I see with Appleseed is it says you need to pick a site. 

I think it important to have an open source P2P DOSN that can be used with or without the internet, that uses p2p bit-torrent file sharing and DATA transfer and that is compatible with packet radio, High-speed multimedia radio (HSMM), or other 802.11g networks using OLSR (Optimized Link State Routing Protocol) while meeting your requirements for the following.

0) Data can be saved on our server - If it is a P2P DOSN this should be automatic as it would be saved on everyones server (PC) who was involved.
    1) History - to be able to view what happened before - If 0 is automatic than this should be also
    2) Groups - to have different groups for different kinds of discussions - most Social Networks and BB including phpbb offer this
    3) Search - to be able to search in the chat -  many BBs including phpbb offer this.
    a) online chat -  phpbb offer this. 

I would like to add that "group" audio video chat with screen sharing (when bandwidth and signal sufficient) would be a huge plus

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    elkos

February 2011
    How about using Openmeetings?

• I've added your suggestion to our wiki page on meeting planning.

Thanks elkos!

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    elkos

February 2011
    Well I would mention dimdim but some company bought the project and they stopped allowing new signups

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Tagged